RPS Streetmax Clutch advice...

houghy_1

Hi,with my engine out and box now split ready to install my uprated clutch fork,which i bought off bob last year:oops:, i thought id check the clutch.
My mate(a mechanic) reckons its probs got 1 or maybe 2k miles left on it anybody care to give me a 2nd opinion???
Just thought im not putting it back together if i need to sort the clutch a few months down the line.
If it is near the end of its life what are my options?? Can i get a new friction plate or something or what are the other alternative clutches out there that work well with 300-350bhp and dont mind being launched evry now and then???

Old clutch fork

Thanks,Matt

MarkTurbo

If it was me I think I'd put a new plate in whilst its apart. A new Helix or Ap organic plate is just over £100 I think. Don't forget the release bearing too.

houghy_1

If it was me I think I'd put a new plate in whilst its apart. A new Helix or Ap organic plate is just over £100 I think. Don't forget the release bearing too.
Yeah i got a new release bearing
So which plate am i looking for exactly and wheres best?
I had a feeling you could buy another plate.

houghy_1

Ok thanks mark, any other ideas off peeps??
There is 1-1.2mm from friction material to the head of that rivet btw.

P

pulsarboby

i dont think thats an rps friction plate, the cover is rps but the plate doesnt look like one.
i agree with your mate, its got around 1500-2k miles left in it depending on how you drive the car

houghy_1

the clutch was bought brand new a few years ago now so i hope its an RPS one. Isnt there a replacement plate for it or will using the Helix/AP be good enough? @ mark: is that clutch plate good enough for 300bhp inc the odd 5k launch?

MarkTurbo

When i had the AP organic clutch in mine it was probably around 320-330 bhp and had a fair amount of 7000 rpm launches ;-)

Gaz gtiR

ive got an AP in mine & it was new before i bought the car. the car had been sat 3 month before i bought it & it slipped in 5th on the way home but not done it since?? but im still abit warey. id go for the helix plate as that seems to be every1s faverate for up to 400 bhp & can handle a few launches!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
ive got an AP in mine & it was new before i bought the car. the car had been sat 3 month before i bought it & it slipped in 5th on the way home but not done it since?? but im still abit warey. id go for the helix plate as that seems to be every1s faverate for up to 400 bhp & can handle a few launches!
It depends how new it was. New clutches can slip if the flywheel needed skimming and wasn't. They just need bedding in.

MarkTurbo

What sort of power is your car? I think the rating on the Ap is a bit on the conservative side as my car is probably near 400 now but I have changed the organic plate for a paddle to cope with the launches I do.

Gaz gtiR

its an AP 4 paddle. its not slipped since but if i slip it on perpose to get on boost quicker it slips for a bit.

but ive got a RB short ratio box in mine so weather that has anything to do with it i dont no?

its mapped at 300bhp

Last edited:

johnsy

i personally have nt had much look with organic plates although i aint tried the helix, I like how much abuse the paddle/puk style cluthes can take, then when its boogered get it re-cintered for about 90quid

johnsy

they rivet new friction plates on.........or summit like that

i was quoted about 87 quid to re do my rps puk,

houghy_1

So to johnsy and i think fast guy has an RPS clutch also what have you done to replace the plates,?? bearing in mind ive got the Max Street version and not the paddle version.

Ive seen the Helix plate Mark posted up and thats £150 delivered,i cant find a replacement AP plate though.

Whats the opinion on this exedy clutch??
Its fairly local to me.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from...=pulsar+gtir+clutch&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Im still waying up all my options

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm still on the standard RPS set up. (max street organic) Last time the box was off for the clutch fork, the clutch was hardly worn after 2 years of use. That's maybe only 7 or 8000miles in my case.

houghy_1

mines probably so worn because of running when the clutch fork was obviously on its way out. So its looking like im gettin the Helix organic plate then. thanks for the help guys. I wont be ordering till friday so any more ideas would be appreciated.