Finding a solution to breaking gearcases on high power Rs

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Thread spilt from J tuner thread

R-Type said:
Yep...cars at Hiteq. Ian will look at the box on Friday.

Do you think you could pester Ian to come up with some sort of solution for stopping this from happening..

Mine will be on the road and mapped an this casing thing is still bugging me...

Rishi

LOU ROB

RishiGTiR said:
Do you think you could pester Ian to come up with some sort of solution for stopping this from happening..

You should have seen mine and chris's faces when the box went :shock:

We both shit ourselves :lol:

Rishi

ChrisS said:
Theres a good few of us in the same boat Rishi....
Yep... I know... :(

I'm just going to cryo treat the casing for now....

The other option is to WPC treat the casing... The high bhp GTiRs in Japan all had their entire gearbox - gears, bearings, casing - WPC treated to give it the strength it needed to hold as there weren't any uprated boxes readily available back then... All those cars used the OS Giken Twin Plate clutch too... With no problems that i know of...

Rishi

R-Type

RishiGTiR said:
R-Type said:

Rishi
According to Mo, Ian will be looking at the casing in detail...he does read the forum and does realise everybodies concerns.

Rishi

LOU ROB said:
RishiGTiR said:

We both Skoda ourselves :lol:

Haha!... I bet you did... :shock:

Rishi

Rishi

R-Type said:
RishiGTiR said:
R-Type said:

Rishi
According to Mo, Ian will be looking at the casing in detail...he does read the forum and does realise everybodies concerns.

Good stuff... Keep us posted... :D

Rishi

Rishi

GTiRlover said:
Rishi- how expensive is it to WPC the casing and where can I get it from? :D

Well knowhere i know of does it in the UK... WPC treatment i found to be available in Japan and the US...

You can Cryo treat your casing here though - www.frozensolid.co.uk

WPC - is a treatment that changes the surface tructure of the material making it more friction free... It also hardens the material making it a lot stronger...

CRYO - changes the molectular structure of the materal... Metals aren't always perfect... the metal compound may have a weak weak points in its molectular structure... CRYO treatment basically evens it all out leaving no weak links and in the process leaves a much stronger metal...

There is also heat treatment... This strengthens the metal too... A few years ago engineers would use CRYO treatment to even out any imperfections caused my the heat treatment but howadays this is not the case as the heat treatment methods are far better than they used to be...

Hope that was of some use to you all...

Rishi

Rishi

I've PM'd Ian.H the location of this post...

Hopefully he will be able to provide some advise or solutions once he's had a chance to have a look at Mo's casing faliure...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:
Fast Guy said:
Something that noone has pointed out, that timing gear starts from when we moved, there is no roll out allowed, so on a proper drag stip all those times would have been slightly faster. :D

They actually take 8inches rollout into account on the timing gear when calculating the times... :wink:

Rishi
The guy who was incharge of the timing gear told me it started timing as soon as you moved, which it proved with a couple of people when they crept forward before they launched. :wink:

LOU ROB

ChrisS said:
I think it was different timing gear from the one used earlier in the year rishi.
Yes, totally diffrent from the one used back in march. The one they used from banzai allowed for a 12" rollout, the used on monday allowed 0 :wink: Just one twitch set the timing gear off.

On 3 of my runs, the car crept forward before i let out the clutch which cost me :eek:

R

ROGERGTIR

FASTEST 0-60

JUST A LITTLE CONFUSED, SO WHO HOLDS THE FASTEST GTIR 0-60, MO JAMIL OR THE GUY WHO DID 3.2? COS I'M SURE I READ OFFICIAL FASTEST TIME WAS MO,S AT 3.5

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Re: FASTEST 0-60

ROGERGTIR said:
JUST A LITTLE CONFUSED, SO WHO HOLDS THE FASTEST GTIR 0-60, MO JAMIL OR THE GUY WHO DID 3.2? COS I'M SURE I READ OFFICIAL FASTEST TIME WAS MO,S AT 3.5
As far as I'm aware it's the RC built RB. (Dakar :roll: ) that holds the fastest TIMED 0-60. Other cars Gtirs may have gone quicker up the strip. :wink:

Pete, do you know what timing gear was used for this (not that it makes much difference)

Dooie Pop Pop

LOU ROB said:
RishiGTiR said:

We both Skoda ourselves :lol:
i just got a sicky 'urgh' twinge. noone like to see guts on the floor