wot is it with the bent valves

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
oap-r said:
skiddusmarkus said:
You don't hear of many R's with bent valves.If it's being rebuilt then aftermarket springs(£200+) and a rocker arm stopper kit(£50+) would help in future.
but would it really?
i find it hard to accept that uprated springs and this stopper thing will stop piston from meeting valves after a trip to 8-9000 rpm :?
It's worked for Ivan at least once :) . The main thing uprated springs do are keep the valves under control better, so they don't bounce of the seat and open when they shouldn't, then meet the pistons. Uprated rod bolts are a must too. :wink:

A

Anonymous

a mate of mine bent a couple of valves in his r. it went to hiteq and had the uprated springs and stopper thingy put it in. it@s awesome now..... :shock:

skiddusmarkus

but would it really?
i find it hard to accept that uprated springs and this stopper thing will stop piston from meeting valves after a trip to 8-9000 rpm
As you know Bruce,I'm not an expert but I try and get info off people who know better than me,so I've decided to go for new springs (my new cams have 11mm lift),just to be on the safe side.Plus it gives me the option of revving a bit higher,say another 500rpm.
What I find harder to accept is the price of the things,it's about the same as the cams :shock: !.

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
Plus it gives me the option of revving a bit higher,say another 500rpm.
What I find harder to accept is the price of the things,it's about the same as the cams :shock: !.
i could understand you going for the springs and stopper thingies if it was like kytie`s old car and doing a zillion revs but i think it`s a waste for just approx 7700rpm.

when sam and i were out doing the mapping it went way past 7700rpm on several occasions without any ill effects.i just think it`s overkill unless it`s going to get loads of revs nearly all of the time.

now i wonder who drives like that :wink: :wink: :wink:

O

Olly

Used to see RS turbo's that were chipped and chip people used to leave out the rev limiter or move it higher (and increase the mechanical risk of contact) does your car have a Rev limiter should be at 7,500 rpm in any gear. 8)

A

Anonymous

Olly said:
Used to see RS turbo's that were chipped and chip people used to leave out the rev limiter or move it higher (and increase the mechanical risk of contact) does your car have a Rev limiter should be at 7,500 rpm in any gear. 8)
i`ve still got the std limiter which i thought was set for 7200rpm.

J

J-GTi-R

Mine seems to come in at about 7700 rpm, but I am grabing another gear as fast as I can at that point so haven't studied it too closely. I can certainly get 7500 out of it no probs.

skiddusmarkus

I've probably only hit the limiter 2 or 3 times and I think it was around 7500rpm.Cos I've got a short ratio box,I'd like the option of increasing this a bit to get a bit more speed out of each gear.On my old Ren 19 16V(caned that car everywhere)I once went from 3rd to 2nd going flat out(was trying for 4th)when I fluffed the change.It must have revved to 10k and I thought I'd wrecked it.Somehow it didn't blow up :oops: .
Bruce,I know what you're saying,I just want a bit of extra insurance as I'll be doing a lot of 1/4 miles&trackdays.Anyway my rebuild won't even cost a third of yours(I hope),so I can splash out on new springs :wink: .

Tony

A sense of what now??/ :shock: :D

It wernt a bent valve it was a snapped cam follower that got stuck between the cam cap and the valve stem, thus holding it open and making it sound like a scooby pooh!!!!!

There were people behind my car that i didnt like the look of, so i tried to set them on fire :twisted: :twisted:

Tony....

A

Anonymous

Tony said:
There were people behind my car that i didnt like the look of, so i tried to set them on fire :twisted: :twisted:
just as well that you`re too tight to spend the money bringing your r up to glenrothes then :D :D :D :D

M

M40RC D

it definately aint jims car as i got that locked up in garage, (although i havent checked up on it for a while-lol). jim lived in bolton too.

C

caz

just as well that you`re too tight to spend the money bringing your r up to glenrothes then
LOL and LOL even more. No where coming up Simon's new posh BMW I'll have u ol'chap. pip pip tally ho :D

Tony

I`m not tight, just mega poor!!!!! :cry:

Think i mite hav to bring my own sandwiches, i`m sure i saw a bit of turkey in the wheely bin outside!!!!! :|

Tony....

Si..

sorry to go totally off the subject but:
the pair of you are just as bad as eachother, both got 'R's which will both be in newcastle while your at a 'R' rolling road day in scotland, :?

and before you say anything about my 'R' its gonna be so quick when its finished, it'll be able to bend time and go back and participate. :lol: :lol:

C

caz

I`m not tight, just mega poor!!!!!
Did I mention I was debt free :wink:

Good job U added that little bit on the end there mr T coz U know fine well my car would be on the rollers if 1. it was on the road, and 2. if it was runnin right. :D

That aside mate I think I might have to invest in a fuel controller ready for its set up on the rollers. How much U reckon Steve will charge to fit one :?

C

caz

Oh and if Ant wants to take the R up, I'll happily give him petrol tokens. Might if make up his sandwichs too :wink:

A

Anonymous

c`mon boys,just admit it.all you geordie boys are really tight fisted faggotts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

si.. said:
i was told geordies are really just scots with their heads kicked in :lol: :lol:
after their pockets have been emptied :lol: