Uprated Fuelling (Bosch 044)

Smo

Hi guys,

I've had a plan for my fuelling setup in place for a while now, which was a 1.5L Swirl Pot, Walbro 255 in-tank and a Bosch 044 Inline to a SARD FPR. However, since talking to a friend of mine who owned a 556bhp Evo VII he said I shouldn't need a swirl pot and can just run the Bosch 044 inline to handle the power. MADevelopments built his 2.3 stroker Evo and ran this setup on the car without issue.

Is this feasable? That I can (less crudely) slap a Bosch 044 between the Walbro and the FPR?

I plan on running 500bhp+ at 2.0bar+.

red reading

you could but whats the point? just fit the swirl pot as well and banish the fear of fuel surge (which is running lean and detonation in one )

And i know mark shead of ma developments would'nt have speced it like that if there was any risk of fuel surge on the evo

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd put the swirl pot in too; in terms of fuelling the Walbro is probably all you need, but as Danny says the swirl pot eliminates fuel surge. - Maybe the EVO isn't prone to this problem so they don't need it, but a swirl pot is a pretty common mod on standard Lancers (I know mine had shocking fuel surge on roundabouts).

shroom

fuel surge is evil, i experianced it at the sprint day with RU55 it sounded horrible and felt bad too,

olliecast

100% fit the swirl pot.
run the walbro in the tank with a longer piece of hose on the end with the bag. Let this fill the swirl pot then feed the 044 from this.

I can run my tank level under empty and have no fuel surge whatsoever

bernieGTIR

hi ya smo.
thats the same set up i'm runing due to fuel surge. with all those twisty roads on the isle of white you will need it m8

Smo

Sounds like Swirl Pot is the way to go then! Can anybody recommend a decent one?

ashills

the evos have alot better tank setup as standard as the pump sits in its own catch tank so doesnt run dry nearly as often as the gtir
they do what your talking about alot but id say a swirl pot in the boot is the safest bet

bracpan

Anyone ever fitted foam baffling in the tank?
Yes and still needed a Swirlpot..it helps but does not cure it. If your going to use the car in competition you will have to put the pot and pump in an enclosure to get past the regs...
Now I wounder where you get one of them ?? lol
Goodluck
Phil

bernieGTIR

Yes and still needed a Swirlpot..it helps but does not cure it. If your going to use the car in competition you will have to put the pot and pump in an enclosure to get past the regs...
Now I wounder where you get one of them ?? lol
Goodluck
Phil
demon tweeks, rally design, pro alloy to name a few places. i personlly recommend pro alloy as i have used there fmic rads swirlpots and tanks before a the work is spot on

red reading

demon tweeks, rally design, pro alloy to name a few places. i personlly recommend pro alloy as i have used there fmic rads swirlpots and tanks before a the work is spot on

Read it again...... bracpan make's a enclosure that is custom fit to the gtir not the swirl pots or any other alloy parts

Jon Olds

You can make your own swirl pot, if you tight like me. start off by finding a metal supplier and buy a 5" length of 5" dia ali pipe. The fill the end in and add some pipes. It works. All you need is a tame ali welder, who works for tea money

Smo

Right guys - coming back to this, as I've never done this before I'm not sure what I'm ordering, so can somebody please link me to the parts I need?

eastwood

Im also doing mine. I bought the swirl pot from ABP motorsport off ebay £60ish. I have an 044 for in the tank and a 305lph inline to feed the engine then its just pipes and clips a bracket for the inline pump. I havnt had time to fit it all up yet. I just went to regent hose for all the fittings and pipe work.