What have you done with your pulsar today?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe hit the casing with a hammer 1st see if it unlocked like mine did?
Once cool the next day it went into 1st and reverse. Could drive forward and back. Can't get 3rd and sounds a bit rattly in neutral. Might be worth a bit more exploring first like you say.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've been looking seriously at pulsar turbos, China copy of garret but can't find any significant concerns online. Apparently the cores are made in the same place? Most reviews praise them for unexpected quality. £500 for a gtx2, not worth worrying about a rebuild
Reliable the track tho?

I'm wondering how long they'd last? Also will they have plastic bearing cages or heat sheilds?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
They're getting popular in drifting circles so not total rubbish. I know some of the other copy brands are. I've not used them but can't find a bad review from the people who are. Check it out online and let me know

Cathode

Strangely enough i was talking to a chap yesterday who bought the cheaper Tegiwa equivalent to the Garret 3076 for his S14 and said it was "awesome"

Cathode

Yesterday, i borrowed a strobe/flash gun (not sure of the terminology) to adjust my ignition timing (with the TPS unplugged to fix the idle) which was quite a way out. Got it bang on 15 degrees, altered the ICV accordingly and took it out for a spin. Since i've nearly covered 300 miles from my build i decided to give some more welly and OMG, what a difference that makes! it's so responsive now and really picks up the pace. It was a lot of fun.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just bought some fresh gearbox oil, will change that at the weekend and see if any metal bits come out or whether it solves the synchro issue.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
They're getting popular in drifting circles so not total rubbish. I know some of the other copy brands are. I've not used them but can't find a bad review from the people who are. Check it out online and let me know
I'm not overally convinced as of yet!

Being that so cheap just has bells ringing for me and the last thing I'd want is to have bits of turbo being injested into my engine or a failure on track.

I'm going to have a look around for other feeback, but most seems to be early feedback or delivery feedback than 1 or 2 year hard use feedback....

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'm having my turbo sent back to me for a 2nd opnion.

If they think its over a grand of work then I'll get it sorted with OD.

I'll just have to save a few £££'s over the months!

zia

For £1500 you can get the new garret g25,g30 with all new tech and new materials,

Zia

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Changed gearbox oil, took the car for a tentative drive and seems to shift better now. Need to go for a longer drive with revs to know it's resolved whatever happened before. One for another day

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
For £1500 you can get the new garret g25,g30 with all new tech and new materials,

Zia
Problem is, "apparently" there is materail shortages, so I could be waiting for a while to get a new turbo!

Although a GTX28 turbo or similar would be more attractive to me!

Jon Olds

Forthcoming rallying in the north east. An event just announced 27th December at Langbaugh Motorsports (kart track) Middlesborough.
Entered in my GTIR, just needs a new plumbed fire system and an MOT and checkover. New 17 year old co driver.
Come support and see a rally GTIR in action....
Jon

Jon Olds

Listed loads of GTIR parts on facebook marketplace. Really good response so far, so there are still people playing with these toys.
Which is good news for all of us.
Drop me a message if you need stuff
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Listed loads of GTIR parts on facebook marketplace. Really good response so far, so there are still people playing with these toys.
Which is good news for all of us.
Drop me a message if you need stuff
Jon
Performance stuff or just OEM parts?

Any links?