Ti valve retainers

Nad

[quote="oap-r.i seem to be stuck with a 1500 rpm idle at the moment but we`re still trying to map it downwards.[/quote]

That was normally put down to the idle control valve. Do a search it has come up before, lots.

The duration controls the power band, the lift how much power u get. Then there is the timing between the two cams to take into account.

Nad

Hkondakci

Memski dostum 8) :wink: I've got the JUN 272 degree duration 11,0mm lift cams with all other JUn head-hardware. I choose JUN because of their vast experience with the SR20DET engine in circuit and drag racing. The JUN cams offer less lift then the Tomei Pro-cams. The duration ia little higher (270 Tomei, 272 JUN). You're right about the valve background info; the higher the duration the longer the valves are opened, the higher the lift the more the valves are opened. Often it is very difficult to produce cams that have both, and still supply reasonable idle and mid-range performance. Especially with extra high-lift cams, this is very difficult to get. Tomei makes good cams, which offer good torquey engine characteristics, JUN gives more the high revving high rmp race-style characteristics. I liked the last better, hence my choice.
I would go for an 260 (tomei) or 264 (JUN) with an 350-400HP (like HKS GT-RS, GT2540R, GT2835 turbines etc) engine; till around 450-500HP (like HKS GT3037 52T-56T turbines) 272 (JUN) or 270 (TOMEI) will be a good supplement; above 450-500HP (HKS GT3240, Apex'i RX6B TWC76LS) 280 degree (JUN/Tomei) cams would be suitable for our R engine; both used for fast-road aswell as occasionally track driving. If only circuitracing is in mind 300 or even 320 duration cams can be custom made; but this will be a 2000-2500rpm idler :p :wink:
NAD is very much right when saying first choose the cams when thinking of rebuilding the engine; the turbine and cams need to be made for eachother. :wink:

Piper cams are dearer than JUN or Tomei cams. And I would certainly go for the Japanese tuners on this item.

rgds
habib

A

Anonymous

Nad said:
That was normally put down to the idle control valve. Do a search it has come up before, lots.

Nad
:lol: :lol: :lol: it`ll be a cold day in hell before i need/want/take any advice from you.

Nad

oap-r said:
Nad said:

Nad
:lol: :lol: :lol: it`ll be a cold day in hell before i need/want/take any advice from you.
Whatever, it wasnt me that done the testing, was done by a chap called Dave, this was on the old yahoo forum, he changed and tested every vavle etc that related to this.

Nad

P.S. No loss to me if u dont want my advice, what do I care? Dont bother asking next time :roll: ****** **** **** ****** ****

A

Anonymous

Nad said:
P.S. No loss to me if u dont want my advice, what do I care? Dont bother asking next time :roll: ****** **** **** ****** ****
i didn`t ask you and am never likely to ask you for any advice.i only ask people who know what they are talking about and have proven their abilities. :evil:

Nad

oap-r said:
i didn`t ask you and am never likely to ask you for any advice.i only ask people who know what they are talking about and have proven their abilities. :evil:
How can u prove ur ability to research. Thats what most people do nowadays to find something out. 99% of the time people refer to something that has been found out by someone previously, rather than found out themselves. To know what I am talking about I am only refering to what someone else has spoken about before. Most of what I say is always from another source other than my own thoughts.

If i had bothered to read into ur previous post further I would have realised that your high rpm is propbably due to cam choice rather than an idle control issue, but being that I have to scan most of the forum quickly to moderate it, not everything gets read properly. In regards to how much I know, as u r not me, how do u know how much I know?

Regards

Nad

E

Edd

Yes ladies i think we all know that you fancy each other :eek: :roll:

Best keep this sideline debate to email than drag it on the forum. :D

A

Anonymous

Hkondakci said:
Piper cams are dearer than JUN or Tomei cams. And I would certainly go for the Japanese tuners on this item.
£417 + vat for the pair and that`s direct to the public.if you have a decent arrangement with your tuner you might even get them cheaper :wink:

on what basis would you only consider the jap cams?
afaik,i am only person with the 12.5mm/270 deg duration piper cam and you haven`t asked me if it`s any good!
you wouldn`t happen to sell the jap cams habib :wink: :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Tell us more about these cams then.What's bottom end power like,midrange and topend?You had it on the RR before and after fitting cams?

Dave(Nad) was offering advice-you either ignore it or don't.Keep it civil though please :D .

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
Tell us more about these cams then.What's bottom end power like,midrange and topend?You had it on the RR before and after fitting cams?

Dave(Nad) was offering advice-you either ignore it or don't.Keep it civil though please :D .
check the polls mate :wink: i never asked for advice,it`s all in hand.

the cams are magic :D power starts to come in at 3k and builds steadily right up to the limiter.sam says it`s the fastest car he`s ever been in :D
and he`s got 475bhp out of his evo7.

hope to get it figured in jan at the jocks rr day in glenrothes

skiddusmarkus

If the Piper cams were a bit cheaper I'd be tempted as I'd rather get home grown stuff,but when you can get Tomei cams for around £300-350(all in)then they don't look so attractive.
I read some testing an Evo owner did on Piper cams and they were found to be superior to all the others.Testing was done on an engine dyno so accurate.

M

memski

Yeah they seem like a good crack but can't find them anywhere (had a search on the web and only found the lower lift road cams).

A

Anonymous

memski said:
Yeah they seem like a good crack but can't find them anywhere (had a search on the web and only found the lower lift road cams).
have you tried phoning them direct?
the guy i spoke to today knew all about "my" cams :D

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
If the Piper cams were a bit cheaper I'd be tempted as I'd rather get home grown stuff,but when you can get Tomei cams for around £300-350(all in)then they don't look so attractive.
2 high lift cams with all taxes paid for £350?
if that`s right that is a good price.

skiddusmarkus

Tomei cams from Checker are about £250 before shipping and tax.I've seen HKS ones for approx £200 for the pair in US before s&t.
Should know how fast your car is really(pre mental boost) :wink: .

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
Should know how fast your car is really(pre mental boost) :wink: .
you`ll have to try it now,absolutely mental.you really wouldn`t believe it is the same car :D