Uprated Fuelling (Bosch 044)

Trip

there is a guy on the other site who is selling a complete setup..

the problem is it won't pass scrutineering the way its setup

skiddusmarkus

Do people always put the swirl pot inside the boot?I'm not that happy about it being there and would prefer it under the car in case of an accident and it leaking.Do swirl pots work any way up?Another reason being I've seen videos of an 044 running and they are bloody noisy, so would prefer to have it out the way.

Jon Olds

Made my swirl pot. Got a short length od 100mm ali pipe, and fab'ed the rest. Got a local guy to weld it up. Cheap effective

stumo

Do people always put the swirl pot inside the boot?I'm not that happy about it being there and would prefer it under the car in case of an accident and it leaking.Do swirl pots work any way up?Another reason being I've seen videos of an 044 running and they are bloody noisy, so would prefer to have it out the way.
skiddy, as you prob know, a swirl pot is just a reservoir for the main pump to suck on so that you don't lose fuel pressure when you go round corners and press the throttle.

it can be made of anything, steel, ali etc, you don't even have to mount the pump inside it.

you have several pipes going to and from the swirl pot, they are:

a feed pipe from the pump in the tank,
a return to the tank (as high as poss to keep the res as full as poss )
a feed pipe to the main pump (as low as poss and to the rear of the pot)
a return pipe from the pressure reg.

as there shouldn't be any pressure in the pot it can be made from sheet ali

skiddusmarkus

Thanks for the replies.I get the idea of how they work and have bought one off pulsarboby.

I just wondered if it was ok to have one say under the boot but upside down, with the feed pipe and return being reversed?I'd just prefer to not have it inside the car if possible in case of an accident and the noise of the pump.I guess the pump would have to have some protection from the elements but my car spends most of its time in the garage anyway.
VSS, I'd seen those collecters after searching on here, they look good and I also found a US firm that makes the for the 044 and also double ones.

My plan is to have mine in the cabin and box it in, not sure if I will have something fabricated or mould sowething from CF/GF. My preference from a weight/aesthetic stand point would be CF but need to research the correct epoxy to be heat/flame/fuel resistant.

stumo

skiddy, they can be run in any orientation (it's just a tank) but to get full effect from it you need the return to the tank as high as poss and the feed to the pump as low as poss.

skiddusmarkus

Maka, I thought about boxing it in but for me would have to be metal really so it can't burn.Its not that I overly worry about crashing its just my little girl loves the car and is always pestering to go in it.I'm not going to have a fire hazard right behind her seat.
Stumo(capital s as starting a sentance)the tank in the picture more or less puts the in/out in the same place if upside down so I presume I should have the pump as low as possible so its got gravity helping to feed it or does it not matter at all?

skiddusmarkus

Just had the pot delivered and the return to the tank on top is quite a bit smaller diameter than the feed for the external pump on the bottom, so don't think I can invert it now.

stumo

Just had the pot delivered and the return to the tank on top is quite a bit smaller diameter than the feed for the external pump on the bottom, so don't think I can invert it now.
just get it altered

can't see your picture now, it's "forbidden" lol

and it's always small "s", dickwad

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So feed it from the tank in the rear, but then have a swirl-pot and a short run to the fuel rail? - That makes sense, and there's plenty of room to mount it there.

I'm sure I've seen something like that sold as an "EFI anti-suge tank" now that I think about it.

skiddusmarkus

Yes I'd thought of putting it under the bonnet, i could probably make room but again thinking of how safe having an extra 1-2l of fuel under the bonnet is in an accident.Plus the fuel is going to get pretty warm in the pot.

Don't fancy having 2 litre of fuel in an area of the car thats design to deform in a crash near a hot exhaust manifold and turbocharger. I'd rather have it within the "cell" of the monocoque and then separate it from the occupants by boxing it away.