Re-conditioned distributor

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just spoke to a company in London who re-con the dizzy's crank angle sensor.

They reckon it will cost about £70 for a new sensor including fitting. They could send the part out for the same price but it looks fiddly and if they do it they give a 3 year warranty. No brainer really.

I need to confirm the part number of the sensor for our cars and then they can do others a lot more easily.

I spoke with Peter on 01708 223225, he said it was quite common for the sensor's to fail on cars our age... that's why he's in business :lol::lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I just had to completely dismantle my CAS to see which version I had so I've decided I may as well just get the bit I need and put it back together again myself.

For reference the part we need is an "RSB-07"

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the thought Kieron, that's really sweet ;-)

I actually did mean dismantle though, it took about 10 mins for me to take it apart and it will be about 5 to put it back together again. I guess that's why they would do it for free if I sent them the dizzy.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not sure Paul :oops: I was given the number and name through H+H ignitions who couldn't help. They are London based.

Regarding second hand sensors, this is my second, 2nd hand Dizzy. Both worked but when you look at the data logs its clear they were doing something funky to the engine management causing lean spots and knock. The PFC is more sensitive to failing electronics from my experience than a standard ECU.

youngsyp

campbellju said:
Not sure Paul :oops: I was given the number and name through H+H ignitions who couldn't help. They are London based.
No worries Jim, thanks for finding and sharing the info anyway !

Fusion Ed

I have my prototype DIS system working on my bench now. It reads pulsar crank angle signals and then distributes them in a wasted spark configuration. I hope to test it out later this week. Need to build it into something a bit more substantial first :)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not a happy bunny, I fitted the "new" unit taking my time to carfully clean everything and take photos for a writeup, install it and can't get the car to fire. Charge the battery, try again and no joy. Swap to Stumo's brand new dizzy from Nissan and the car works first time. Then proceed to swap a few parts betwen Stu's and mine to isolate the fault. I didn't want to go near the guts of the Stu's as he lent me it in good faith I won't break it so decided to swap back to my old sensor. My old CAS, (which I'd partly drilled to try and get out until I realised there was a different method) only took me 5 mins to swap back as I'm getting pretty profficent at it now.

Then car works first time again :?

My PFC proved to be sensitive to an average CAS signal. Well its deja vu time again, the symptoms were identical. I'm convinced the so called "new" unit is actually one off an old scrapper :evil: .

Just wasted 3 hours swapping parts around and I'm a bit p***ed. It now makes sense why the part looked a little dusty, I thought it had just been on a shelf or something :doh:

Has anyone heard of this company or dealt with them at all? I'm going to phone them tomorrow but its a bit wierd as he sounded alright on the phone.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'll see if I can dig one out, I found out about it from a mappers site.
There are two CAS signals, one for revs, one for timing. 99.99% of the time it gets them both correctly. Most of the time the problem manifests itself by a slight misfire, a sudden jump of load cell whilst the revs signal stays steady.

Very occasioanly I've seen the rev signal jump back a few cells and then carry on again.

As you can imagine neither of these things help. From other people's experiences with other cars, both symptoms are often connected with a failing CAS.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I said he sounded alright on the phone and I'm glad I waited to calm down a bit because both the people I spoke to today were great.

The units were ex-Nissan Stock that have never been used but aren't fresh off the production line. They are new though and not dragged out of a an old scrapper. I explained the problem that I thought the problem was partly an overly sensitive PFC, his solution was to send 3 out so I can try them all and see which one works best or have a full refund.

That's one of these :thumbsup:for customer service.