uprating the ignition

Dooie Pop Pop

iv an msd blaster coil, does anybody know if i can uprate anything else on the stock ignition system like the pack before the coil (amplifier/module?)

cheers, stu

O

Odin

skiddusmarkus said:
How does it work though Rob?Do you do away with the dizzy?Do you then need a trigger on the crank?

yes you would need to get a crank trigger fitted :wink: .

rob

A

Anonymous

Dooie Pop Pop said:
iv an msd blaster coil, does anybody know if i can uprate anything else on the stock ignition system like the pack before the coil (amplifier/module?)
do you actually NEED to uprate anything :?:

doesn't ivan tomic's car run in excess of 400bhp with the std ignition system :?: :shock:

zia

they are following the old saying the bigger/newer/uprated it is the better it will perform!! assumption is not wisdom.

zia

Dooie Pop Pop

zia said:
they are following the old saying the bigger/newer/uprated it is the better it will perform!! assumption is not wisdom.

zia
nooo im not dude :lol: i posted twice about this :oops: im looking to replace the unit (£75+vat) because its old and suspect :wink: and taking into account how much the msd blaster coil cost me (£50 odd inc lead and resistor :p V' s nissan' s £130 iirc) uprating the ignition is more economical :!: there' s nothing wrong with a better spark is there zia? :wink:

stu

GTIR-LOZ

are there no aftermarket amplifiers that just bolt on to where the old one is and do the same thing without all the control unit stuff i would like to change mine, the same as dooies as i have a small missfire about 2k but just want it simple, can you give me a link to where you got your coil from dooie please :D

zia

get good second hand for tener, will work just as well as msd, plenty available even nick from the standard primera/sunny if you want does exactly same thing cheap! no cutting wire/ relocating?heat/cold/wear resisdant??? so which one's cheaper? does the msd really seem worthwhile? food for thought..no! :wink:

zia

R

robinsongtir

been looking at MDI igniton parts e-mailed Checkerflag to see if there is a vehilce specific one for the GTI-R

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
oap-r said:
doesn't ivan tomic's car run in excess of 400bhp with the std ignition system :?: :shock:
Last time I saw his power figure, he was in excess of 500bhp, but I can't remember if it was the standard ignition or not :?

Dooie Pop Pop

zia said:
get good second hand for tener, will work just as well as msd, plenty available even nick from the standard primera/sunny if you want does exactly same thing cheap! no cutting wire/ relocating?heat/cold/wear resisdant??? so which one's cheaper? does the msd really seem worthwhile? food for thought..no! :wink:

zia
im not keen on second hand electrical parts. i plan to keep the car and i like peace of mind :wink: if your talking about the coil then the £75 odd difference IS worthwhile imho regardless of the 20mins it took a numpty to fit it (badly :wink: )
if your talking about the module/amplifier (part no' 22020-53j20)

iv no idea mate tbh. it seems that some sort of kit is required which is waaay beyond what i want. id have individual coil packs if i was feeling ott :twisted:

regards, stu