Oil in Exhaust

PulsarLee

Thanks Bob,

Couple of silly questions...:der:

Would Ineednew headbolts?
1. Do I have to remove the exhaust manifold or can I leave it attached to the head and just disconnect the turbo from the front pipe and lift it off with the head?

2. Same as above with the inlet side / throttle bodies etc .

3. how can you tell if the head needs to be skimmed and should a standard nissan HG be the correct thickness etc.

Thanks

Lee

P

pulsarboby

remove the ex manifold with tubby, basically the more you remove whilst the head is in place the easier the job will be.

with regard to the inlet manifold.....well i remove that with the head as i cant get my hands down the back to easily but the lads find it easier to remove it first then lift the head off so its a case of what you find easier!

once you have the head off you would be best off to take it to an engineer who has a proper flat rule to test it for warpage and also leak test it.
with regard to the block itself....if you have access to a flat rule then put it across the face of block from corner to corner then either shine a torch behind it to see if you can see any light shining through or use a feeler blade to ascertain any warpage, a little you will get away with if using a stock gasket!

and yes the nissan h/g is 1.4mm uncompressed but compressed will be 1.2mm so is perfectly fine to use.
if the engine is stock and not been messed with then just reuse the old head bolts, theyll be fine!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trip

When i did mine, I removed the inlet manifold complete with plenum cover, and injectors in place. It was easier for me to remove inlet before the head. But there again, the back side of my inlet went on a strict diet. Don't forget the 4 little bolts between head and block. If i remember correct, there is one next the oil saperator, one next to coolant exit and two next to engine mount.

Before removing cam's, You should find markings on the chain, Align these with cam sprocket marking and lock at TDC. Make sure you do not let the chain to fall down the block. When removing head, do not turn upside down until you mark position, label and remove the shims (or whatever they are called).

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,

I hope to start this weekend. Bob, ill give you a call or several, lol looking forward tbh....

cheers,

Lee

PulsarLee

hi guys,

any tips on removing the exhaust manifold? obvioulsy taking care not to shear, also when off, do i just leave the turbo in position with the exhaust manifold connected?

thanks,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

turbo will come off with manifold lee
one of the bolts (bottom middle) is a bit of a mare to get at but once you have a spanner firmly on it you can use something to lever it as you wont get your hands in there to get pressure on it.

check the play in turbo too whilst its off.
youll probably notice a very wet oily port on the head of the dodgy cylinder

PulsarLee

thanks Bob

apart from the low compression on the one cylinder there has been allot of oil fed through the rocker breather into the turbo due to the big pressure in the rocker- im suprised it still ran.
after exhaust mani off, what would you remove next?

thanks,

Lee

PulsarLee

Hello Bob,

You wernt joking about the bottom middle nut....:x anyway, bruised hands later ive managed to get all the nuts off. rad and induction pipes off too. Which turbo flange should i remove next so i can lift it all clear? Any pics?
Also, what is the item best to remove next- all tips much appreciated:thumbsup:

Thanks

Lee

PulsarLee

Hiya could anyone give me any tips about the removal of the timing chain as ive moved the turbo and exhaust mani now guess im ready for the belts and chain / rocker.

thanks,

Lee

Trip

No need to remove the timing chain, Just make sure you tie a string on to it not to fall down the block.

PulsarLee

Thanks trip,

could you let me have any tips on how to make sure that the cam timing is not lost as i need to turn the crank once the head is removed to potentially remove number 4 piston.

Cheers,

Lee

Trip

Ohh.. Never done such a job myself, i am assuming you can turn the crank to replace piston and turn back to its original place when finished :).. While you turn crank without head, hold the chain slighty tensioned upwards (removing the slack).

PulsarLee

Thanks Trip,

My car still has the Y bracket in place on the back of the engine, im hoping that i can leave the inlet manifold on with the plenum etc and remove these with the head. However, i guess ill need to remove the Y bracket either all together or from the top or bottom? any tips available guys?

thanks,

Lee

whytie

When all the bolts are out you kind of turn it on its side and it will come out the passenger side

PulsarLee

Hiya Guys,

Ok, Y bracket out, exhaust n tubby off auxiliries off or out the way, rocker cover off. do i now rotate the crank until it is at TDC? This is the bit where im a bit unsure. :? please could you clarify what i need to do next......... sorry im a bit thick here. Also, please advise when I need to tie the timing chain up and do i need to adjust anything i,e tensioner before i start to remove the cams.

I think tripp posted a link showing the cam removal sequence?

Thanks again guys

Lee