tightening of hub nut

D

DodgeT

had driveshaft out to replace cv gaitor, the hub/wheel bearing nut (the big one) the mechanic just tightened up.

my experience with wheel bearing nuts is that you tighten them, back the nut off slightly, then nip it up. But he said these ones are to be tightened.

dont know if its just coincidence but i seem to have developed a "wheel bearing" type noise form the same side he changed.

is he right, do you just "bollock" it up, or should it have been backed off & nipped, or tightened to a lower setting???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I just tightened it up.
It might be taper wheel bearings that you do up then back off then nip up.

J

jasegould

As Fastguy said, taper wheel bearings need to be backed off a bit leaving a slight bit of play, the casette/sealed bearins as found on dirven axles need to be done up tight.

I had a customer who tightened a taper bearing up as tight as he could, the bearing "welded" itself to the stub axle...he was trying to save a few quid ended up costing loads more :lol:

J

jasegould

dont know if its just coincidence but i seem to have developed a "wheel bearing" type noise form the same side he changed.
I have had a few cars in at work where there is a wheel bearing noise from one side but it actually has turned out to be the other side, sometimes can very hard to track down the appropriate side, isnt always as obvious as it looks....and did the mechanic have a proper press?? It can be very easy to fcuk up a bearing if you dont have the right gear....just a though as we have an ancient screw press and we have to be so careful

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's also possible to screw a wheel bearing by not putting the cv joint through it squarely as I found out on my last car (2 piece bearing) . I must have caught something on the way through and when I drove it there was abit of noise, 5miles later the inner race was in 3 pieces :shock: :oops:

BenD

i have the same problem, its damn annoying and i cant seem to locate which side its coming from. i didnt think our bearings were the tapered type :? When i had fitted, i made sure what they were, and they deffo werent tapered. I have had both sides done by a local garage, just cuz i couldnt be bothered to do it myself, but ive checked for play in the bearings, and it doesnt feel like they have collapsed, but im still getting the whiring and grinding feeling through the car. :x :x

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth having your tracking checked. I (same last car) had the tracking done and as soon as I drove it out of the garage the wheel bearing was rumbling in a straight line and going quiet on corners. :? :evil:

D

DodgeT

think ill get tracking done, track rod end came loose a while back, so needs checking really.

ill have a check of the play in the wheels tonight.

T

Toady

different manufacturers have different ways of doin it, ie. on a vauxhall nova the rear nut has to be torqued up to a certain torque, cant remember what , then they are backed off and tightened again till there is a fraction of play in the bearing i think, i only did one at work a few moinths ago and hav forgotton already!lol! :lol:
i need a beer! :wink:

A

Anonymous

On this subject of the hub nut...I have another question to ask....

I've recently had a noise, which sounded like a wheel bearing coming from the drivers side. On taking the wheel off the bearing was OK, but there was a lot of play in the wheel.......the Hub Nut was really loose!!!! I've tightened it up real tight now.....however....on looking at another GTIR's hub nut, I noticed a sought of fail safe devise over the nut. It was a cover for the nut with sought of grooves in it therefore allowing a pin to lock in it. I pesume this is there just in case the hub nut did come really loose, it's then a second devise to stop the wheel from coming off?

My car hasn't got this part on either of the front 2 wheels. Is it really important? or can I get a way with having the hub nut just really tight?

If I do need this part.....where can I get it from and what's the name of it or part number?

J

jasegould

ALL HUB NUTS SHOULD HAVE A LOCKING DEVICE THAT PREVENTS THEM COMING UNDONE!!
Yes you need them, you can get them from Nissan, or try GTIR Spares.

You may have nyloc nuts which is why they look different but as far as i know thet are not used to lock hubnuts.

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah you should have a locking cap held in place with a split pin (just been looking at mine 10 mins ago).

A

Anonymous

Cheers Lads...............I'll get the locking caps and pins ordered asap.

Keira

check the brake disc isnt rubbing on the stone guard, i had this and thought it was a wheel bearing, was only went i went to change it i noticed it

O

owens

jasegould said:
ALL HUB NUTS SHOULD HAVE A LOCKING DEVICE THAT PREVENTS THEM COMING UNDONE!!
Yes you need them, you can get them from Nissan, or try GTIR Spares.

You may have nyloc nuts which is why they look different but as far as i know thet are not used to lock hubnuts.
not all hubs require a locking device to stop them comming undone, ive been a mechanic for 9 years and ive worked for a good few main dealers and there isnt many cars that use split pins and caps nowdays even those that do its very very rare that they come loose, but if the manafacturer fits them as standard it would be wise to follow there ruling and fit them.