Odd clutch pedal behaviour

Tim

Hi,

My clutch pedal seems to have variable play in it. Sometimes it is fine, and others it's as if it has air in it and will sink a little before i get any real pressure from the hydraulic system.

I can't seem to find any leaks, i seem to be able to replicate the problem by pushing the pedal slightly to the left and pressing down on it. When i do this, the rod still moves into the master cylinder but there isn't any force behind it.

I was going to ovhaul the entire clutch hydraulic system, but before i do this, has anyone seen this condition before, and if so, what did you do to resolve it.

Also, if anyone can give me an troubleshooting advice on clutch related problems that would be great.

Thanks

Tim

jjs

may be movement on the bracket its self, it is a common problem for the clutch pedal box under the dash to either split, or flex, (do you have a cluch pedal support bracket fitted,) ? or sometimes the spotwelds on the bulkhead break, may be worth a look, or may just be the master or slave cylinder, some times iy you pop the rubber dust seals back on the cylinders you will find brakfluid if the hydraulic seals are on there wat out , Jim.

Tim

I'm going to take the clocks out tonight and see if i can see anything from behind there, if i can't then it looks like the dash is coming out and being flocked sooner than i anticipated!

Godzilla

should be able to see straight saway if its gone were mine went from the clocks area, might also be the spot welds though witch i think u have to take the wiper cowling off to get at,

Tim

I've not had much chance to play with it tonight, i quickly checked for play on the clutch fork but it seems solid enough.

Using the clutch fork i can quite easily push the piston back into the slave cylinder, when i do this, it gives me the exact symptoms i tried to describe in the opening post. Is that normal?

P

pulsarboby

i would say its air in the system tbh.
are you losing any fluid?
try bleeding it and completely renew the fluid if you still have trouble after that but fluid level isnt dropping then i would say its more than likely the clutch master cylinder itself which is causing the prob!
its one of those things thats a process of elimination but thats where i would look first.

Tim

I've marked the master cylinder where the fluid level is, and it hasn't gone down with me playing around with it.

I've renewed the fluid and then bled the system a number of times and it hasn't made much of a difference, I think i'm going to remove both cylinders, inspect and replace if necessary, and also invest in a braided clutch line and get all this put to bed.

Cheers for the input so far, i'll be back with photos of the cylinders for more help no doubt :D

DannyGTI-R

I had the same problem a few years back, after replacing the master cylinder and still the same problem....... finally the clutch hose popped. It was sucking in air some how. Fitted a braided line and job done. So I would fit the braided line first just in case. It may save you the job of changing the master cylinder.

Tim

Just got both the slave and clutch line off and they seem ok, going to get a rebuild kit for the slave and a braided line to replace the rubber hose as a precaution..

Next job is to remove the master cylinder, will be attemping this on Thursday evening and all day Friday .. should give me enough time to graze some knuckles.