TEIN coilovers

D

damien4uuk

When i bought my pulsar from japan it came with Tein(might be spelt wrong) coilovers, My question is how do you make the shocks softer? I know how to ajust the ride hight but not the softness. Also just out of intrest whats the best electronic boost controller?, ive been looking at the new apexi is it any good?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depending what model the are, you put an Allen key in the top of the strut and rotate it. You should feel it clicking. They never go anywhere near soft enough, but you will notice the difference between (rock) hard and soft :wink:

D

damien4uuk

i will give it ago tomoz. Is it ok suspention or should i look for somthing else?

J

justin666

On the softest settin my teins are softer than my old cr4ppy nismo ones.! :? Keep um, Teins are great :D Apexi AVCR's are great too :D

J...

D

damien4uuk

Thanks justin umm one more question, ive done my best too elimanate understeer but it still remains, Will whiteline roll bars stop this?

Cris

damien4uuk said:
i will give it ago tomoz. Is it ok suspention or should i look for somthing else?
If you want it to be softer then you could fit softer springs. Coil-overs (especially) have a rating on the 'strength' of the spring kg/mm I think.

If you knew what your current spring were rated as then just pick something softer.

Pairs of springs were about £60 when I looked.

D

damien4uuk

I have no idea the rating of my springs but i do know the i live right out in the middle of the stiks. and all the country roads dont do my r any good.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
damien4uuk said:
Thanks justin umm one more question, ive done my best too elimanate understeer but it still remains, Will whiteline roll bars stop this?
I put a link in the handling stickyabout curing handling problems:

Useful info from this site for eliminating handling problems.
http://track-days.org/page8.html

Is the understeer on entry, mid corner, exit or on power. Often with people its on power so adjusting your driving style is a good idea.

I've just fitted a set of (newer?) Teins to mine and I'm extremely impressed with the quality. To adjust the stiffness there's a small black rubber dial (?Thing) on the top that clicks when you turn it with your fingers.

Setting up coilovers properly is an art as changing ride height changes your centre of gravity, roll centre and geometry of the suspension. (You could raise the front relative to the back)

For starters leave then the same height all round. To "cure" your understeer, in general:
soften the front, stiffen the back dampers
fit a rear ARB if you want. (Similar effect to raising front and lowering rear.)

I intend to do a series of posts about my story setting up the coilovers.... once I've got my front arms on again. So far its a story of rusty things snapping, seized bolts and spending hours drilling things out :roll:
Not very exciting.

Jim

zia

got my front arms on again. So far its a story of rusty things snapping, seized bolts and spending hours drilling things out
Not very exciting
have you removed the old bushes yet. did mine. what a cuntish job specially the middle one :lol:

zia

nismoboy

fit a rear ARB if you want. (Similar effect to raising front and lowering rear.)

I was thinking about fitting a whiteline arb but if this does what u say then i wont bother as its the front that keeps losing traction and raising it is just gonna make things worse.

nismoboy

nismoboy said:

I was thinking about fitting a whiteline arb but if this does what u say then i wont bother as its the front that keeps losing traction and raising it is just gonna make things worse.
:?: :?:

A

ard1ey

How do you mean losing traction, understeer or when launching? Sorry, I'm geting lost :oops:
If you uprate the rear bar to a stiffer one it'll help reduce understeer whatever, but you may end up with the back end stepping out if you go too hard.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
zia said:
have you removed the old bushes yet. did mine. what a cuntish job specially the middle one :lol:

zia
I've done em before on another car and never again. They had to be burnt out on that.

I need to do the whitleline castor bush which I'm sure will be a big too.

I've got my angle grinder at the ready to get the old one off :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
nismoboy said:

Check the link, its a good summary written by a wise man. It has good practical advice in it.

Happy to use my more limited knowledge to explain. Still haven't got round to buying his book...still reading Nissan's worshop manual :lol: