Loosing too much fuel

Hi everyone. Ive had my pulsar for a few months now. It has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. At first the car was running fine and giving rather good mpg. However after tampering with it a little . The car is now drinking too much. Now my fuel needle drops after a few miles. I adjusted it bk to how it was first but stilll the same problem. There are definately no leaks. So i wanted to ask what could it be? Also the gauge on the fpr isnt working. The car also has a hks afr. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Also i thought it might be important to add that the car is standard as far as i know apart from the fmic that i fitted, air filter , afr, fpr, 5zigen exhaust, decat. And magnecore leads.

darkyGTI-R

Are you sure your injectors are not leaking?
If they are when you open the bonnet you would smell petrol really strong and also see where the fuel had been leaking onto the throttle bodies?
I am only saying this as that's what happened to mine!

whytie

Also i thought it might be important to add that the car is standard as far as i know apart from the fmic that i fitted, air filter , afr, fpr, 5zigen exhaust, decat. And magnecore leads.

No need for a fuel pressure regualtor, fling it to feck.

P

pulsarboby

agree with above, take it off and put standard one back

No need for a fuel pressure regualtor, fling it to feck.
ok thanks, but could you explain how it works? :p like is it suppose to give better fuel economy (when its at a lower pressure)? or something? or is it there to adjust the stock fuel pressure to a higher level?

lol. im lazy) :D

stumo

ok thanks, but could you explain how it works? :p like is it suppose to give better fuel economy (when its at a lower pressure)? or something? or is it there to adjust the stock fuel pressure to a higher level?

lol. im lazy) :D
If you have no idea what it does....why adjust it? :der:

Just put the standard one back (so you can't feck about with it),

if you mess with the pressure you could kill your engine!

and you wouldn't want that now would you?

Me? I would laugh my cock off and point at the dumbass :thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Most of the time and adjustable FPR seems to be a bodge to avoid fitting bigger injectors. They seem to be more trouble than they're worth, but people fit them anyway... I guess if you know what you're doing they're useful.

ok kool, thanks for your help, everyone who commented! it came with the car so i assumed that "gav" the member who owned it before, must have put it on for a reason! lol, i dont have the standard one, and the cars been running absolutely fine every day like normal, no problems! thank god! for the past 12 months! boosts fine, doesnt smoke, no dodgy noises, everything seems fine! so i guess ill just leave it on , and get the pressure guage fixed! :D and take it to someone who can tune the car with what its got!

its on 0.7 bar boost, standard!
is it safe to put boost up to 1 bar? :D

(im asking stupid questions arnt i? lol .. im only 19) bare with me!

stumo

So, let me get this straight, you've got a fuel pressure guage (that's faulty) and an adjustable pressure reg?

OK, 1st get the guage fixed....

On the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) there should be a thin pipe and two thick pipes, the thick pipes are the the fuel pipes and the thin one goes to the manifold and is for referencing the boost/vacuum.

Remove the thin pipe and blank it off, then start the car.

Don't worry if it runs a little funny.

(this is the bit you'll like....) adjust the pressure to read 3Bar (about 44psi).

Stop the engine.

Refit the thin pipe onto the FPR,

Start the engine, the fuel pressure should now be lower than 3 Bar....that is how it should be.

If you rev the car the pressure will fluctuate, if it doesn't then either the FPR is faulty OR the thin pipe isn't connected to the right place.

That's the job finished.

NOW DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!

Trondelond

its on 0.7 bar boost, standard!
is it safe to put boost up to 1 bar? :D

(im asking stupid questions arnt i? lol .. im only 19) bare with me!
If you don't know, you ask. Or preferrably search first, then ask. :)
There's heaps of info on here regarding running at 1 bar. And provided you sort out your fuel issues and get the car mapped, 1 bar is no problem at all.

Edit : what do you know. Stumo sorted out your fuel issues. 1 bar next!

Ok wicked. - Ill get the guage fixed tomorow, and see how things go from there. :D

Also I have another small problem. The car has had the blitz dsbc fitted but the car never came with the actual controller. So when i realised there was one in mint condition going on ebay I thought "dsbc. Lets go for it". Got it £60. Bargain?
Looks brand new. Unused. Powers upp etc fine.
Now when it arrived i thought yippppy plug and play lol. But wot happend? The plugs didnt fit together, lol now i dno if its due to it being the difference between old and new or. Spec s. And spec r. It says dsbc on it so i assume it can control a dual solenoid. My question is can i just piggy back the wires? It has a red+ black- blue and a white wire . The car has a red blue and black but no white. Lol sooooo.... Is it a no no? Or a shudnt be a problem?
I mean i jus wna gt tge car up to 1 bar. The spec s is for 1.3 bar and the spec r is for 2.5 bar i.e high boosting cars. I rekon the dual solenoid goes with the spec r and the controller i hav is spec s. Butt it says dual sbc on my controller. Wich then leaves me thinking that the problem must be "old solenoid system and newer modle boost controller. Now can anyone fill me in? Or hav i confused u guys as much as i am? Lol apologies. Please helppppppp:D

Last edited by a moderator:

whytie

you should be able to buy the harness for what ever controller you have. Keeps things neat and tidy using the proper plugs than chopping wires ect.

soryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! but is this how i upload a picture from photobucket? by copy and pasting the follwing .... (moment of truth)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm guessing it's four wires to the solenoid, and one for power to the unit... but it's no inconceivable that a spec-S and spec-R are incompatible with each other. For example an HKS EVC III has a different solenoid from the EVC II (ports the other way around), and from later models (which actually have a solenoid rather than a little motor). The fact that the solenoids are for different boost levels suggests that they are definitely not the same units.

What supporting mods have you done to push for 1bar and above? I know you've got a FPR... but I'm not sure I'd trust that to compensate for a 20-year old fuel pump. You don't actually need the SBC to achieve 1bar, but I can't criticise you for buying one (I bought an HKS EVC off eBay, which has now died, so I did the same thing); if you've still got the factory solenoid in you can just do the 1bar loop. Or, for a bit more money you can fit a dawes device; there's no toys in the cockpit to play with, but it does the job nicely... and more importantly, it doesn't go wrong nearly as often as the electronics do.

ok, well good news first! i fitted the boost controller in regardless, lol i took the gamble, piggybacked the wires, and it worked out perfectly fine, the purple wire is going spare, but who cares! the controller is in and all working, boosts perfect, programmed the boost settings and woooooh, wot a transformation! its at 1 bar, hehehe :-D raced an R8 today! stayed withh him 58 plate! :-D im soo chuffed!

down side is basicaly i tried to sort out the fpr gauge, and cleaned it etc, was jammed at a certain point, blasted it with a air compressor and it kinda loosend up and then wd40 , did kinda work, but its not perfect, so i gues it needs replacing for sure! wen u adjust the fpr before the car starts to missss, the needle fluctuates alot, .. but it duz nothing wen u rev!

so sad! buttt still have the fuel problem, ther are no leaks, and yet still its killing me on mpg, and i try to drive as good as i can! but even without boosting it still lets me down! myt hav to take it to a pro now!

thanks everyone who helped! ur comments never went waisted! :-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm glad to hear it worked with the EBC.

My concern would be that the needle is fluctuating because your pump can't maintain a steady flow, but as I don't really know how to set-up an FPR that's just a guess based on paranoia.

Just out of interest, what MPG are you getting; how far does a tank take you? From memory ~200 miles is pretty average for a GTi-R - more if you're doing a lot of highway driving (and can resist the temptation to race people all the time), less if you're doing mainly stop-start driving (and racing R8s ;-)).
If it's less than ~180 miles then you probably do have a problem, if not... welcome to our world. :twisted: