Oil in Exhaust

P

pulsarboby

you is a lucky man lee.
buy yourself a cylinder honer and hone that particular cylinder lightly before fitting another piston.
luckily for you its a cheap getout

PulsarLee

you is a lucky man lee.
buy yourself a cylinder honer and hone that particular cylinder lightly before fitting another piston.
luckily for you its a cheap getout
Hiya,

Does anyone have new stand rings to sell (for 1 piston only inc wiper) as Nissan only do full sets.......... dont fancy having the 3 remaining sets of rings sat on the shelf as I dont need these.

Thanks,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

if your gonna put new rings on the one piston then you just aswell do the 4 and hone out all the cylinders, think there only a oner for the set
youll be lucky to find someone whos got new rings for just one piston

PulsarLee

if your gonna put new rings on the one piston then you just aswell do the 4 and hone out all the cylinders, think there only a oner for the set
youll be lucky to find someone whos got new rings for just one piston
Hey Bob.

Wha hoping that you might have some new std rings Bob...........;)).............

If not, If you could send me the good S/H one ....... ill post you the cheque tonight.

Managed to get all of the shims back btw.......... but not in order..... my fault for not removing.

I have accurately measured all today and found that there is a maximum variation in length of 0.004" (0.1mm)

Although not ideal i know, surely this wont make any difference to the noise / running?

Cheers

Lee

Trip

Managed to get all of the shims back btw.......... but not in order..... my fault for not removing.

I have accurately measured all today and found that there is a maximum variation in length of 0.004" (0.1mm)

Although not ideal i know, surely this wont make any difference to the noise / running?

Cheers

Lee
they should all sit around the 0.1mm mark with tolerance of 0.05mm. Iv'e done mine last week and it's a very long process to do

P

pulsarboby

cheque arrived lee, il get that piston posted out to you tomorrow.

havent got any odd rings sorry lee, we use the complete sets when doing rebuilds

as ev said above with regard to shims.....if yours are within 0.04 of 0.10mm then youll be fine with that

PulsarLee

cheque arrived lee, il get that piston posted out to you tomorrow.

havent got any odd rings sorry lee, we use the complete sets when doing rebuilds

as ev said above with regard to shims.....if yours are within 0.04 of 0.10mm then youll be fine with that
Thanks Bob,

Thats good news as you could probably tell, i was distraught at the prospect that sheffield engine services had lost all the shims but shall think myself lucky. was looking at my broken piston tonight, the second compression ring is in bits with the ringlands melted etc, but the top compression ring is still intact but does not appear to have any gap at all. was wondering if this has been caused by the broken ringland / heat or if someone has just used the wrong sized ring to start with causing the problem.......hmmmm
what should the gap on the rings be once fitted onto the piston in their free state?

Cheers,

Lee

PulsarLee

Thanks Bob,

Thats good news as you could probably tell, i was distraught at the prospect that sheffield engine services had lost all the shims but shall think myself lucky. was looking at my broken piston tonight, the second compression ring is in bits with the ringlands melted etc, but the top compression ring is still intact but does not appear to have any gap at all. was wondering if this has been caused by the broken ringland / heat or if someone has just used the wrong sized ring to start with causing the problem.......hmmmm
what should the gap on the rings be once fitted onto the piston in their free state?

Cheers,

Lee
Hiya,
was wondering if anyone knows what the ring end gap should be on a std 86mm piston before and after installation - see above........ Also is there a how to guide in here on how to install a new piston including,the position of the ring gaps including the wiper rings too...

thanks

Lee

P

pulsarboby

if your gonna use the secondhand piston with rings then theres no need to check endgap as the bores are stock from the factory.

you dont check endgaps on the piston as the gaps will close up completely if you press the rings together (thats why there is a bore to piston clearance as the rings are not fully compressed.
end gaps are adjusted by removing the top two compression rings from piston and placing squarely in the cylinder then measuring the gap between the two ends which as a rule of thumb should be around 0.35mm but different manufacturers have slightly different gaps, it also depends on the vehicle usage, ie if its purely a track car then the gap needs to be slightly larger than that of a road car as theres more heat involved which will mean greater ring expansion.

just lightly hone the cylinder and drop the piston in the hole lol (being carefull not to break the thin oil control rings)........youll be fine as long as theres no scoring or excess ovality on that cylinder

PulsarLee

Cheers Bob,

Cant wait for the piston to arrive and getting it all back together. Hows the rally car coming along?....cant wait to see / hear it around Cadwell!

Thanks,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

you should have the piston by tomorrow lee it was collected yesterday.

rally cars coming on fine n dandy.
got a guy coming down saturday to do all our new graphics (looks the nuts)
had a few teething probs on the dyno when ed was mapping her but i think ive sorted them now so will run it back to eds to get max power from her as he could only take the map so far due to a high rev misfire.
then cars off to graham hathaway racing to be corner weighted (hope hes got enough bags of cement lol) and for suspension to be set up correctly for my idiotic shite style of driving
really cant wait till end of april when me and johnsy will be at cadwell that will be cars first full runout : )

PulsarLee

Hi guys,

re valve shims, (8 castleated and 8 plain) could someone please advise which shims go on which valves as i foolishly didnt take them off in sequence.

Cheers,

Lee