TEIN coilovers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
To answer the question, an ARB reduces roll (clue's in the title)

If your front rolls more than the back, then more weight will be transferred to the front than when completely level. The front will then have more grip than the back relativley speaking as it has more weight pushing down on the tyres. So if you stiffen the front ARB, it rolls less, the back rolls more relativley so takes more grip.

However........

ard1ey said:
If you uprate the rear bar to a stiffer one it'll help reduce understeer whatever, but you may end up with the back end stepping out if you go too hard.
Agree entirley and you may only know its too stiff when its greasy and you go backwards into a tree at 60mph :shock:

zia

I've done em before on another car and never again. They had to be burnt out on that.

I need to do the whitleline castor bush which I'm sure will be a big too.

I've got my angle grinder at the ready to get the old one
#

don,t have access to oxyceteylene(spelling). so had had to use combination of junior hacksaw and a drill!!! large hammer and drift/chisel. the castor bushes ain,t that hard. the rears are piece of piss to do.

zia

D

damien4uuk

The prob im having is just after you go round a bend it starts to head for the kerb, The way im corecting it is to come hard off the gas just as i enter and the behind starts to step out, thing is i dont want to step off the gas :lol: .(i sware my old clio was better at handling).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
zia said:
don,t have access to oxyceteylene(spelling). so had had to use combination of junior hacksaw and a drill!!! large hammer and drift/chisel. the castor bushes ain,t that hard. the rears are piece of naughty to do.

zia
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought new arms so so the back one already has anew Nissan Bush which will do for now. The castor bush in theory should be easy but does it want to move :x

I think I'll try your strategy, sounds like a good plan :wink:

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
damien4uuk said:
The prob im having is just after you go round a bend it starts to head for the kerb, The way im corecting it is to come hard off the gas just as i enter and the behind starts to step out, thing is i dont want to step off the gas :lol: .(i sware my old clio was better at handling).
Are you going into the corner under power then?
What tyres you running? How do they compare front to back?
What tyre pressures are you running?

Quotes from the link on steady state understeer that sounds like what you're getting.

If front tire temps are optimum and rears are low, stiffen rear antiroll bar; if front temps are too hot, soften front (most likely).
If front tire pressures are optimum, decrease rear tire pressure. Increase if chunking occurs.
Improper front camber.
Too much body roll at front, causing excessive camber change

What mods have you done so far? is it lowered, stiffened?

You've not really given enough info to give any useful advice. Read the link

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Comparing the R to a clio is bit apples and pears. Mid corner power oversteer is almost impossible, Renault engineers do cheeky things to the geometry so the clio cocks its outside wheel to keep the fronts digging in. Do that on an R and apply the power and you'll be going backwards down the road :lol:

Just cause the engine's in the same place, it doesn't mean you drive it the same :wink:

Jim