What have you done with your pulsar today?

littlewimp

Today, I finally got an MOT after 11 years off the road. I'm still slightly surprised. A couple of minor tidy up jobs the mechanic spotted but nothing significant so no advisories. I just need to sort insurance now and can start to run the engine in.
Mine will hopefully going for Mot Shortly, its only been in Hibernation for 5 yrs though campellju.

Cathode

Today is a good day, because today I managed to get the pulsar running correctly. New distributor cap and a new - to me - AFM. Put all on and boom! Started up first time on all 4 cylinders and super smooth. If I hadn’t been so shocked I would’ve cried. I really didn’t expect it. So drinking a celebratory beer right now.

Just a question if anyone can wade in. I did take off the tensioner and put it back on to reset the tension on the chain which was as tight as a nun’s nickers. Slightly slacker now and as it should be IMO. I did this because it sounded as if the chain was whining under too much stress. The whining is less now but it is still a little noisy.

How normal is this for the SR20? Are your engines as quiet as church?

Eng1

Drinking ice cold Czech beer is the correct procedure post fixing car .
I would be tempted to fit a new tensioner around 30 quid , the chain and guides are hard to get wrong , there is a lot of load on the chain , valves, springs ,cams etc so 1/8-1/4 inch play or so , I guess oil pressure is good .
If it changed already tensioner
out and back then I would start there ,maybe sticking , a bit of noise on a cold start for a few seconds maybe but after that should be pretty quiet .

Cathode

I’ll do this. I have a genuine Nissan article to put on. Don’t think the current one is. I’ll do this in the next few days and see how it takes.

Cathode

I want to try taking off the upper chain guard to see if it’s that making a racket. If not I’ll change the tensioner. I have a distant memory of someone claiming that it sorted their problem but I might be imagining that.

geoff pine

Nissan recommend that you remove the cam cover when changing the chain tensioner ! .Its along time since i changed mine don't you have to pre load it before you insert it! once in place using a spanner on the crank pulley movement of the chain makes it spring out to tension the chain. If its not released its self it needs poking with a flat bladed screw driver from above this is in the nissan work shop manual.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Got the insurance covered. Peter James haven't got back to me yet, I mentioned GTIROC and heavily modified and I'm still waiting.

Went with my current insurer, all mods declared and agreed valuation of £15000 with breakdown cover.

The car is in theory more valuable now than it's ever been so don't want to cut corners on the insurance. Experience tells me it needs breakdown cover :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edit: Just taxed it, one less thing to do tomorrow. Can start the mapping and running in process.

Last edited:

Cathode

Thanks for this Geoff. It’s nice to see this info as I read pretty much the exact explanation/recommendation yesterday. I’ve already bought a Nissan tensioner. But I mean a used one. I have a new Nissan tensioner but I’m really not sure it’s actually the genuine article regardless of what the box says. Can’t find my old original one so this other used one is on its way.

geoff pine

the tensioner was always problematic in the Nissans SR engine range i did read it was redesigned in 1996 which is why i changed mine > so they may look slightly different there would have been a post about it on here years ago :grimacing:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Took the car on the road for the first time in over 11 years. Drove around the block again and again for about an hour so I could stay within walking distance of home in case of issues. Mapping is now in the right ball park up to 30 mph. For some reason since the new engine is installed the fuelling is a few points rich.

Not in any rush after all this time so just taking it slow.

Funniest part was all the clunking noises the R makes and then remembering that they were normal.

splmum

the tensioner was always problematic in the Nissans SR engine range i did read it was redesigned in 1996 which is why i changed mine > so they may look slightly different there would have been a post about it on here years ago :grimacing:
Yep, the 'new' tensioner has finer teeth on the ratchet, probably double the original tensioner, otherwise everything else is the same.

Cathode

Yes, I noticed this today. Received a used original Nissan tensioner and compared it with the other purported Nissan tensioner. As you said, more teeth. Plus the spring is much stronger. I fitted the older tensioner and the noise was still there, but on further inspection I discovered it was not the timing chain or tensioner at all, it was the power steering pump! Not enough fluid. Topped it up, gave it a few full lock steers and noise has gone. The engine runs quietly and smoothly. Happy days!!! Thank you to everybody for your input. A learning experience nonetheless!!

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Took the car on the road for the first time in over 11 years. Drove around the block again and again for about an hour so I could stay within walking distance of home in case of issues. Mapping is now in the right ball park up to 30 mph. For some reason since the new engine is installed the fuelling is a few points rich.

Funniest part was all the clunking noises the R makes and then remembering that they were normal.
Excellent Jim! Absolutely made up for you :grin:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member

Awesome news mate, glad its made its 1st trip out.

My pistons have arrived and block will be going to the shop next week for the start of its rebuild!