Pad replacement

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Quick question, do the rear pistons need to rotate when pushing them back to change pads? seen a few conflicting views.

Cheers,

Lee

johnsy

yup, need winding back in , pig of a job imo with out the correct tool, although iv never used said tool so don't know if its any easier! I used a pipe wrench with soft jaws

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's pretty easy with a piston rewinding tool. - Hard to get it started, but once it's moving it works pretty well.
I think mine is one of those "Laser" ones you get from Halfords etc, but I bought it on eBay for about £12 delivered.

If you pull the dust boot off, getting it back into the grooves is a bigger pain than winding the piston back.

PulsarLee

Thanks,Guys,

Is there a slot in the end of the piston? and do you have to rotate anti clockwise to retract the piston? was wondering if a large screw driver or similar, would work? i assume the piston will rotate and twist by itself as the pedal is pressed?

thanks,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's not a slot; it's four little recesses, and I'm pretty sure it's a clockwise thread. - A screw diver won't do it; needle nose pliers are the closest thing because you can put one tip in opposing recesses, but I doubt you'd get it started like that.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You must have had a stiff one.:shock: Piston that is.;-) Mine were reasonably free, just needed a firm hand and no real force.