Standard brake replacements?

Not running modified nor am I likely to, I just want the best disks and pads that will fit all the standard fittings without major mod work. I do have 17s on it so I suppose I could go a touch larger, though I'm not particularly willing to do that if it requires a lot of extra work...

I've seen a few things mentioned a fair bit, but I'm a little unclear if they need a lot of work doing to fit them.

The car will be getting sorted by Bob (hopefully) so I plan to supply them and just have them fitted.

Unlikely to be tracking, so road use.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
EBC grooved discs (front) optional
Black Diamond grooved discs (rear) optional
Carbotech XP8 pads all round (front and rear)
(If cost is an issue then: Mintex 1155 all round)

I'd also recommended to add braided lines all round, to help with peddle feel and reduce that "spongy" feel when hot.
Brake Fluid: Super ATE Blue - good quality and well priced.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've only got standard callipers on mine, but with braided lines and a Steve Pudney brake master cylinder stopper. - I've got no idea what discs I've got at the front and back; they came from eBay, but I bought grooved to give the pad a bit more to bite in to.

I've got EBC yellowstuff pads at the front and whatever the EBC equivalent of standard material is at the back.
I don't have the ATE Blue fluid, but I did buy "performance" brake fluid and I often bleed some out of the callipers and top the system up with fresh (since that seems to help and prevent them sticking).

I don't think it would stand up to many hot laps with heaving braking, but it's never failed to stop me yet... although I did have a close call with some late braking on the Isle of Man when Jim out braked me in his M3 to take a turn and I almost read-ended him.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think it would stand up to many hot laps with heaving braking, but it's never failed to stop me yet... although I did have a close call with some late braking on the Isle of Man when Jim out braked me in his M3 to take a turn and I almost read-ended him.
It wasn't a heroic stop, I realised I was just about to miss my turn and slammed on at about 50mph. The pads on my M3 that year were normal street pads that were dangerous at speed over the IoM roads! It did highlight the difference between a street pad and a performance pad like yellow stuff. Street pads work with no heat where as George's pads fell asleep whilst we were just cruising. He stopped fine, it was just that I stopped a little faster and there was a moment in the middle where we thought he wasn't going to.

EBC grooved discs (front) optional
Black Diamond grooved discs (rear) optional
Carbotech XP8 pads all round (front and rear)
(If cost is an issue then: Mintex 1155 all round)

I'd also recommended to add braided lines all round, to help with peddle feel and reduce that "spongy" feel when hot.
Brake Fluid: Super ATE Blue - good quality and well priced.

In for a penny in for a pound...

Just one thing, those XP8 say they aren't recommended for road use due to the t noise and the dust. I'm not particularly bothered about dust, but squealing might annoy me. The ones one spot down from them appear to be more recommended. Any thoughts either way?

Good shout on the lines, will have them replaced. In fact lots of rubber stuff probably needs replacing...

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
You'll find most performance pads are not recommend as they don't always work from cold.

AX6 pads would be a good choice for road use, if you wanted better cold bite!

Speak to Ian @ Carbotech - 01768 885 000

They can supply you direct

http://www.carbotech-europe.com/

johnny gtir

I don't have a issue with cold bite on my xp8. They sqweel abit at when stopping and are abit harsh on the disc but so will any abrasive pad. All I know is the advantages out weigh the disadvantages in my opinion ten times over.

Goose_Oki

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I havent been able to find ANY better than stock rear disks without going up in size/calipers/etc. This just saved me.