Problem with car on full load

Dangerous Dave

One of mine never worked and i never had a problem like this,

Is it more of a stutter/miss? sounds the same as what happened to my evo wip your plugs out and see what the gap is should be 0.55 i think.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
One of mine never worked and i never had a problem like this,

Is it more of a stutter/miss? sounds the same as what happened to my evo wip your plugs out and see what the gap is should be 0.55 i think.
No. At that kind of gap you get ignition problems at about 5000rpm because the spark is too weak.

Try something like 0.7mm; I run 0.9mm now (in an effort to improve fuel efficiency), but I don't think you can go much bigger on a standard coil.

Dangerous Dave

No. At that kind of gap you get ignition problems at about 5000rpm because the spark is too weak.

Try something like 0.7mm; I run 0.9mm now (in an effort to improve fuel efficiency), but I don't think you can go much bigger on a standard coil.
No mate am srue its the other way round the bigger the gap the weaker the spark (further to travel) mine were at 0.70 way too big.

mine are now set at 0.55 and it runs a dream much better even up at high revs not a stutter or miss.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
On your EVO, not on a Pulsar? - I'm just going by what I was told last time mine was on the rolling road; the plug gap was too small (at 0.5mm), and making it bigger fixed the problem. Maybe I've gone too far the other way and missed the sweet spot?

Surely the larger the gap, the bigger the potential you need to jump it so it's a larger/more powerful spark.
If the gap is too large the spark can't jump and you get a missfire (especially under boost when the effective plug gap is much greater due to the compressed air-fuel mixture).

dreadnought

has this been resolved, my pulsar has exactly the same problem. will get out and check everything when the weather is good.

Sounds like a code 34 to me..........

Edit: sorry i only saw first page for some reason, bit late on this one lol

Last edited: