Which spark plugs?

Thor

Hello!

which are the best plugs we can use for arround 2.0 bar and 550 hp? May be the NGK BRK8EIX or better colder?

regards
Sascha

Mad

Bkr9eix - 2669. u can get them off fleabay for around £28. The 8's were not upto the job on mine but the 9's are spot on

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My bad. BCR8ES

BCR8ES
BCR8ES
BCR8ES

A fraction of the price of the fancy platinum/iridium tips, and less prone to fouling if you flood the engine, or breaking off and damaging valves.

Google is my friend, but obviously you might like to find someone in Germany that sells them.

Thor

Thanks for the links! in german google you don´t can find them!

Ok, can you explain why copper spark are better than the irridium sparks?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The iridium tip is very fine, and technically the iridium allows you to run higher temperatures with less spark jump (and thus better efficiency and throttle response). - The problems with them are that the tip isn't physically part of the plug core; it's welded onto the top (whereas a copper core tends to be a continuous piece of metal), and because it's so fine it's easy to snap that off... giving you a huge gap in the plug and a rogue piece of hardened metal floating around in the bore, which can then damage or get stuck in an exhaust valve.
That doesn't mean it's a common problem, but it has happened to people (I'm sure someone in the N/W).

Usually though, it's that the fine tip gets fouled really easily. If your mixture is a bit rich (as it often is when you're on boost), it doesn't take much to coat the electrode.
Similarly, if you've flooded the engine it's really hard to get them to fire again. - This one I've experience first-hand; it's easier to take the plugs out and put new ones in, than get the old iridium tips to fire. I'm sure if you clean them up they'll work again, but it's very hard to clean such a fine tip without bending/breaking it.

There are plenty of high-powered cars that use a standard copper-core plug.

If you're struggling to find them, I think Boby sells them.

Thor

Thanks for the really good explain! Now i know which i get for my engine :)

I found one dealer here in germany who sells them too!

skiddusmarkus

Got my BCR8's off Ebay, bought 2 sets as they were so cheap.The tip is much more substantial than the NGK's/HKS ones I've used in the past and nto going to be wearing down in a hurry.
All going well car is getting mapped again on wednesday at 1.7bar+ and am thinking of gapping the spare set to 0.9mm.I have an MSD 6A and blaster coil so does this sound about right?

Thor

Thanks for the offer markus, but i had order few minutes ago from a man here in germany. I have fit the mallory HyFire 6A with promaster coil than it must work right.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The Mallory and MSD are both decent pieces of kit and very similar. I used the Mallory.

On my 3071 I found the iridiums could run slightly higher gaps but a tip failed. This is the second tip I'd lost in the life of the car and the last one was running lower boost and much smaller gaps. My experience is the copper plugs are more robust for high boost applications.

@skiddus, in the end I was running BCR9's with a 0.9mm gap with no issues. It improved cold start and low load/rev drivability with no problems at high revs. At 1.1mm gaps they very occasionally misfired so I believe 0.9mm is well with in their capability.

@Sascha, copper is a better conductor than iridium but it is softer and wears out faster (every 6K rather than every 30K) OEM's have moved to iridium and platinum to extend service intervals on cars. Although the conductor is inferior I think their design makes them more efficient and why I was able to run slightly bigger gaps than with coppers plus. The design has also made them less robust too which is why I think they break/melt at high temperatures. As you are already running >500hp and looking for more then I'd recommend the BCR9s. I've run them on my daily commute through winter and didn't have any problems. BCR8's might work but the 9's will be safer.

Thor

Ah ok good too know. The IK31 i have fitted are much too cold for a cold start.

But where are the BCR9ES available? I had searched a german and UK google but nothing found...

red reading

they dont call them that anymore (bcr9es) i will get the code for you for the plugs i have, mine are non resistor racing plugs

hainesz

just found this if it helps anyone...

That code doesn't seem to exist for NGK. If you break it down:
BCR9ES
BC = 14mm thread, 16mm Hex
R = Resistor
9 = Heat Rating
E = 19mm Thread reach
S = Standard Copper electrode.

I suggested:
BKR9EIX
BK = 14mm thread, 16mm Hex (ISO Standard)
R = Resistor
9 = Heat Rating
E = 19mm Thread reach
I = Iridium tip
X = Booster gap

here a link for buying them...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-IRIDI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b4f9ec43

Last edited:

red reading

personally i would not fit eix plugs as they have a habit of losing there tip and scraping the engine and also if you flood the engine they breakdown.

Copper and paladium are better and softer materials + race plugs have a wider heat range than conventional plugs, you also benefit from not having the resistor.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For those with ignition problems on the standard system and don't care about low load/rev dribvability, run smaller gaps. For those who want to run bigger gaps for drivability at low revs fit a stronger amplifier. Simples

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So what's the recommended upgrade to the amplifier? I didn't think there was a bolt-on alternative.

I don't think it really applies to me because the only ignition problems I've had were from having too small a gap thus giving a weak spark at high revs. I just use 0.9mm with the standard coil now, and that seem to work for me.