why stroker kits?

A

Anonymous

sorry guys but,it`s the piston speed and therefore strength of the rods that limits the rev limit of any particular engine.strength of the bottom end or whether forged pistons are fitted or not has got sod all to do with it.

lightened and balanced bottom ends will allow your engiine to rev a bit quicker ie engine response but has no bearing on engine rev limit.

E

Edd

you would disagree with nad and i as you hate us both :wink: :lol:

i'll stand by what i said as you cannot rev a std engine to 8500 or even a stroker without doing more stuff than just forged pistons :!:

A

Anonymous

Edd said:

i'll stand by what i said as you cannot rev a std engine to 8500 or even a stroker without doing more stuff than just forged pistons :!:
i`m not that fussy,i`ll disagree with anybody that`s wrong :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

you are quite correct,before raising an engine rev limit,at the VERY least you need to change the rods :wink:

anyway,get back to fixing that festering mess in the garage :wink:

E

Edd

See even you suddenly admit there's more to it that pistons by mentioning rods :p :twisted:

I'm not being picked up till 230. Am hoping and praying that the leads are on wrong :roll: it's a long shot, but going to check everything else aswell as maf etc and plugs, injectors.
Just pray the map hasn't been wiped :roll: :evil:

O

Odin

oap-r said:
anyway,get back to fixing that festering mess in the garage :wink:

You'v got that right mate :wink:. By the time he's got it fixed it'll have
half my car under the bonnet :roll: :cry: . My shelves are empty :cry: .

rob

Pardon me for being off topic.
But i was wondering when u're ordering stroker kits, why is it u can order them without the con rod.
Er i dont get it...
Does increasing the crankshaft "throw" doesnt that mean u need a shorter conrod?
Just confused and just asking your opinion.
Very ignorant about cars.

And my opinion about building a good revving machine. Its basically 2 very important factors. A good engine builder and a good tuner. Period.

And for building a high reving engine. I belive everything done contributes to a good revingmonster. I thought that 1st of all every recipriocating parts from the crank, con rod, piston, flywheel, clutch and crank pulley needs to be balanced. Besides that i'm made to believe that a good forged conrod helps to take the high stress so as forge pistons. Plus the cylinder head has to be taken into consideration such as the ports size. Also the choice of cams plays a big role so as cam timing. Plus also a rocker arm guard to prevent any misshap at high reving.

End of the day i dont see the point of revving so high when power tapers off?
Just my 2 cents.

Also another thing i thought stroker kits makes the engine oversquare. Doesnt than make it less willing to rev?
just curioous.

O

Odin

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
And my opinion about building a good revving machine. Its basically 2 very important factors. A good engine builder and a good tuner. Period.

You could be right mate, But do you know any because I don't :evil: :cry: .

rob

S

srbpower

Interesting, allways thought a stroker kit was the way to go. But when I mate chris decided to build his 200, Norris said there was no need to use a stroker kit on it. Spose it on really adds just over 100cc once you move up to 87mm pistons. The most important thing with the SR20 is the mapping. The car shown below is bullet proof, it never misses a beat.

http://web.norrisdesigns.com/Feature_Cars_view.asp?FCid=33&strcat=&id=2&cid=0

Also what turbo is still on boost at 7K plus?

Si :)

A

AndrewD

Edd said:

see thats what i was trying to say!!!! :roll:

Nad

Oi u cant say I am wrong and then change what u said thats not fair :lol: My point was that the pistons arent the limiting factor, that balancing helps, I never mentioned the rods being or not being a factor or anything being a main factor, just what can also help so Im not really wrong am I :wink:

Nad

P.S. Rev too high and u'll throw a rocker arm so a rocker arm stopper could be another reason.

Nad

oap-r said:
sorry guys but,it`s the piston speed and therefore strength of the rods that limits the rev limit of any particular engine.strength of the bottom end or whether forged pistons are fitted or not has got sod all to do with it.
Also what I was going to say, i.e piston speed. The cast ones melt due to det, from over boosting and poor fueling, not how fast they are going. Did I mention strength of the bottom end? I thought I just mentioned balancing??

Almost forgot, my turbo revs past 7500rpm as well and the reason I got the stroker, becasue it worked out at a few £100 over the price of getting new rods and pistons and getting the cranks balanced etc

Nad

srbpower Posted: 31 May 2004 21:46 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, allways thought a stroker kit was the way to go. But when I mate chris decided to build his 200, Norris said there was no need to use a stroker kit on it. Spose it on really adds just over 100cc once you move up to 87mm pistons. The most important thing with the SR20 is the mapping. The car shown below is bullet proof, it never misses a beat.

http://web.norrisdesigns.com/Feature_Cars_view.asp?FCid=33&strcat=&id=2&cid=0

Also what turbo is still on boost at 7K plus?
Er i thought u add up it become 2045cc?

J

J-GTi-R

my turbo revs past 7500rpm as well
If we're being pedantic, I think you'll find your turbo revs to about 150 000 rpm, give or take... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

GINGA

ginga tubby made peak boost at 7.5k without the nos if i remember right
My turbo makes peak boost at about 4.5k rpm and then holds that boost until the limiter with no drop off at all 8) on my dyno run at PTS my car hit the rev limiter (7500rpm) before hitting max power which probably means the engines usable power band was up to 8k rpm :D
The ability to rev is effected by many things
Component weights and strenghts pistons,rods,crank,valves,springs,cams,pullies etc etc
Balance of rotating components
friction losses
angle of rods to crank and pistons which is effected by stroke,rod length,gudgeon pin position in piston etc
Cam duration and lift (see flow)
Ability of valve train to keep valves opening and closing properly eg no valve bounce at high rpm
Air flow through engine eg the ability of the engine and it component parts to flow enough air in and out of the engine, this is effeted by everything from the air filter to the exhaust.
the ability to make a engine rev high is different to the engines ability to make power at high rpm as one depends of strenght,weight and balance and the other depends of air flow :wink:
A stroker kitted engine will always be a nicer and easier car to drive than a non stroker engine as it will have better more usable spread of power and torque true the non stroker should rev better but how often are you going to be using those high rpm :?: it would be much better imho to have the same power/torque but at a more usable rpm which is what having a stroker kit achieves nicely 8)
High rpm is fine if you spend your whole life on the track but for most of us our cars will be mainly for road driving where having a high revving car is just a pain in the arse :(

skiddusmarkus

End of the day i dont see the point of revving so high when power tapers off?
Power won't drop off with a bigger turbo/wilder cams.You don't go to the expense of a high revving motor and leave the standard turbo on.