Garret GT3076R - experienced opinions? - Vs 3071?

Fazz

Hi guys,

I know Simmo had one of these trialled for an evening but without a proper map.
I also know he was going for one of these before he upped and sold up.

Jobi had thoughts I think but went with a 3071.

I would like to know opinions and experience on thsi turbo with the GTI-R if possible, or even outside the GTI-R to confrim spool ups etc.

I know the 3071 is the turbo of choice, low lag, quick spool up and about 400-450bhp if pushed.

However, the 3076R is also appealing to me due to the now 3" inlet option available, internal wastegate aslo a possibility if required, together with the GT series advantage of quicker spool ups.
Also capablility of 500bhp.

My needs are undefined, but I do like the idea of not pushing the turbo and car to its limits. i.e running say 1.2bar everyday - which would prob see 350bhp on 3071, or 400bhp on 3076 I think - give or take.

So has anyone expereince of this turbo please?
In comparison to the 3071?
Spool up rates in comparison to 3071?

I'm prob going with a direct replacement internal gate config to start off with. The standard mani seems strong enough, and want to try and keep things simple without the hassle of getting custom welding for mani, ext gate, screamer etc etc.
3071 is proven on here by quite a few owners, but how comparable is the 3076?
It has more bhp capabilities, but how much more lag?

Clearly I'm not decided on sticking with 400bhp - otherwise it'd be 3071 anyway. So the possibility of 500bhp if i chose, or if not then still run the 400bhp and at lower boost, but maybe a tad more lag.. Hence why I think its a decent option.

I know 500bhp should be an ext gate, but obviously the turbo has been made to cope with the int gate and its available as such.

Thanks,

Fazz

Dooie Pop Pop

00sid would be a good one to ask but he' s not about much. his 3076 is mapped to 2bar iirc with an external gate. think he was getting 126mph terminals at totb

F

Fusion Ed

I have not yet got a datalog of the 3076, however as soon as I do I shall add it to the others I have for comparison. Unfortunately this may be too late for you but I'm sure it will help others in the future.

ashills

the 3076 will realy struggle to make anymore power than the 3071 if u keep as a t28 exhaust housing as thats the limiting factor rather than the front end
a 2.3 evo stroked engine with good profile cams only made 450ish at 1.9 bar with the t28 exhaust 3076 and that had the 4" gt40 style cover

Fazz

thks.

so would 3071 spool much quicker than 3076?

i do intend to stick with standard mani so 3071 the recommendation then?

Dooie Pop Pop

my 3071 quite surprisingly got me a terminal speed at rotorstock .2 mph faster than Si' s running less boost. no dissing Si or his car either btw thats just how it was on the day.

ashills

the 3071 has a smaller wheel so will spool faster
we have decided that the 3071 with larger housing is really best option as is nicer to drive on road and still spools at a silly fast speed

G

GTI-R Kid

Ashills - is it similar in the way it comes on boost when compared to the standard unit? As in quick and really feel the kick? Only ask as I was taken for a spin in an Audi S3 once, and while it had close on 300 ponies it felt too restrained and like there was no urgency in the turbo. I like the way the GTI-R just goes ballistic and you really know about it.

ashills

teh 3071 spools a lot faster than the standard turbo and can hold the power all through the rev range

Fazz

Ashills - when u say larger housing - do you mean .83 or 1.0 AR?

The .6 being the smaller one.. Does the larger housing affect lag much?

Does the 3"inlet fit ok or do ye change to 2.75" then?

ashills

sorry i mean the .83 from data logs on steve pudneys car we did the .8 housing had .1 bar at 3k and 1.7bar at 3500rpm so lag still isnt an issue with them and the .83 will hold power better higher up the rev range

T

Trust-R

quick spool turbo's
i think ill stick with my TDO6 and external wastegate for the time being, im making around 415ps and the TD06 is a very quick spool turbo

gtir- kid well said i totally agree with you, many cars feel like that not an R tho

T

tro||

ashills said:
td06 very good tractor turbo u have there :)
very good expensive tractor turbo :lol:

it amazes me people still bother with those things tbh

Trip

Sorry to buldge in this topic.
I had my first race last sunday and being a very short twisty run i was suffering from low end power.. there is not enough road to close 2nd gear and most of the times (after a curve) i ended up 2nd gear at 3000rpm without enough grant to accelerate:x .

What is the best choice of turbo and AR for best low end torque a ultra quick spool time in conjuction with Anti-lag. I already bought a dp manifold with ext wg. Looking for not more then 500 bhp on VP 103octane.

edit: my down pipe and FMIC piping will be custom fit, rad fans can be re-allocated too.

Last edited:
O

Odin

Trip said:
Sorry to buldge in this topic.
I had my first race last sunday and being a very short twisty run i was suffering from low end power.. there is not enough road to close 2nd gear and most of the times (after a curve) i ended up 2nd gear at 3000rpm without enough grant to accelerate:x .

What is the best choice of turbo and AR for best low end torque a ultra quick spool time in conjuction with Anti-lag. I already bought a dp manifold with ext wg. Looking for not more then 500 bhp on VP 103octane.

edit: my down pipe and FMIC piping will be custom fit, rad fans can be re-allocated too.

I think you will be looking at the 3071R because this will get to 450-480bhp maybe more and will spool the quickest, It seem's to be the best turbo choice at the moment, It does everything it says on the tin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'm sure someone who know's more about turbo's will be along soon enough to agree with me or put me right :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Fazz

As above seems to be the consensus.

You will be running high boost to get that power though.

Also on the AR = .64 for quicker spool up but seom with experience have said the .86 gives better flow results on the 3071.

PS - second gear and 3k rpm... so about 25mph... thats far to slow to go around corners... :) :) no wonder there was lag!!!

O

Odin

If you want to try some real lag then you need my turbo :doh: , If you're in the wrong gear then it's like hitting a brick wall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But if you keep it on boost it will tear you're head clean off you're shoulders :shock: 8) , And will make 500 bhp so they say ;-) , I did a track day with it a while ago and the only time it was a problem really was on the tight hair pin corner.

I will probably be changing to the 3071R myself next year because I don't like the drop off between gears that I get with mine, But with my engine rebuilt and a 8500 rev limit it shouldn't be such a problem :twisted: :shock: .

Rob

Trip

Fazz said:
As above seems to be the consensus.

You will be running high boost to get that power though.

Also on the AR = .64 for quicker spool up but seom with experience have said the .86 gives better flow results on the 3071.

PS - second gear and 3k rpm... so about 25mph... thats far to slow to go around corners... :) :) no wonder there was lag!!!
I have mixed opinions between the .64 and .86 since i'll be using anti-lag.

The curve is more of a 180 deg curve and very sharp. meaning there is no inner curve. And yes at that speed, my front tyres screamed (understeer) . To say everything. my car is still standard spec and it was my first race and 0 to no experience driving a pulsar.