why stroker kits?

A

AndrewD

im just alittle curious as to why the would bother creating stroker kits...

ok you get a 'slightly larger capacity' engine

i can see some problems here

you limit your maximum rpm unless you upgrade your pistons etc because inertial stresses are greater in long stroke engines

it wont rev as freely

and power gains wont be as sufficient as improving charge density by cooling etc

so im going to ask why you bought the kit, what were your reasons ;)

E

Edd

not quite 5 seconds :wink:

Yes you will get a gain off better cooling mods, but if you have sufficeient cooling which i do and will have even better methods then alongside a stroker you will get even more benefit.
The stroker helps bring in boost earlier and give better low down torque - fact.
The tomei kit is rated to 8500rpm and with a few more engine modifications next year i aim to rev mine to 8000 on a regular basis :twisted:

Some say the strokers aren't worth the extra money but mine was 431bhp on 1.3 bar :shock: :roll: although i don't believe the figure the car was very quick and low down response was awesome (made peak power at 6200rpm though)

Coupled up to a bigger turbo charger and large boost hoping to break 500bhp and not have something as laggy as on a 2.0 boosted motor.

But we'll see :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
devylboi said:
you limit your maximum rpm unless you upgrade your pistons etc because inertial stresses are greater in long stroke engines
It's not all down to the stroke, some of the increase comes a larger bore as well.
Most (if not all) stroker kits consist of postons, rods and crank, so the parts are uprated anyway. A set of arp rod bolts wouldn't go amiss tho. :wink:

A

Anonymous

devylboi said:
it wont rev as freely
don`t you believe it :shock: i can make mine rev all right :wink:
if there is any difference at all,you`d never notice it :D

devylboi said:
407lb/ft i really don`t need to say more :D

Si..

plus when you buy the stroker kit, its all billet steel rod's and crank, so your not just getting power and torque gains your getting massive peace of mind that the bottom end is rock solid, if you wanted to keep it 2.0 and have steel internals you'd pay roughly the same but loose out on the torque gains.

A

Anonymous

BabyBhp said:
407lb/ft
oap-r was sort of bhp u got m8 :?:
not as much as you`re probably thinking i`ve got :wink:
381bhp :shock: ........................for now :wink:

B

BabyBhp

Hope u get ur problem sorted n hope u get the power u want :!:
Keep us posted :)

S

stuart rawlinson

devylboi said:
im just alittle curious as to why the would bother creating stroker kits...

ok you get a 'slightly larger capacity' engine

i can see some problems here

it wont rev as freely

When Farndone made mine they allso Reduced the B/E on the rod by 3mm
And also the crank this helps with clearance and a FRICTION reducer
had to source dif shells but that was all sorted by them
And rev it will rev its t*ts off :wink:

Stu.

Nad

'There aint no replacement, for displacement'

As Edd said, standard car is what 7500rpm and Tomei kit is 8500rpm capable, already 1000rpm more than standard.

Also shifting more air means less lag, more air to compress and therefore more TORQUE 8)

Nad

A

AndrewD

Nad said:
As Edd said, standard car is what 7500rpm and Tomei kit is 8500rpm capable, already 1000rpm more than standard.

Nad
dear nads,

the reason why it now revs to 8500 rpm safely is because of the forged pistons, it can handle the increased stress of that extra 1000rpm

;)

Nad

What have forged pistons got to do with it. It the rotating masses that make a difference to how high it can rev. The tomei kits are better made and balanced so vibrate less and therefore can rev higher, safer. Balance the standard stuff and u can rev higher, pistons make no difference at all.

Nad

A

AndrewD

Nad said:
What have forged pistons got to do with it. It the rotating masses that make a difference to how high it can rev. The tomei kits are better made and balanced so vibrate less and therefore can rev higher, safer. Balance the standard stuff and u can rev higher, pistons make no difference at all.

Nad
sorry but im deffinately going to dissagree here

read any engine book, or learn about internal combustion engines, the LIMITING FACTOR in engine application concerned about revs, is the STRESSES on the PISTON and CONNECTING RODS etc, not because of the unbalanced 2nd moments or 2nd forces or VIBRATIONS!

sorry nads but i can tell you now that i am right hehehe ;)

if you rev the tits of any car you will find that you will drop a cylinder, because the pistons melt at the increased stresses and temps related to higher rpm. PERIOD ;)

E

Edd

Isn't that funny how you suddenly mention connecting rods when you didn't before :wink:

It has to do with the whole bottom end assembly and also do with how much headwork you have done to make it rev.

Generally you will be able to make a 2.0 rev more than a 2.2 but with the appropriate work.

But saying a 2.2 can't rev well is crap as i said 8500rpm the tomei kit is rated for and if you do the appropriate headwork you will be able to use that.

The fact you can rev higher as nad said is because it is all balanced, stronger crank, stronger rod bolts, stronger rods, yes the forged pistons help but aren't the only thing which is what you originally said and appropirate headwork and strenghtening help you rev that high.

Also according to your orginal theory by just slapping in a set of forged pistons you can rev to 8500........bollocks i'm afraid, as i've just said you have to uprate and strengthen all engine components to rev so high not just the pistons :!: