Raising the compression?

antgtir

The torque damper would only add to the stiffening effects, however by all accounts the NISMO mounts are very stiff indeed and adding a damper to may be overkill.

If you can afford to do it id recommend definately the mounts.

Ant.

Trip

1&onlygti-r said:
Just been told that there is only 2 engine mounts availible just waiting to comfirm which ones they are then il start taking payments they will be £140 + p&p for both
Probably the missing one is the one which is available from powerflex.

J

jpward

Trip said:
Probably the missing one is the one which is available from powerflex.
Thats what i was thinking bout time Ash set up a grp buy for thoses wanting solid mounts cough cough! :lol:

L

L1000ny

engine transplant

hi all, i`m gonna be putting my ex pulsar engine into a different car and was just wondering if a primera gt gearbox would fit to convert it to front drive only. i doubt that it would but thought i`d check before i splashed out on a pulsar one.

cheers..andy:-D

P

pulsarboby

yep it does fit, i know 3 people now that have used gtir engine in primera, coz i sold them all the bits they needed lol

D

Diesel Fumes

Compression may be slightly low, is it a concern?

Had my #1 mechanic have a look at my R today after a few months of ownership. He did a compression test. He says the engine runs superb, and says the compression is fine. But I seem to think it isn't.

Cylinder 1,2 and 4 are all 105psi and Cylinder 3 is 100psi. Is this a concern? If so what would cause this? Is it bad enough to suggest an engine rebuild?

Rest of the car checked out though. He said I have a top-notch car with almost no problems. Only thing being a slight leak in a rear axle seal. No loss of fluid, just a small bit of greasey stuff. And a rad hose that had a leak. He replaced it for me.

Trip

Studlife said:
i believe compression should be up somewhere between 145-160
Thats what i believe too. Did your mechanic test it when engine was warm or cold, did he put some oil in the cylinder, did he open the throttle.

All these effect results of compression.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

Trip said:
did he put some oil in the cylinder

why would he do that when carrying out a compression check?
the only time you would do that is to determine whether rings or valves were losing compression! the oil would raise the comps to an acceptable level if the rings were shot.

those comps are very low whether engine is hot or cold, throttle open or closed.
you need to do cylinder leakage test to determine whether its head or ring related, but either way its not good!

L

L1000ny

sound, thats good to know mate. i might be in touch for some parts soon.:-D

cheers..andy

GTIR-LOZ

i was always led to beleive that as long as all the figures are roughly the same then its usually ok, it may just be a leaking head gasket/or bad compression tester

O

Odin

Also depends on what thickness or head gasket is being used, But a good healthy warm engine should see 150 psi - 160 psi across all four cylinders.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

yes it does but gtir sr20det engine will bolt up straight to primera fwd box, but i believe you have to use existing fly and clutch assembly

265bhp gtir

his compression tester could be faulty i tryed 2 snap-on 1s and both sed i was gettin 69psi on all 4 but the car ran fine i changed the valve in the compression tester and got 140 on all 4

neil240z

your probably gonna need some Toyo Proxie R888 or Yoko Advan A048s on the front of that car as there will be lots spinning going on!

D

Diesel Fumes

Engine was cold when he did the test. And I mean cold. It was below freezing the night before.

I have no idea about head gasket. Doesn't look like its leaking.