OS twin plate slipping

ChrisS

Anyone running this set up had any problems with clutch slip at all, especially when hot? Just back from running at york and final 2 runs had slip in 3rd and 4th. Let it cool a bit before my last run and still slipped. Driving it home, full boost held with no problems at all. Gears seem to be going in just the same and pedel feels pretty much the same. Only slight thing and it could just be my imagination, pulling away in first the biting point feels a bit mushy if that makes sense, where as normally its a fairly sharp biting point on it. Any similar symtoms people have had or suggestions? As a side note i improved my 1/4 time and terminal from easter weekend, but was having a bit of trouble with wheel spin off the line.

Braveheart

You may have already checked and have in place but some things to consider:
1. Clutch fluid is old and has air in it which expands when hot. Replace clutch fluid.
2. Clutch pipe expanding. Fit breaded pipe.
3. More flex in bulkhead / peddle box when hot. Check peddle box and fit clutch support bracket.

ChrisS

You may have already checked and have in place but some things to consider:
1. Clutch fluid is old and has air in it which expands when hot. Replace clutch fluid.
2. Clutch pipe expanding. Fit breaded pipe.
3. More flex in bulkhead / peddle box when hot. Check peddle box and fit clutch support bracket.
I have braided hose and new slave seals fitted less than 800miles ago, although saying that the fluid is black again. Am going to bleed it through tommorow. No sign of any leaks on master cylinder, though no idea what condition seals are in.

Have a clutch support bracket fitted.

Clutch has done approx 5,000 miles.

Thor

Or you have to much tourqe! :)

may be the steel O-ring behind the springs on pressure plate is losen or any was broken there??

Last edited:

noriek2003

im with allen on this one, they dont take to kindly to being slipped and getting hot off the line, the plates will probably be bowl shaped, refresh kit required.

personally i wouldn't bother with the refresh kit and i'd get a s14 carbon twin plate...slip it all you want, never have the problem again.

GTiR-Aholic

I bought the OS Giken TwinPlate clutch... I too ended up having to buy the refresh kit.. drove all the way to lancashire to get it from the OS rep up there, cost me £580 and that's because it was cash price.. otherwise i think it was more like £620+VAT or something like that (their website prices are wrong, they weren't updated with new EXPENSIVE prices) but did show me the catalogue to prove the new retail cost..

my steel o-rings were bowl shaped, first clutch pad was also warped with some of the studs braking off.. got everything replaced except the flywheel lol.

P

pulsarboby

personally i wouldn't bother with the refresh kit and i'd get a s14 carbon twin plate...slip it all you want, never have the problem again.

where do you get these from k?
just fitted my quaife back in but noticed the plates on my giken are on the thin side so there days are numbered.
btw problem with my box wasnt the selector as i thought, took it apart and cant see a damn thing wrong with it, put it back together again and the bloody thing now goes into gear, bit worrying really:lol::?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Chris, try having a word with R-type. I think he had some problems with his (or old age maybe messing with my brain and it was something else) although I can't remember if his was a single plate or not or even an OS.:frusty::oops:
I could definately hear it slipping from the stand.:sad:

ChrisS

Chris, try having a word with R-type. I think he had some problems with his (or old age maybe messing with my brain and it was something else) although I can't remember if his was a single plate or not or even an OS.:frusty::oops:
I could definately hear it slipping from the stand.:sad:
Was exactly the same as the prvious run. Soggys clutch hose was leaking at the time it was slipping he rekons. That was a OS super single though.

If the plates had warped would it not slip all the time though? Held boost right the way through the gears on the way home with no slip at all. Still selects absolutly fine, only thing is the slightly mushy biting point feel.

Surely 10 launches and 5000 miles cant be too much to expect off an OS twin? :(

Last edited:

ChrisS

I bought the OS Giken TwinPlate clutch... I too ended up having to buy the refresh kit.. drove all the way to lancashire to get it from the OS rep up there, cost me £580 and that's because it was cash price.. otherwise i think it was more like £620+VAT or something like that (their website prices are wrong, they weren't updated with new EXPENSIVE prices) but did show me the catalogue to prove the new retail cost..

my steel o-rings were bowl shaped, first clutch pad was also warped with some of the studs braking off.. got everything replaced except the flywheel lol.
what sort of miles/abuse had you given it before it went? And what symtoms were you getting/how was it driving in general?

noriek2003

pulsarboby said:
where do you get these from k?
even with the schit pound japanland or america, i got quoted something like £3k off some idiot over here for a clutch that would've cost me £1500 from the states :roll:

you could always try superclutch over here, but as far as im aware they dont do carbons, the good thing with the carbons is they get better the hotter they get..lol no slippage.

put it back together again and the bloody thing now goes into gear, bit worrying really:lol::?
fairies fixed it :lol:

ChrisS

well, just been out again and no sign of any slip at all. Only thing i did notice is the biting point seems quite high. Cant remember if its always been like that or not though. Dont tend to take thatmuch notice driving about normally.

GTiR-Aholic

I didn't launch it to be honest, had it in the car for a month or so.. but when I bought it, it looked "okay".. had to change release bearing cos that was shot and the splines were engraved but I didn't think it would be an issue.. symptoms were when I did race off the line (3 or 4 times), it wouldn't find 3rd gear.. and then eventually harder to find 2nd gear off the line.. then on the motorways i noticed on boost it wouldn't move.. until i let off the throttle n press it again .. kept slippin..

Then got involved in a road rage, group of 5-6 drunks chased me in a new focus st.. for about a mile.. hit the side of ma car n were tryna drive me off the road n shootin pellets.. i proper floored it that day, stupid menouvers and everything.. then all of a sudden the car was jammed in 2nd gear so i called the police n all got sorted.. took the box off to recon it and saw the clutch was in a state. :(

It's practically brand new now so will look after it in ma new R :)

ChrisS

Hmmm. Ive no gear selection problems, drives really well. Bled fluid today and had a poke around everything. All seems fine. Will see how things go

GTiR-Aholic

Yeah my gear selection was just the box breaking up inside.. had to change the bearings and all.
See how you go but if you do take the clutch out, check to see whether the plates are warped because when I was at the OS Giken place in lancs, they told me that although these clutches are real tough.. they don't take kindly to launching and once the plates/discs inside are warped, you'll get frequent slip.

ChrisS

Yeah my gear selection was just the box breaking up inside.. had to change the bearings and all.
See how you go but if you do take the clutch out, check to see whether the plates are warped because when I was at the OS Giken place in lancs, they told me that although these clutches are real tough.. they don't take kindly to launching and once the plates/discs inside are warped, you'll get frequent slip.
Will do. Clutch still feels nice and smooth, so id have thiought with any sort of warping it would have become snatchy and have some vibrations.

Good pic that carl. My taped onto strut brace camcorder in car worked. Its been great to listen to the slipping !!!!