Racing the Pulsar

S

Stoned

Re: Speedy Starts

Sparra said:
I've recently brought a Pulsar and I'm going to race my mate in his RX7 down the quarter mile at Santa Pod. The start is going to be crucial as I think he'll do me further down the track.

Has anyone any advice on getting the best start from standstill?
Launch around 5500-6000rpm, dont get bogged down :)

S

Sparra

Sound, cheers. Looking forward to it. I'm just considering what to take out of the car and how much difference it makes. Likewise fuel.

S

Stoned

well i'd always run optimax myself. Take out the rear seats, spare wheel etc. Aircon too if you dont use it ;)

kyepan

Sparra said:
I've recently brought a Pulsar and I'm going to race my mate in his RX7 down the quarter mile at Santa Pod. The start is going to be crucial as I think he'll do me further down the track.

Has anyone any advice on getting the best start from standstill?
depends on how much you want to fork out on broken transmission components.. you would fall into one of two catagories.

a) I've got LOADS of money and really don't mind paying for new clutches and gearboxes..

bounce it off the limiter and sidestep the clutch

b)I like my healthy bank balance and don't want to fellate the bank manager for another loan.

Rev to 4k and feed the clutch in to keep it from bogging down.. take your time shifting. ... all of which will loose you potential time down the 1/4

S

Sparra

It's definately B! I'll reduce the weight as much as possible. Drive in the nuddy if I have to. Cheers.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

kyepan said:
a) I've got LOADS of money and really don't mind paying for new clutches and gearboxes..

Didn't work for me. Well, it wasn't quite the rev limiter, but I think I tried 7000rpm and bogged down.
Bounce it off 5500ish :wink: Don't just hold constant revs, blip the throttle repeatedly and you should build some boost. Let the clutch up fast (not side stepped) and floor the throttle together and you should fly. If you feed the clutch in, expect it to slip :?

kyepan

Fast Guy said:
kyepan said:

Didn't work for me. Well, it wasn't quite the rev limiter, but I think I tried 7000rpm and bogged down.
Bounce it off 5500ish :wink: Don't just hold constant revs, blip the throttle repeatedly and you should build some boost. Let the clutch up fast (not side stepped) and floor the throttle together and you should fly. If you feed the clutch in, expect it to slip :?
better detail from some one who knows.. listen to fast guy :wink:

bracpan

Oi whos been pinching my thread!! :D
To be honest its good to see others using the Pulsar in competition good luck to you all.
On the subject of launching I am still on the standard clutch and gearbox so had to develope a slightly more convervative style of getting of the line quick.
What I do is simular to Fast Guy but I only blip the throttle around 4000rpm to 4500rpm then let the clutch in quick (but not side step) This has proved a great success (recording a 2.40 over the first 64ft in the poring rain). Also so far so good with the clutch gearbox (fingers crossed as I write).
Also had results from the last meating and I did infact beat the Scooby by 8/100 of a second. :D So only have one other competiter to beat in the class this year, trouble is he is in a 340 EVO 8...Dam :cry: . But if you dont try you will never know. Was hoping to have a boost upgrade by then but it will have to wait until next year now. :(
One more event to go this year then start making plans for next season. Thanks again for alll your encouragment.
Cheers
Phil.

S

Sparra

Sorry bracpan, I'll play dumb as I'm a newby.

Thanks for the advice but the race with my mate will have to wait. His RX7 hs just been towed to Cheshire for a rebuild as there's major pressure problems cuasing different pipes to burst. Ooooh. He should have brought an R!

bracpan

Sad to say its all over for this year, was due to race on the weekend but it was called off due to lack of entries. Shame just fitted a lower brace bar and have some large discs for the rear. Car is handling so well now.
We might be able to run softer B1 tyres in next years championship so that should be an improvment especially if I can increase the power as planned.
Some people in the class are mourning about 4x4 cars as we are beating the TVR's and 911 etc,,,,,I said they should just learn to drive quicker...
Its nice when money cant get you speed. My car was only 5k (spent more since getting it ready for racing) dread to think what they have spent on theirs.
Thanks again for all your encouragment. will keep you up to date on the progress of the car.
Cheers
Phil.

K

KRS

:( Shame to hear that

Glad to see you are upsetting some of the more expensive motors,

Motorsport shouldnt be about who has the most money 8)

Good luck next year, keep those supercars owners wishing they had bought a 15 year old nissan :twisted:

S

samellio 1

nice one 8) shame the last race was called off :cry:
enjoying reading this thread -cheers :wink:
Sam

bracpan

Just heard that there might be a new M5 and an original M3 in the class next year. Hope I can get my upgrade by then. Really looking forward to competing with them.
I am very happy with the way it handles now, and if they let us run on softer tyres it should be amazing. Its more power I need now, without loosing and responce. So will be doing a 290 to 300 bhp 1 bar boost first then look at rebuild to 350 to 400 later on.
Also in the mean time a clutch and gearbox upgrade....
Any body now the lotery numbers for this weekend?
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

16 x 7 ins At the moment I am on Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres as we have to run on a class 1A road tyre, they have proved to be very good especially in the wet.
But next year we might be able to run on 1B tyres which could meen a swap over to Kumho's, Toyo's or Yoko,s still looking into that at the moment.
I found 16's are a good compromise they let be fit 310mm brakes and dont upset the gearing as much as 17's.
Hope this helps
Phil

GTiRlover

Yeah it does greatly mate :wink: Im in the process of getting some new wheels and was gonna get 17's now Im thinking otherwise. Even with a 205/40 tyre would the gearing be upset that much that it would be noticeable? I plan on getting as light a wheel as possible if thats helps...