Uneven brake pad wear

bob the builder

hi peeps i have a problem with my willwood dynapro brakes.
i have just fitted some new pads to them.when i took the old ones out they were wedge shaped .thinner on the top than on the bottom.
before fitting the new pads i checked to make sure that all the pistons were free and moved.
i have since done a track day at oulton where i found the pads i got were crap so spent some more cash and got some propper track pads.
i fitted them tonight and when i did i found the other pads had worn the same as before, thin at the top and thick at the bottom.

anyone got any ideas why they keep doing this as i dont want to waste these ones as they cost an arm and a leg.
cheers

MarkTurbo

If the pads are wearing tapered along the length of them its more than likely down to the piston arrangement in the caliper. I'm guessing all 4 pistons are the same size in your calipers?

More expensive calipers have differential bores to stop this happening. The piston the disc comes into contact first is a smaller diameter and the pistons then increase in diameter as you move along the caliper.

This picture probably explains it better.

bob the builder

cheers for the help peeps.
oh well woll just have to remember to keep turning them.
by the way mark nice calipers, dont fancy a swap for some willwoods.lmao

andy you up for this track day at mallory on the 4th?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
andy you up for this track day at mallory on the 4th?
To be honest Bob, I've not really looked at it.

Mallory has never been somewhere I've really been that interested about as its a bit short and if there are no chicanes in place, its just a point and squirt track :sad:

I've asked about it, but I'm not gagging to go...