Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

Bad news I think, heard a rumour last night that The Welsh Sprint and Hillclimb Championship will be taking the 4 wheel drive cars out of the PRODUCTION class and putting us in our own class for next year.
Its all beacuse of some bad loosers with TVR's and Porsches complaining that we beat them last year. Sad little people have pockets bigger then they have driving tallent.
If I can aford it ill do the Midland hillclimb Championship as they run proper production classes and rules.
Feelling to say the least it bit angry today, will keep you all informed when I get more details.
Regards
Phil :(

bracpan

Well they did it, they have put the turbo 4 wheel drive cars in a class on out own in the WELSH HILLCLIMB & SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIP. But they have still left in the TVR's which are hardly production cars!! will now be very difficult to get points as there are so few of us.
So will probably go to the Midland Championship this year if I can get the desired funds together :(
Will also be looking for sponsership of some kind in the next few months so if anybody knows of a company/ business who would like to help please let me know. Getting things like entie fees, tyres and fuel to and from the races would be a great help. :D as this takes money away from me developing the car. :(

Happy New Year everybody, will keep you informed.

Phil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bracpan said:
What I do is simular to Fast Guy but I only blip the throttle around 4000rpm to 4500rpm then let the clutch in quick (but not side step) This has proved a great success (recording a 2.40 over the first 64ft in the poring rain).
I must have missed that one the first time round, I guess that's on a smooth surface?
When I went to Ekvington last September it was pouring with rain too. Allegedly I did a 1.6 60ft but I'm putting that down to a timing error, but I'm more tempted to believe the 1.7s/8s and 1.9s that I did. Give yourself a few more revs off the line :wink: It's costing you an extra 0.7sec to do 4ft :p

bracpan

Cheers Slim
Fast Guy, I was still on the standard clutch and box and was 4th quikest in the event, even an EVO 8 and a Scooby were only a tenth or so quicker so I know it was the start line that was slipery, as it was pi**ing it down actuall running water.
Look forward to seeing the times in the dry with a better clutch as not all tracks give us the 64ft times. ( I take it you ment 64 not 4 ft?)
But will also try more revs to
Cheers for the advice
Phil 8)

GTiRlover

Bracpan- when is your next event and where? I'd be well up for watching you spank some far more expensive machinary 8) :D

bracpan

Will be racing again in the Spring, still sorting out which championship to do yet, will keep you informed. Should to running on a bit more boost by then and hopefully a stronger clutch.

Thanks again.

Phil 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bracpan said:
Look forward to seeing the times in the dry with a better clutch as not all tracks give us the 64ft times. ( I take it you ment 64 not 4 ft?)
But will also try more revs too
Mine were all on the standard clutch too :wink:
No I meant 0.7s to do 4ft...... your 2.4secs to do 64ft - my 1.7 to do my 60 ft, :wink:

Anyway good luck :)

bracpan

Thanks Fast Guy I will have to put more trust in the normal clutch. I used to race special saloon mini's so not used to this much grip :) off the line.

Strange measurement 60ft as we use 64 ft as anything under 2 seconds in pulling 1G as its 32ft per second per second.

Cheers

Phil 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bracpan said:
Strange measurement 60ft as we use 64 ft as anything under 2 seconds in pulling 1G as its 32ft per second per second.
It's a standard drag racing measurement :)

bracpan

Are that explains it... we do the twisty stuff...but you think they would all standardise it wouldn't you?

Also we sometimes start on an uphill gradient so for us to get a proper reading a flat start line would be more reliable. Although a good start is important its not quiet as critical as a drag race as we have more time to make it up in the corners etc. But I do hope to learn a quicker technique from you drag boys. So any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

bracpan

Getting ready for another season. Will be hopefully having the boost turned up soon to 1 bar so that should hopefully make a difference on the power circuits and tracks. I have putt some money ready for the new clutch :( as it will probably give up the ghost with more power).
Then its saving my pennies for a new quaife box ready for even more power....never ends does it. :lol: Will also fit a new G/F tailgate later to save some more weight.
Will be in a new class this year as they have put the 4 wheel drive turbo cars on our own in the Welsh, so could be a quiet year, although I can still compare my car with more exotic machinary.
Will let you know when im out again.
Cheers
Phil . 8)

bracpan

Car back on the road tomorrow and next weekend going to have the boost turned up. Hope it makes a difference for the coming season. Not been able to make my own G/F tailgate yet will do that when I get time. Will fit the bigger rear discs by the first event and then we will see if I can get that dam EVO 8. Rumor is he is upgrading to but im not given up ill have the bugger one day. Got to have a goal and he is mine...
Keep you all informed
Phil

bracpan

All ready for the first event of the year on Saturday a sprint at Llandow. Gots my mods sorted so hoping the car will be quicker. Feels great so just pray I am not to rusty after the winter layoff. Then its Lys y Fran on Sunday for a Hillclimb. Will keep you all informed how it goes.
Cheers
Phil

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Excellent stuff Phil... Hope to catch up with you at some point this season...

Good luck with the EVO Slaying... 8)

Rishi

bracpan

The upgrade in power defiantly paid off. I had a first in class at Llandow on Saturday (beating 4 Subarus) and a third in Llys y fran on Sunday.

At Llandow I was over 1.3 second in the lead, every one of my timed runs would have won the class. Car was over a second quicker than its been there before, it was also a cold day and tyres are a bit worn now so very pleased with the result.

On Sunday I was struggling for grip as the track is bumpy and uneven and could not get into a rhythm, but saying that was over 2 seconds quicker than last year. If I had not fluffed the start on the final run I would have had second place as he was only 2 tenths in front of me.

The power and smoothness of the car is fantastic, I ran on normal boost on first practice then increase it on the next practise run and keep the high boost for the timed runs. You should have seen the others faces when I dropped 3 seconds in Llandow on my first timed run.

A very big thank you to Ian @ Hiteq for the tuning and look forward to when I can upgrade again.

Will also start work on others things now like lighting the car (and me) plus getting a better seating possition and altering the pedals for better heel and toe gear changes. Also have some bigger brakes for the rear to fit. Or yes and new tyres ....

Will keep you informed as the season goes on.

Phil