Spaying??

A

alana

Been looking at Matts thread about painting his shell and wanted to know if it was feasible for an amateur to spray??
I've never had a go at sraying before but would like to get the hang of it as it's so bloody expensive.
I'm going to be getting my new shell shortly and wanted to know if it's worth me getting it done the expensive way or taking my time and having a go myself!

P

pulsarboby

spraying is the easy bit, its the prepping which is where the real art lies, if you skimp and fcuk that up then the whole job will look naff!

if you wanna learn how to spray a car il be doing one shortly, your more than welcome to come watch and i may let you do a flank.

if its pearlised paint or anything elaborate like that then thats a pro's job and out of my depth tbh, i wouldnt even dare to tackle it as paint aint cheap and its a lot of money if you fcuk it up!

A

alana

Bob i would realy like to come and watch, Let me know when your going to do it and i'll come up and see ya.

P

pulsarboby

will be sometime in the summer il probably prep it in the week and spray it on a saturday so il give you a holler when im about to do it, and as i say il let you have a go on the flanks;-)

saddler

pulsarboby said:
spraying is the easy bit, its the prepping which is where the real art lies, if you skimp and fcuk that up then the whole job will look naff!

if you wanna learn how to spray a car il be doing one shortly, your more than welcome to come watch and i may let you do a flank.

if its pearlised paint or anything elaborate like that then thats a pro's job and out of my depth tbh, i wouldnt even dare to tackle it as paint aint cheap and its a lot of money if you fcuk it up!
i agree with bob its all in the prep work...

P

pulsarboby

NU773R said:
bob wanna show me how to spray my bonnet and boot lol
just pop down on the same day and il show you:roll: im not doing it for you or il have every booger bringing there stuff down:doh:

gtirjoey

you will always find faults in amatuer spray job its hard enough to find a pro that will actually leave you with a factory finished look. i saw bobs last attempt of spraying and it was actually better than most so- called pro jobs! but a good job also takes time my sprayer spent 12 hours flattin my roof alone!

stedee

spraying is a piece of piss - preps the hard bit - you have to caress the body finding all the highs and lows it takes time for your fingers to get accustomed to the contours. - paints not that expensive really isnt it about 40 a litre and 2 should do a car.

Radleigh

I laugh at people saying spraying is easy, Its not for a first time user!

I've been a painter now for over 7 years....

P

pulsarboby

Radders said:
I laugh at people saying spraying is easy, Its not for a first time user!

I've been a painter now for over 7 years....

quite true radders!
its fairly easy to spray a car once all the prep work is done if you have had some experience, or it can end up a complete and utter disaster if you go at it like a bull in a china shop, as im sure you have seen on many occasions:lol:
but as you rightly say, theres a lot more to it than that, types of paint, matching, different spray techniques for different paints, blending in panels, mixing, etc etc etc!

im no sprayer although i started out in bodywork years ago, but its fairly easy to learn the basics to be able to do a good job.
i always flat panels down once ive sprayed them wheras a pro shouldnt have to (saving loads of wasted time) but im not good enough to get a mirror finished panel straight from a gun, neither do i have the right facilities, so thats how i find it best to do with my limited skills.

like anything in life really, its horses for courses, but long as you get by then it doesnt really matter

MORF114

1 year ago for 2 years i used to paint 20 cars a day one after the other and i have been painting since i was 14 learning on my old mans rally cars, painting to get a really good finish with no dirt inclusion in it is bloody hard to get a equal finish across the whole job you are spraying is bloody hard and takes years to achieve the results and to try different mixing ratios of hardners fast and slow and fast and slow reducers and pressures and gun set ups, people who say painting is easy cant paint they just think they can pre madonnas, it is definately 90% all in the prep we used to have 20 guys preping cars for me and 1 other fella all day and maybe 6 jobs of the day they would be in the booth fixing bits they didnt prep properly for me, im quite a perfectionist when i comes to painting there are some very good painters out there but if you have to polish a job after you painted it you cant paint for shit or your prepper cant prep for shit, conditions and prep work are key factors
We did have a million dollars worth of equiptment and booths to use.

I still cant understand why i left to work in the shithole i work in now!!

nex

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/index.html

might be of interest to some, jsut a link I found when i was thinking of doing my own arches and repainting my bumps, not a 100% guide but some good pointers which you'd prob only ever realise after its too late and you've butchered your paint job.

Queit a few articles on that site on how to get a goob finish even when your not a pro.