Garret GT3076R - experienced opinions? - Vs 3071?

Trip

Fazz said:
GT3071R: This is the base turbo included in the kit. The turbo is perfect for those who want way more power than the stock turbo make, but don't want to go overboard with supporting mods. Our base fuel kit and 750cc injectors without a return line will max this turbo out. You will see full boost around 2800-2900rpm in most conditions, and the turbo will support 425whp if you feel that you need to turn up the boost to 28. If you road race, autocross, or simply want the quickest spooling aftermarket turbo setup that supports over 400whp, then the 3071R is for you. We recommend this turbo in a .63 A/R turbine housing.

GT3076R: This is probably the best matched ball bearing turbo for the 2.4L motor for street/strip purposes. It spools fast, and makes great power at all rpm levels and all boost levels. The turbo has a 52lb/min 56 trim compressor wheel in a 4” inlet port shroud compressor housing to minimize the chance of compressor surge. The turbine wheel is the standard 84 trim GT30. This turbo is perfect for those wanting to make big power on pump gas and go to the track once in a while at run some 11's. Full boost should be right around 3100-3200rpms with a .63 A/R turbine housing. On our test cars, we've pulled over 420whp on pump gas at 23psi. The maximum boost is around 33psi where we have seen 520whp. If these numbers are big enough for you, then look no further and order the 3076R. It’s kind of like the good ‘ol 50 trim standard bearing turbo we’ve grown to love over the years, however the 3076R has a little more balls. We recommend this turbo in a .63 A/R turbine housing. This turbo is also known as the GT30R and GT3052.
From where did you get this info ? Is it for a 2ltr 4cyl engine ?

O

Odin

Trip said:

If you read it, It does say that the 3076R is the best turbo for a 2.4 lt engine matey, But I would of thought that it would also work pretty well on a tuned SR20 motor as well, But from reading that info who could possibly need more than the 430 WHP that you can get with a 3071R ? 8) .

And full boost before 3000 RPM :shock: :der: .

My own turbo will only produce a little more top end power but doesn't hit peek power to 5500 RPM, I know what one I'd rather have under the bonnet ;-) .

Rob

Fazz

Trip said:

I could check laptop at home but it was either an evo or other tuning co who were developing kits best suited to 4cyl engines..

The 3071 was for 1.8-2.0 4cyl applications.
They found the 3076 best for 2.4 as stated.

On the power front, as Rob states the 3071 more than covers the majority of our needs, and with significantly better spool time than any other turbo.

The choice of AR and inlet will affect this, but not by a whole lot.

Even the smallest 3071R-WG with .64AR and 2.75" inlet seems to be capable of 450bhp at full boost. This is actually probably my weapon of choice. Especially as it bolts straight on and the inlet clears the gearbox when using standard mani. ....

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fazz said:
Even the smallest 3071R-WG with .64AR and 2.75" inlet seems to be capable of 450bhp at full boost. This is actually probably my weapon of choice. Especially as it bolts straight on and the inlet clears the gearbox when using standard mani. ....
If you read the write ups on here about the particular spec you'll find that it was the version that gave Stu (Dooie) such bad boost creep, this was sorted by the wastegate valve being enlarged and flowed a little. The .86ar version I got has never suffered from and creep and as mentioned already hit 1.77 bar by 3000 rpm.

The .86 ar version is the one to get :-D

Steve

Fazz

stevepudney said:
If you read the write ups on here about the particular spec you'll find that it was the version that gave Stu (Dooie) such bad boost creep, this was sorted by the wastegate valve being enlarged and flowed a little. The .86ar version I got has never suffered from and creep and as mentioned already hit 1.77 bar by 3000 rpm.

Steve

However Jim has no such boost creep issues with same spec as dooie's, which may be down to the fitting of sensor/boost reading from compressor. As clsoe as possible seems to help.

Although I do think Dooie has a 3" downpipe but Jim had standard, so perhaps this is the cause? maybe the extra flow creates backpressure?

Do you have a low boost setting Steve? Do you have a standard downpipe or bigger?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
My boost setting is 1.7 - 1.8 bar and I have the same 3" Janspeed Exhaust as Stu. The boost sensor (greddy Profec B) takes it's reading from the plenum at the moment although I have toyed with putting it closer to the comp housing.
The reason I didn't move the boost sensor feed is that I want the boost sensor to read the boost thats available to the engine not the boost being developed at the compressor.

Dan_GTiR

Some really good info and views about the 3071.

I take it, people who are running this turbo are using it on a built engine, ie. forged pistons, head work etc.

How would this turbo fare on a standard engine, with just a few basic mods done to it, ie. air filter, exhaust, boost controller, FMIC and 550 injectors?

All info and replies appreciated.

Dan.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Fazz said:
GT3076R: This is probably the best matched ball bearing turbo for the 2.4L motor for street/strip purposes. It spools fast, and makes great power at all rpm levels and all boost levels.
I've noticed alot of people are using the GT35R on 2.3/4L's etc and they all seem to be producing 600bhp+:-D

djdoc360

ok can u run a 3071 on a chipped ecu? if i bought a 3071 would i have to invested in other things or is it a direct plug and play swapp for the stock gtir turbo?

bracpan

campbellju said:
I don't know your experience so excuse me if I'm teaching you to "suck eggs".

1. Invest your money and time in setting up the car properly, more HP never made anyone corner faster. First get sticky tyres. Then get some coilovers, an adjustable rear ARB and some rose jointed tie rod ends from Kirko. Get yourself a cup of tea and read some of my stickies. My car is optimised for 30-90mph and doesn't suffer with any understeer on the type of corners you're talking about. Bracpan published a photo recently of his car heroically negotiating a similar corner on 3 wheels.
I have spent a lot of time and money not counting over 20 years of racing experience setting up the Pulsar, I personaly dont mind a car that understeers on SLOW corners, specially if the road is only around 13ft wide, and there is no room for time wasting oversteer..... But the corner the car was pictured on was a 120+Degree hairpin with an incredable steep entry and exit....and to be honest if the car is not on 3 wheels you not Bloody trying.....so dont try and teach me how to suck eggs.. until you know the full story behind the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

bracpan

PS just for your info D2's are crap.....and you cant just alter spring rates if the shocks are not calibrated for the springs.

PPS to corner quick you have to carry speed all through the corner thats quick in and quick out, This slow in fast out is what is says SLOW.. just because there is a wheel in the air does not meen the car is going foward quickly (infact less drag) that picture was taken on the quickest time I ever set on that Hillclimb by over 1.5 seconds... might not look pretty but I it works. (and the spectators like it to)

PPPS Use the handbrake !!!! You Having a Laugh !!!! that meens you have to dip the clutch which meens no drive and thus no going forward = lost time, might be ok in a Tesco car park at night to impress your girlfriend but not on speed event..were hundreds of a second can mean wining or loosing

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
djdoc360 said:
ok can u run a 3071 on a chipped ecu? if i bought a 3071 would i have to invested in other things or is it a direct plug and play swapp for the stock gtir turbo?

Chipped ECU is a pre-defined map suited to god knows what spec... Maybe just slightly more aggressive map for the standard setup..

If you are using the GT3071 then you will need to look into new management for your engine...

Rishi

Dan_GTiR

stevepudney said:

Steve
As you said, the .86A/R turbine version is the onbe to have, does your's have the 4" inlet or the 2.75" inlet like the .64A/R?

bracpan

Thanks for all the info on the 3071, great link..sounds like the turbo that would suit my car. Amazed to see that it pulls so strong from so low down.
Cheers
Phil

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Dan_GTiR said:
As you said, the .86A/R turbine version is the onbe to have, does your's have the 4" inlet or the 2.75" inlet like the .64A/R?
2.75" inlet connected to 3" inlet pipe and a huge Apexi Super Filter.

Dan_GTiR

stevepudney said:
2.75" inlet connected to 3" inlet pipe and a huge Apexi Super Filter.
Thanks for that Steve.

Any views on using this turbo on an internally standard engine??

Dan.