Raising the compression?

Keira

there are a few nissans that share the same code for the box/gearsets, the only difference appears to be,(obvioulsy) our final drive set up and casing.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Forgot to add, that was taken from the UK factory manual. So I can't guarantee it's 100% the same for the US cars or that the sensor will give the same output as the instruments need.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
According to the manual your numbers for the Gtir are correct, the SR20DE option is 45/34.
There is no 48/39 option in the uk manual for the B13/N14.

richardspeed

Hard to select gears when warm

Hi, just bought another Pulsar after afew years break.

The gearbox seemed ok at first but after about an hour of driving on the way home, the gears became hard to select.

I tried it this morning when cold and it was fine, but after 10 mins or so, the same problem ocurred.

I've done a search and have seen that it may be:
  • bad clutch fluid
  • damaged selector fork (would this be the gear selectors or the clutch release fork?)
  • warped clutch pressure plate.
Any other suggestions?

It's recently had a new clutch and the box has had work done on it recently too.

Another point worth mentioning is that there was gearbox oil on top of the box when I got home, but the box doesn't seem to leak onto the floor??

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
According to the manual your numbers for the Gtir are correct, the SR20DE option is 45/34.
There is no 48/39 option in the uk manual for the B13/N14.

How about the rally mission gearbox or what ever it's called, Doesn't that top out at around 150mph ?.

Rob

neil240z

are you sure its not fluid from the clutch slave cylinder? that sounds like its the problem, pulsarboby will have one at a good price, there very easy to fit, then just open the bleed nipple and pump the fluid through. job done.

Neil

richardspeed

It's transmission oil not hydraulic fluid.

I've looked up behind the clutch pedal and noticed that the pedal box has been welded and looks like it's flexing when the pedal is pressed. Gonna try fixing this for a starter and see if it cures the problem. THANKS. :thumbsup:

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
Do you mean the Nismo box? Mine's only 123, a few mph more with bigger tyres.

No a guy called phil something or other had a different box that topped out at 150 mph I believe, Thought it was a called rally mission box ?.

Rob

Keira

phil cavanagh ?

he had a nismo box allegedly did he not ?

tbh i'd just save up and buy an uprated gearset and cease concerning myself with nailing together anything raided from the nissan parts bin :lol:

O

Odin

Keira said:
phil cavanagh ?

And the prise for being a sad know it all goes to our very own sheman Keira :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

neil240z

you may find your bulkhead has split, i think this happened to gtirpulsar, it means removing the servo and welding. its a horrible job, i swapped a servo recently and had to drop the engine out to get it out, ive seen people post that you can do it with just taking the engine of its mount but i couldnt do it.

good luck.

also if your losing transmission fluid, check the levels in your gearbox and make sure that is not the reason for difficult gear selection when warm, its prob the clutch not pushing the fork far enough to disengage properly.

Last edited:

gtirx2

Keira said:
phil cavanagh ?

he had a nismo box allegedly did he not ?

tbh i'd just save up and buy an uprated gearset and cease concerning myself with nailing together anything raided from the nissan parts bin :lol:
I know what you saying as i may work towards a uprated gear set in time ;-) , but atm i have been collecting gearboxs/parts and glass bead shot peening/blasting them and have around 4 very good standard gearboxs to put together with new bearings and this one with the different 5th which is also very good.Plus a iffy one i picked up today that needs looking at:lol: So i may sell them at some point and get a quafie, depends what power i look for in the future as i may have a go at hill climbs and sprinting and don't think i will need much more than 350bhp to enjoy myself.
I am just intrested in what can be fitted in a gtir box ratio wise and what cars these bits come from,as i would not mind making myself a odd box if i have a try at hill climbs.
Even if i don't its still handy to know what other gearbox parts fit so i can keep a look out for them cheap:oops: :lol: .

Fastguy the teeth are definatly 48/39 so god knows what these gears come out of?Where did you find that info was it that nissan fast thing or the workshop manuel?
The only difference to this 5th is that the 5th gear has no cut outs in the top of the gear for the tangs on the reverse syncro cone bit to sit in,so i may have to get someone to cut some grooves in it for it to work.Or fined the original cone that came out of it:oops: :lol:
As for the nismo box i think that i may have one of these aswell as it has an uprated 3rd gear but you never no it may be a rb box as the ratios are pretty much the same?Plus i have never seen the insides of a rb box.
Heres the close ratio box gears i have http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=46
I just guessed it is a nismo box as its the same as the fella in thailand had and he thinks his is a nismo box and its the same as mine bar the nice center diff:sad: ,plus that nipple that put diesel in his r thought he had a nismo box aswell and he said that was very close also.
My one topped out at around 130ish so i am not sure?
The main pic is the bloke from thailands box.
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45309&highlight=nismo
Has anyone got a good site i can read to understand how to work out gear ratios/speeds etc?

P

pulsarboby

before you do anything else, try adjusting up the pedal, so you have more travel;-)
as someone else suggested, it may have been overfilled and blown out of breather pipe.
also check around dizzy to make sure its not engine oil dripping from oil seal onto the box!

B13GTiR

Understood, thanks again. If the speedo sensor is too far off, then I guess I'll be looking for one out of a GTiR gearbox so it will read correctly on the GTiR cluster!

Dave