Which spark plugs?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I should have said for those running >400hp. Petrol is an insulator and a bigger plug gaps require more energy to make a spark sufficient to ignite the fuel. Doing both stretches the OEM ignition system too far.

Compromising one or the other is fine.

Resistors in plugs reduce spark energy but increase spark duration. Duration is good at light loads to ignite the mixture. The same goes for your fancy leads. Race leads/plugs have minimal resistance to maximise energy at high loads as they don't care about low loads and lean mixtures.

So yes the standard system will work and using race plugs/low resistance leads/small gaps will also work.

The weakness in the OEM system is the amplifier but people seem to replace everything else first.

IMO the better solution is to run a 0.9mm gap with correct temperature of road plugs and OEM leads to give a larger flame front with lots of energy and longer duration to ignite anything you throw at it. Use whatever coil and amp you wish to achieve this. You can then forget about your ignition system and concentrate on mapping the car without compromises.

Just my opinion but I have done a lot of experimentation in this area on our cars.

red reading

For those with ignition problems on the standard system and don't care about low load/rev dribvability, run smaller gaps. For those who want to run bigger gaps for drivability at low revs fit a stronger amplifier. Simples
well my plugs (NGK R7436-9) are running 1mm gap on a completley stock (but all new from nissan) ignition system, my car get 's about 38-40mpg off boost (measured this when i went to nurburgring and back). i agree with jim about the ignition amps hks used to make a twin power for our cars as plug and play ----dont know if they still do.......