Finding a solution to breaking gearcases on high power Rs

Dooie Pop Pop

well iv pretty much made my mind up about going for extensive bracing. a new end casing would be nice but i cant see that happening this side of the 22nd century (no offence)

and im staying on my little wheels 8)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
GINDA said:
Surely the most realistic answer to this is as Rishi has mentioned :wink:
Get quaife to make a straight cut 1st and 2nd gear with the rest as normal.
That way it should hold high powered standing/slow starts, only whine like a nasty lady in 1st/2nd making normal driving livable, still have synchro's so again making it livable, and older versions can be upgraded to 1/2 straight cut without the need for a whole new gear set 8)

You really don't want a full straight cut or dog box if you even considering using it on the road unless its just a weekend blast car.
I agree Paul, this does seem to be a good plan of action.

nismoboy

am i missing somthing here? why uprate 1st and second gears? anyone who has seen the inside of a gtir box will tell u that 3rd,4th,and 5th are the weak gears, who has broken 1st and second on a standard box? the only reason the quaiffe is breaking is because of the os twin plate clutch u keep using with the quaiffe.

I myself have broken a few boxs and have never had any probs with the lower gears its only 3rd 4th and 5th that break. 4th went on the last one and i was told 4 goes becasue thats the gear u make maximum torque in.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nismoboy said:
am i missing somthing here?
They aren't on about uprating 1st and 2nd as they're already uprated in respect to a Quaiffe gearset. They're on about getting 1st and 2nd made as straight cut gears instead of being helical. Hopefully this may sort the problem of lunching the gearbox on the launch.

R

robinsongtir

I know three people running the PAR gearsets me and two our customers at RC.Mine is yet to be tested the other two have both run OS giken twin plates and solid engine mounts now damage to the cases at all and this is after many launches running well over 400hp in both cars there has been a couple of niglling probs with the PAR gearset which needs sorting but for launching with the 1/2 dogbox there has not been any failing with the casing or actual gears just a bit of work needs doing to the baulk rings and sliding sleeves to make it work how it should

S

stokie1

u can mix and match the ppg kit regarding how many dog gears and how many helical gears u want ( max of 5 ) of course

rang quaife several times using different names asking for a dog box, every time got the answer, " not in stock, need at least 3-5 orders for dog boxes to make them happen" :(

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
nismoboy said:
am i missing somthing here? why uprate 1st and second gears? anyone who has seen the inside of a gtir box will tell u that 3rd,4th,and 5th are the weak gears, who has broken 1st and second on a standard box? the only reason the quaiffe is breaking is because of the os twin plate clutch u keep using with the quaiffe.

I myself have broken a few boxs and have never had any probs with the lower gears its only 3rd 4th and 5th that break. 4th went on the last one and i was told 4 goes becasue thats the gear u make maximum torque in.
Idea is to use the quaife 3rd 4th and 5th gears and get quaife to make straight cut 1st and 2nd gears, so basically a quaife gearset with straight cut first and second.

Effectively you only need 1st and 2nd gear to be straight cut... After that the car is moving so pressure on the casing is severely reduced... More energy is put to the wheels rather than through the casing...