RB26 Swap

gti-rb26

updates coming soon.

Still at work, updates coming soon.

As you all may imagine, this project will take month to get finished. There is almost nothing that bolts just on, everything is custom made. There are alot of machined parts as well.

Heya Bob, thanks for technical support and all the needed information i was searching for. What to do without such a oracle ;)

Hope you will get the special parts available soon.

Greetz from A.

JIMMYBACK

:lol: thats more like Vpulsar aka Odin :lol:

Right back on topic keep us updated fella id love to see this working as ill probbo have a Spare GTR engine soon

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

haha there is a resemblance but my gutt needs a bit more of a workout with the pies before i reach that mighty status lol

bits on there way shortly jakob, il email you next week fella

jap-jet

very nice project bud, I looked and selling my engine setup 8 months ago and going with a tubbed rwd 2j setup for drag with a powerglide. But unfortunately I have already spent way too much on the car. And if I didnt buy a house the wife wouldve buried me in the car alive.
Keen to see some updates

dreadnought

fair play to you for even trying this, but where the feck is the steering rack going to go? the skyline box and bellhousing are large items and they sit exactly where the rack should be, cant see how you are going to get it to fit unless you "undersling" it, but then its going to be way to low.

gti-rb26

Updates

have not found time to update and come along with new images of the progress. It was taking alot of time to get so far, even if the progress reached not too far.

I have just been welding and grinding.

After cutting out the bulk head and making space for the lowered steering rack, i had to weld in the channels for the steering rack .

Then going to close the old steering rack vents.

MarkTurbo

Is that going to be strong enough? Thats a fairly large/rigid chunk of the chassis thats been cut away there!

Can't wait to see this thing finished though.

gti-rb26

Updates

At the same time i designed the base for the new engine mounts and the front frame extension / wishbone support.

and start the fully custom crossmember

No, it was`nt me who bend the 6mm sheet into that shape. It was a machine building shop nearby.

And another bit of welding

With the extensions.

gti-rb26

Updates

One of the last parts i finished are the engine supports.

left side

and right side

So it looks like when fitted.

Actually i am welding in the gearbox tunnel from the skyline.

P

pulsarboby

when youve finished it jacob il buy it from you, you know youll get bored and want a new project lol

warpspeed

I have the same concern as MarkTurbo, the area you have cut for the steering rack has been replaced with a single sheet of steel basically, I don't think there's anywhere near enough rigidity there now.
Aside from the safety issues there will be a lot of lateral flex from suspension loadings.

Great project though and I'm not trying to knock you, just offer some constructive criticism.

gti-rb26

I had the same thoughts when i cutted out the wishbone support. The closing of the cut out and the closing of the original steering rack vents is the upper part of the actual support. As you can see on top of the page, image nr. 3, i also put another frame inside the old vent.

The lower support is given through the crossmember extensions, which are two layer, so alltogether the design of the wishbone support is a close circle. I cross checked this with a designer in our company, according to him, it will be much stronger then the original because of the crossmember (which is`nt there originally).

There are still concerns, but not with the wishbone support. The bulkhead has his function against the torsion, that focuses my attention at the moment. It will be a challenge to get it strengthened again, the major problem there is the pedal systems which allowes very certain space to rainforce.