Finding a solution to breaking gearcases on high power Rs

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Does anyone know the price of the PPG full syncro boxes with straight cut gears and what would they be like to use in an everyday driver situation.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
RishiGTiR said:
CRYO Treating your casing should only be £50 - £80

Rishi
i get it for free :wink: thinking of draining the oil out the box and just sticking it in the ULT for a couple of days 8) i could go the whole hog with propertional controls and liquid N2.

K

KRS

Ive blown my casing apart and really would like a solution to the problem.

Straight cut gears sound like the way to go, but they cost a small fortune :(
Would it really cost so much to have new end casings cast?

If GTIR tuning is to move on, this issue needs to be sorted. I really want to Drag the R, but I KNOW ill blow the boxes with the sort of power needed to compete these days.

The Gtir is such a great car for dragging, having a reliable gearbox would make our cars so much more desirable.

Looking forward to seeing how Rishi's car goes, I hope it all holds together for you. Will give R's a new lease of tuning potential if you come up with a solution.

Keira

KRS said:
Straight cut gears sound like the way to go, but they cost a small fortune
not nearly as much as 2 re-built quaiffe boxes in a month :shock: just ask al (ashills) or darren (dee1) :cry: :lol:

to answer steves question the whole 5 spd dog box direct from ppg is $9000 aud (£3860.96 plus shipping and taxes) thats the whole gearset, selectors and forks.

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/images/pricesNOV05.jpg

i can imagine it wouldn't be that nice poddling around with in traffic but like anything, you'd get used to it :wink: :lol:

i've been in 2 minds what to do for a while, at the back of my mind i know the best thing to do is sell the quaiffe and get the ppg but i'll lose money straight away as its brand new, never been fitted. I brought it before i got carried away with my cunning plan :roll: :lol: , but at the same time if i run the quaiffe and break it, i lose even more money and then end up having to buy the ppg anyways :?

b@st@rd gearboxes :twisted: :lol: :lol: b@st@rd cunning plans :oops: :lol: :lol:

creedy

£3860 sounds a fair price to me. i think i mite look into this.
maybe if some of us did a group buy thing we would get it cheaper?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I notice GTaRT are the UK PPG dealers, has anyone approached them.

I also notice from the PPG site they do a helical gearset, I w--w-w-wonder if that would be a better alternative to the Quaife gearset.

I do have some contacts in the foundry world and I will start making some inquires next week into getting a new gearbox end casing made up and the best material (other than Ali) to use.

Will let you know what they say.

Keira

creedy said:
£3860 sounds a fair price to me. i think i mite look into this.
remember thats only the ppg parts, not a fully built up box and you still have shipping and tax to pay.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Well i have no choice BUT to help develop our gearboxes... I've gone the whole hog and built a Monster R and its no use without relialble transmission...

As for re-enforcing the casing being a problem, distorting the casing etc... Ian is trying is this week so we will soon see how he gets on... Also remember this is how he fixed this same problem on the Group A cars back in 1991/1992...

Everyone is very quick to jump on the PPG band wagon... What about the Quaife Straight Cut Gearset... The only thing for me is the gear ratios... i like the Quaife helicaly cut gear ratios... Althought the shorter ratio of the dog box would ease up presure on the drivetrain...

Effectively you only need 1st and 2nd gear to be straight cut... After that the car is moving so pressure on the casing is severely reduced... More energy is put to the wheels rather than through the casing...

Remember when the car is still the energy needs to go somewhere... No give on the clutch, no give on the wheels as you will have some decent rubber on etc... Its just for that split moment when the car is launched that the most energy causes the input shaft forward...

Although while the car is moving the hard accellerating will cause an amount of pressure on the casing but i think that re-enforcing the casing can work...

For me its a trial and error... Yes it will cost me a lot but, bothered!... it needs to be done...

Rishi

creedy

The other thing with the PPG dog box is that it would only last about 20k miles before you would need to shell out that 4k for new gears.

Has anyone use the 1st and 2nd from a PAR kit along with the quife?

another way to make a complete casing would be to manufacture a new end case from steel, billet... and a new flange to the bellhouseing and join the two together using some short of frame work, then covering it in ally or somthing lightweigh. basicy abit like a space frame.

Rishi

creedy said:
The other thing with the PPG dog box is that it would only last about 20k miles before you would need to shell out that 4k for new gears.

Has anyone use the 1st and 2nd from a PAR kit along with the quife?

another way to make a complete casing would be to manufacture a new end case from steel, billet... and a new flange to the bellhouseing and join the two together using some short of frame work, then covering it in ally or somthing lightweigh. basicy abit like a space frame.

Have you seen the cost of having this done... I have and its not pretty...

Rishi

creedy

Not if you know someone in the trade :D

not what you know its who you know :lol:

i have a spare gearbox which is broken lying around. i will let my mates have it and see what they can come up with. will keep you posted.

Rishi

creedy said:
Not if you know someone in the trade :D

not what you know its who you know :lol:

i have a spare gearbox which is broken lying around. i will let my mates have it and see what they can come up with. will keep you posted.

To make a proper casing first you need the moulds... Then you need to have the casing made up...

For a complete Steel casing you are looking at £15k... This is from people i know in the trade... :wink:

Rishi

creedy

You didnt read what i put, im not on about casting a new case. im on about making a compelete new case.

manufacture a new end plate and bellhousing flange and join them together by using some short of struts. then cover the box to make it oil tight.

Rishi

creedy said:
You didnt read what i put, im not on about casting a new case. im on about making a compelete new case.

manufacture a new end plate and bellhousing flange and join them together by using some short of struts. then cover the box to make it oil tight.

£15k was the cost not including the moulds...

Not sure how designing a new casing all together would be cheaper...

But good luck to you... keep us all posted... :wink:

There is always the Forged Magnesium NISMO casing at £65k... :lol: :lol:

Rishi

GINGA

Surely the most realistic answer to this is as Rishi has mentioned :wink:
Get quaife to make a straight cut 1st and 2nd gear with the rest as normal.
That way it should hold high powered standing/slow starts, only whine like a bitch in 1st/2nd making normal driving livable, still have synchro's so again making it livable, and older versions can be upgraded to 1/2 straight cut without the need for a whole new gear set 8)

You really don't want a full straight cut or dog box if you even considering using it on the road unless its just a weekend blast car.

K

KRS

Is it possable to get straight cut gears for the standard box?

Ill give 1st and 2nd Straight cuts ago. I havent launched my car since the last incident and i miss it!

R

robinsongtir

Effectively you only need 1st and 2nd gear to be straight cut... After that the car is moving so pressure on the casing is severely reduced... More energy is put to the wheels rather than through the casing...
this is why I went for the PAR 1/2 dogbox not tried and tested as yet but I have 1st and 2nd doggears striaight cut so should have no issues with gearbox casings failing in theory