This should keep me busy in the garage over the winter

MarkTurbo

Yes, and yes ;)

I'll be doing the exhaust manifold myself so I can play around with the turbo position, it's a lot to squeeze in!

Cathode

I didn't know BorgWarner made washing machines. That's massive!!! or at least it seems so. I assume you know it's going to fit, but do you have to move anything about to get it in??

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

Standard (ish:p) position will be the best place I think.

I didn't know BorgWarner made washing machines. Dear GOD!! That's massive!!! or at least it seems so. I assume you know it's going to fit, but do you have to move anything about to get it in??
It'll fit :praying: The compressor housing isn't much bigger than the 3071 I had on there, the exhaust housing is huge though!

This is what I've got in mind but with the turbo the normal way round.

Z20-T4t.jpg

Cathode

Wow, that’s some set up! That mani is bonkers, in a good way. I really hope this works out for you without any hidden nasties to push you back. You must be excited. I am and it’s not even mine!

zia

What boost you going to run? when will you likely see max boost?
going to be tight for sure
planning on going garret route myself with g25 550 or 660.but if you get impressire spool and power numbers :)

Zia

MarkTurbo

I know somebody with the same setup on his Evo (also 2.3 stroker) and he was getting 520bhp at 6000rpm and 550ft/lbs at 3700rpm so hoping for similar! Think that was around 2 bar, might run a bit less just to be kinder on the transmission.

I'm not that bothered about numbers, just after decent power early on and no lag. From all the graphs I've seen the only downside is the power starts dropping off a bit higher up in the rev range but you can't have everything.

I did get asked if I'd considered the Garrett G25 turbo's when I priced it up but I haven't heard much about them to be honest.

Last edited:

daddyone

Looks awesome bro, please update us with graphs etc. when you have them, seriously interested in going this way myself.

astarozna

If in stock position won't it hit the block/gearbox, compressor housing i mean? I think comparing stroker evo engine to our sr20 is not quite the same but i'm hoping you prove me wrong sooooon :grinning:

MarkTurbo

My engine is a 2.3 stroker too ;)

When I say the turbo will be in the standard position I meant it'll be going down between the front of the engine and the radiator somewhere, exactly where it ends up I won't know until I get everything off and put it up there.

Looks awesome bro, please update us with graphs etc. when you have them, seriously interested in going this way myself.
Thanks, I'm hoping it'll be done by early next year!

daddyone

I struggled to clock the manifold when fitting my T2 frame turbo - it was very close to the rad. Are you going to run a thinner rad?

2015-08-21 09.42.15.jpg

2015-08-21 09.42.21.jpg

2015-08-21 14.43.58.jpg

2015-08-21 14.44.01.jpg

2015-11-26 12.53.06.jpg

2015-11-26 12.53.06-1.jpg

2015-12-01 14.04.04.jpg

2017-01-18 15.39.55.jpg

2017-01-18 15.40.04.jpg

Cathode

Yes, it'll be fine won't it? :oops:
Should be for a while. i'm sure you've heard that people talk about the gear box as if it were made of Cadbury's. Zia will correct me on this, but i think he was running 360 for a few years before his decided to pack up and leave.

MarkTurbo

I was pulling your leg, I've had a Quaife box for years ;)

A standard box would have fallen apart as soon as it came on boost, once you get up near 350 ft/lbs stripping gears is pretty much a certainty. I've stripped 2nd gear before on standard boost and 3rd when I first built the stroker engine.

I struggled to clock the manifold when fitting my T2 frame turbo - it was very close to the rad. Are you going to run a thinner rad?
I'm guessing that's something like a 3076 you've got on there? That DP manifold looks like it mounts it away from the block a bit too.

The compressor housing on the Borg Warner is actually pretty compact for it's size apart from the dump valve part so I think it should be ok even though my car is a UK Sunny so has the thicker radiator.

Cathode

I thought you should've known. Much longer standing member than me! Couldn't taste the leg pulling. Embarrassing. :relaxed:

O well, i look forward to stripping my gear box.

MarkTurbo

I learnt my lesson years ago when I stupidly thought that the standard box might take the torque of a GT3071 on a 2.3, first thing I did after building it was take it to Castle Combe and it didn't take long before 3rd gear ended up stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the box :rolleyes:

This is the graph from the Evo 6 I mentioned earlier and another one I robbed off the mlr, I'm not bothered if it makes less than this but it gives a rough idea of what the turbo is capable of.

Screenshot_20201204-094023_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201204-093359_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cathode

Pure evil, that kind of power must be savage in a Pulsar weighing just over a ton. A lot of fun though I'd imagine.