wot is it with the bent valves

B

billygtir

hi all im new here,thing is ive owned my sunny for 2 months now a month and half of its been in the garage..all the poeple ive met in my area with gtirs all theres are in the of the road with the same problem.is there some thing wrong with the set up of are cars,or is it a common prob..
cheers billgtir :roll:

B

billygtir

i allways use super or optimax,the car got no boost gauge but i know its been chiped.dont know if you know the car its a white uk speck with twin custom exaulst with a private plat L20 GTR came from the oxfordshire area.its a long shot but you never know..

B

billygtir

that sounds like the one couldnt find the pic,but the bastards done me on the milage its reading 57k bastards :evil: and i 6500k bastards cheers for the info its got all the mot's as well bastards.

Curtis

billygtir said:
that sounds like the one couldnt find the pic,but the bastards done me on the milage its reading 57k bastards :evil: and i 6500k bastards cheers for the info its got all the mot's as well bastards.
I'd be surprised if it was, as Jim's was a well looked after car. Still if someones wacked the boost up after he sold it, it wouldn't take long to blow it or any car up!

B

billygtir

dont think it is the car the paper work i got with it said the chip was done afew years ago but i will check. its all in the car in the garage..

A

Anonymous

any engine will bend it`s valves if you over rev it.

B

billygtir

i was doing 145mph at about 6000rpm when it happened :roll:i used to do that all the time in my starlet gt and that was 1.3ltr with about 250+bhp 75bhp of that is nos,and thats still going 2 years or so.

C

caz

Me pal on here, tony, did his very easily. Was sitting at a cruise in Newcastle revving and the limiter didn't come in. Think he took it to about 9000!! It was idling about 5 mins later and starting running a bit lumpy. It wasn't til it was stripped down that they found the bent valve :cry:

A

Anonymous

caz said:
Think he took it to about 9000!!
it`s quite possible to go past the rev limiter when there is no load on the engine ie being a silly buggur at a cruise reving the nuts off of it.
to do it at 145mph is nigh on impossible without either,something else going wrong or missing a gear.

C

caz

ie being a silly buggur at a cruise reving the nuts off of it.
:lol: :lol: U can take the mick if you are going to Glenrothe for the RR day. He's coming up with me and Simon

A

Anonymous

caz said:
:lol: :lol: U can take the mick if you are going to Glenrothe for the RR day. He's coming up with me and Simon
hope he`s got a sense of humour then :evil: :D

C

caz

Has Mr Todd not told U about Ants 467 engines disaster's :lol:

Bless him, he knack me if he reads this. At least his is on the road at the mo, me and Simon are getting itchy feet.

A

Anonymous

caz said:
Has Mr Todd not told U about Ants 467 engines disaster's :lol:

Bless him, he knack me if he reads this. At least his is on the road at the mo, me and Simon are getting itchy feet.
no,not yet,but i`m sure he will now :D :D :D
just got to hope my head gasket appears sometime this millenium :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't heard of bent valves on an R until caz's mate, so it can't be too common. I have heard of ring lands on a couple of number 4 piston going tho.

skiddusmarkus

You don't hear of many R's with bent valves.If it's being rebuilt then aftermarket springs(£200+) and a rocker arm stopper kit(£50+) would help in future.

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
You don't hear of many R's with bent valves.If it's being rebuilt then aftermarket springs(£200+) and a rocker arm stopper kit(£50+) would help in future.
but would it really?
i find it hard to accept that uprated springs and this stopper thing will stop piston from meeting valves after a trip to 8-9000 rpm :?