Finding a solution to breaking gearcases on high power Rs

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Fast Guy said:
ChrisS said:
Lous box is beetlejuices old one thats done numerous launches without problem before lou got it.
The only way we'll find out that the brace doesnt work is if a casing eventually goes with one on it.
Did Beetlejuice have an OS Giken twin plate clutch as Lou's has only recently been fitted, he was on the exedy uptil then.

Yes... Beetlejuice had the OS Giken Twin aswell... LOU bought the gearbox and clutch from him...

Rishi

creedy

Iv been speaking to a guy at work about the 3D water cutting idea, and he said we have used a company @ work for this in the past and it has been fairly cheap. so we mite on to a winner here.

but what would the better material be billet alloy or steel?

LOU ROB

RishiGTiR said:
Yes... Beetlejuice had the OS Giken Twin aswell... LOU bought the gearbox and clutch from him...
Yes, as said. I bought the box and o.s.giken from Lee. He has done numerous launches and competed in the gumball with this set up with no problems at all. He even has the same spec engine as mo's car.

00sid

hmmm yes someone told me, it looks just like the one ive made that dosnt work :wink:

00sid

lol, nah just kidding

thats your fav colour isnt it, i heard your spraying your R that lovey shade. lol

i was going to get around to making a few of the strenghten plates to sell on, but ive been to busy. might get around to it next year if people are interested, they do work just have see how things go with other people developing one.

JIMMYBACK

00sid said:
lol, nah just kidding

thats your fav colour isnt it, i heard your spraying your R that lovey shade. lol

i was going to get around to making a few of the strenghten plates to sell on, but ive been to busy. might get around to it next year if people are interested, they do work just have see how things go with other people developing one.
yer hurry up i need one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keira

00sid said:
before buying the p!sspot i did briefly consider painting the black car pink and fitting a carbon bonnet...

abflug style pulsar 8) :shock: :lol:

would look awesome and your half way there with the bonnet mate :wink:

creedy

I gave my spare casing to my mates down at my local engineering firm today. Going to see what they can come up with 8)

cmng

Sorry
just to check
what is WPC stand for.. the full wording.. thank
:oops:

second thing

i found a moded GTiR clip
fitted with HKS GT2835R and Apexi Wastegate so on
the clutch is OS Giken
but the gearbox .. err like stock

Any sign it have been go thru WPC treatment ?
i see the gearbox sticker still intact

by the way the car is comfirm running condition since it was got from auction

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
cmng said:
Sorry
just to check
what is WPC stand for.. the full wording.. thank
:oops:

second thing

i found a moded GTiR clip
fitted with HKS GT2835R and Apexi Wastegate so on
the clutch is OS Giken
but the gearbox .. err like stock

Any sign it have been go thru WPC treatment ?
i see the gearbox sticker still intact

by the way the car is comfirm running condition since it was got from auction

WPC Treatment

Rishi

Keira

was with the evo/lotus driving nobhead earlier having a good look at a spare casing and we have had a cunning plan 8)

he just has to speak to a nice chap he knows

Dooie Pop Pop

00sid said:
lol, nah just kidding

where' s mine then :?:

Keira

:shock: oopsy :shock:

kinda throws a spanner in the works of strengthening the case :cry:

was uprated helical gearset aswell, not sure if its down to the way box was built but he's done 2 like that :shock: :cry:

its broken at the wrong bloody end :shock: :cry: :cry: they're not supposed to do that, stupid dumb casings :lol: :lol:

no prizes for guessing whats likely to break next if other the end is strengthened up :cry:

bugger :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I wonder if they're just using a poor quality alloy that is too brittle, or a bad design in the casing with corners that are too tight allowing stress fractures to form. I know a common mod on cranks is to give all sharp corners a slight radius to avoid these potential week spots. Has it gone along a casting line/corner or just in a random place?
I thought helical gears were part of the problem and that sraight cut would be better?

Keira

Fast Guy said:
I thought helical gears were part of the problem and that sraight cut would be better?
well its made my mind up about going to a straight cut box tbh, i dont want to be sat here sometime in the future with a pile of bits wishing i'd swapped to a straight cut gearset.

dont get me wrong, the quaiffe is obviously a good option for a decent power, occasional drag, occasional track mainly road driven car, and strengthing the case will definately help but the way my car is going spec wise i think it'll end in tears :cry:

i've no real interest in having it as a road car anymore so straight cut wont be any bother, it'll still be road legal but it wont be popping to the shops :wink:

zia

look's like an os giken bearing? who is it? that the layshaft is it? did he launch it? quaffie is semi helical not full helical.

zia