Big problems

J

jpward

Did you remove the 2 bolts holding on the starter to see if the starter has not jammed on the ring?

Clicking noise on starter engagement tends to be the solenoid

You could also try the old "tap it with a hammer whilst turning over trick" to check!

stumo

I think you can all stop thinking it's the starter motor, the chances of it stopping an engine turning over are very slim indeed (by all means take it off and check etc, but 99.999% of the time it won't be the problem).

I can't ever remember a starter stuck in the "out" position or one that was seized. So one that is stuck out and seized will be near on impossible.

Make sure the car is in neutral and you can move the car forwards/backwards before trying the big spanner on the cranknut.

if the cranknut won't move( with the plugs out) then you're more than likely got a seized engine unless you're like Jim.

marcymarc

Ive booked it in for next week :lol:, if it does turn out to be the worst (which is more or less confirmed) then the engines getting a forged rebuild.

Cheers for all the advce, your fookin diamonds :-D

P

pulsarboby

jpward said:
Did you remove the 2 bolts holding on the starter to see if the starter has not jammed on the ring?

Clicking noise on starter engagement tends to be the solenoid

You could also try the old "tap it with a hammer whilst turning over trick" to check!

clicking noise means the solenoid is working and switching power to starter as it should do!
as stumo says mr marcy its 100% not your starter, it has (hate to say it) a seized engine, which will 99% be the crank and a spun shell jamming it.
no easy fix, engine out and strip down time, join the chumps club marcy:lol: bet mines back and running before yours though:nerner:

marcymarc

pulsarboby said:
clicking noise means the solenoid is working and switching power to starter as it should do!
as stumo says mr marcy its 100% not your starter, it has (hate to say it) a seized engine, which will 99% be the crank and a spun shell jamming it.
no easy fix, engine out and strip down time, join the chumps club marcy:lol: bet mines back and running before yours though:nerner:

I basically knew it was an engine rebuild job straight away (and im by no means a mechanic :lol:), if a car brings a jeep to a stop while trying to bump start in tow then there has to be serious problems, i was just clutching at straws thinking it might be a quickish fix :(

Engine will be stripped down next week so will let everyone no what the exact problem was.

What date are you putting on completion Bob? :lol:

P

pulsarboby

marcymarc said:
What date are you putting on completion Bob? :lol:

Mmmm! that all depends on how fast i can get my pistons and the engineer with boring another block for me!
but i would expect around 2 weeks up and running, as i have 3 track sessions booked in august:doh: will be touch and go i thinks!

P

pulsarboby

yep dont remind me:doh: any word with map in it breaks me out in a cold sweat at the moment lol