Garage wrote my 'R' off yesterday

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
modifiede36m3 said:
It is in storage at the moment with the guy who recovered it from where it was crashed. The owner of the recovery company is a friend of the person who crashed it. A mate of mine is a licenced salvage dealer, so maybe he will be able to get hold of it for me. will have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.
I'm sure he did drag it out before he told you, he's protecting his business.

All this smells of a huge cover up by the garage (protecting his insurance and business), why on earth has someone else got your car (time to hide any incriminating evidence).

I can't believe you haven't got the police and a loss adjuster involved !!! I would be all over him and not leaving him alone until I got what I wanted :evil:

He has your property for Christ's sake !!! it should be with you not being held by the bloke who crashed it so he has the weekend to cover it all up.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
all the time its in storage its all adding on to the bill, remember insurance will only fix a car up to 60% of its value, the recovery, storage costs and any other assosciated costs incl car hire, hotel room etc are all added to the 60%.

his mate could be charging £50 a day or even more, plus over £100 to recover it in the first place

saddler

stevepudney said:
I'm sure he did drag it out before he told you, he's protecting his business.

All this smells of a huge cover up by the garage (protecting his insurance and business), why on earth has someone else got your car (time to hide any incriminating evidence).

I can't believe you haven't got the police and a loss adjuster involved !!! I would be all over him and not leaving him alone until I got what I wanted :evil:

He has your property for Christ's sake !!! it should be with you not being held by the bloke who crashed it so he has the weekend to cover it all up.
Very Good post..

Fire & skill

Vintage member
saddler said:
Very Good post..
totally agree, something smells fishy as well - I'd get in touch with the police ASAP - its either that or you could miss out - some insurance policies dont cover mechanical failure (as he claims it was the brakes)

I'd be getting my finger out and straight to the copshop to carry out an incident report - end of the day its your property and he shouldn't have been driving it in the first place. what if he'd wiped out another car / killed someone with his attempt at a scandanavian flick. do us all a favour mate and get this knobjockey off our roads - should have been done with careless driving

M

modifiede36m3

There is no charge for storage. It has not been hidden. It is with the recovery company not withthe guy who crashed it. I have seen the car and there does not seem to be any alterior motive.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gtirbhp

erm did they even ask you where YOU wanted the car to go? They cannot just take your car away to some random garage unless you specified that. I mean come on its not France here and it doesnt matter if its a write off or not they still should be asking where you want it to go (normally to a repair centre to survey the damage/costs)

From what i have read on this thread i would personnally already have been to the police - at the very least to get an incident report filled out and maybe get the police to view the car AND crash site as it sounds to me like your going to end up as the loser as garages can make up alot of excuses to not pay out and not even reporting it is just crazy - sorry but it is. If it were my car i would have either had a friend go cave the ar5eholes head in (so im not liable :lol:) OR report it to the police NOT just sit their like everything will work out...

good luck

G

gtirbhp

modifiede36m3 said:
There is no charge for storage. It has not been hidden. It is with the recovery company not withthe guy who crashed it. I have seen the car and there does not seem to be any alterior motive.

Steve
And nor did you seem suspicious when dropping it at the first garage only to return to see a wrote off car - so maybe things go deeper than you think...

One minute your saying 'i hope my friend who works salvage can get my car back for me' and the next your saying 'nah its ok im not paying for storage etc etc'

Your car = you can do what the fcuk you want with it not trying to figure out ways in which to get it.. I would heed the advice of fellow OC'Rs and sort this out.

If you want your car simply go with a tow truck and have it removed from what sounds like some dodgy dealings.. You have to be mad to let that car out your site after what has happened :doh:

M

modifiede36m3

Hold on!! The car needs to be inspected by the insurance company yet. Why would I want to pay and get the car moved to my house? I am talking about afterwards when the insurance company writes it off! It then normally become thier property. No-one can do anything with the car. it is well passsed that!!!. As long as I get my money I am not bothered.

Steve

M

modifiede36m3

I will speak to the guy who crashed it tomorrow.

Steve

P

pulsarboby

what people are trying to tell you in a roundabout way is the fact that this recovery guy you say is mates with the garage owner, correct?

now they take the car to his pound where its at, at the moment!

now the guy in the garage said the accident happened through brake failiure, correct?

how easy it would be to make this seem like the cause of the accident, will take 10 minutes to create a leak on the brake system and drain the fluid away!!!

now, where does this leave you steve? answer....up sh1tcreek without a paddle!

that car should have been recovered by an independant firm to either your address or a chosen repairer of your insurance company, where loss adjuster can view the damage sustained, and nowhere else!

you just now need to pray that those brakes havent been doctored with or you really have got a huge problem here.

O

owens

i must agree with bob, it could be likely that they are going to doctor the car

G

gtirbhp

modifiede36m3 said:
Hold on!! The car needs to be inspected by the insurance company yet. Why would I want to pay and get the car moved to my house?

Steve
you wouldnt want to pay BUT after that guy wrote your car off his 'friend' should have delivered the car to where YOU specified NOT the garage owner or his buddy with the tow truck.At that point you could have had it sent to your house, why? because then nobody can doctor the car to cover up their big mistakes.

Now the insurer who goes to check the car might be putting it down to faulty brakes :? and i wonder why ;-)

The car is still 100% yours until it is written off and we all know how long that bureaucratic process can take.

Hope it works out well!

and i know you seriously cant be trusting this garage guy and his buddy to be honest etc as you know how that works out dont you :(

M

modifiede36m3

Good points Guys. Will get it taken back to my house.

Cheers
Steve

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Steve

Make sure you let your insurance company know about the accident but only for information / notification purposes. You wont be covered under your insurance anyway so you either should keep the car, strip it & sell the parts or get the other insurance company to pay the current market value of the car.

Good luck!

M

modifiede36m3

As it is not going through my insurance I dont need to change anything.. I dont want to touch the car anyway.....The Assesor is coming tomorrow hopefully I can agree a price with him there and then..

Steve

M

modifiede36m3

I have been advised by the Insurance company to take some info about the value of the car like printouts of cars with a similar spec from Pistonheads or autotrader to show the assesor what it would cost to replace

Steve

MORF114

Do you want people on the oc with similar spec to put their cars up on autotrader and pistonheads for around 6.5 k?? :lol:

P

pulsarboby

just out of curiosity have you actually tried putting your foot on the brakes to see whether you have a pedal or not???

M

modifiede36m3

MORF114
No Thanks mate

Yes there was a brake pedal

Cheers
Steve