LAtest Problem - overheated - water in cylinders...

Fazz

Odin said:
What post you on about fella ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You're the one on drugs matey ;-)

Rob
Bit of clever deleting there ya sneaky one!

Some of us are too fast.... (shame about our cars :doh: :lol: :thumbsup: )

J

jpward

Fazz said:
That second post a bit crazy there Robbie !

Have you been drinking???

@boby - I take your point, I've crunched the numbers and I'm not repairing it.
It'd be another 1.5-2k by time on road (rad, stat, water pump, recovery/transport, head, gasket, skimmed etc) and I'm not doing it. Even if I repaired it it would be to sell on and they are hard to sell over here at moment. Hell they're worth fook all over there too!
The block could even have problems but won't know till stripped.

I've done a rough list of what I know will sell and what may be hard, there's also a few round here that are in process of modding so may take a few bits at once.
Haven't even included body or panels as they'll just be pot luck.

Decision is made.
I think its a shame to leave the Pulsar ways but I also know what it is like to try and keep one of these bitches on the road Fazz don’t make a final decision until the heads off and you know for certain if it will need machining work then if it is more costly to repair in the long term just go ahead and break her thou if you could leave this for like 6 months whilst making absolutely sure you wish to break I should be in a better position to help with your parts disposal :p

Edit cos Robbie thinks he got away with making a boob but he was well cought :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

well good luck to you fazz with it.

but i think your a bit over the top their with your pricing.
im doing a head on kengtirs car at the moment, its fcuked big time along with his timing chain and cams and sprockets (bent)
im supplying him with another head and hes bought a new chain!
the whole job will be around £800 including the price of the head and oils and picking his car up on low loader and labour on the job.

if you replaced the head yourself, then it will cost you no more than £300 in parts.
the block will 99% be fine, it may just be the gasket blown between waterway and cylinder,
in which case it wont even cost you that amount!
but if youve made your mind up then good luck anyway!

Fazz

Thanks for trying Bob but here's how it stands.

Recovery - 100 miles, minimum 150
Head Gasket - 200
Head will need to be leak tested and if fine prob still skimmed - 200 at least
Rad - no point gettin standard - 300 min.
thermostat - 50
water pump - 150 at least
labour - prob 300 ish.

Thats at least 1.3k, (Euros), labour probably more, same with recovery, plus oils, tax for another 3 months of 350, easily gonna be 2k by time back on road.
And thats best case. if head is worse, or block is screwed then more.

and I didn't even mention the fact it would need another remap.... :)

P

pulsarboby

nope:lol:

recovery! join the aa or similar (only just gone bang;-) ) £65
cometic head gasket £65 delivered ericsperformance parts
head from me £200 delivered (if needed)
thermostat £10 new
waterpump £33 new
rad £150 new......... that totals just over £500 if you do the job yourself, and whether you break it or keep it you will still have to get it recovered!

oils etc are just servicable items that you will need to buy for any car you own, so you cant count them

J

jpward

Fazz said:
Thanks for trying Bob but here's how it stands.

Head Gasket - 200
Head will need to be leak tested and if fine prob still skimmed - 200 at least
Rad - no point gettin standard - 300 min.
thermostat - 50
water pump - 150 at least
labour - prob 300 ish.

Thats at least 1.3k, (Euros), labour probably more, same with recovery, plus oils, tax for another 3 months of 350, easily gonna be 2k by time back on road.
And thats best case. if head is worse, or block is screwed then more.

and I didn't even mention the fact it would need another remap.... :)

......... For everything else theres Mastercard :lol:

53mm Koyo £220 delivered ;-)
$60 water pump
$110 Cometic }from Eric thou i got good discount as got other bits

If your just going to sell it then just rip the thermo out :twisted:

Recovery wise were is it my old man might be down that way or know someone who could shift it cheap ;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to hear this Fazz and I can't blame anyone for losing their patience.

I was thinking of binning mine when it went wrong recently, I realised that to strip it wouldn't happen immediately either and I would still need to drop the engine. I got loads of help from all the warm hearted members in the NW to help dropping/breaking the engine as I couldn't be bothered looking at the car on my own.

I won't knock anyone who as owned the car for a while poured in their time and money and want's to get out as situations change. I would say it will be less hassle to fix it than break it in your situation as you would be hugely unlucky if the bottom end has a problem.

Cost to fix the problem:

Pick up - Even my wife has got used to towing my sh***er around the NW but JP's Dad might offer - Maybe cost you some beer
Head gasket - I've got a standard Nissan gasket, good for 400hp, will be fine for your car and more forgiving to slight warps in head - free (not even delivery)
Radiator - I'm still on a standard radiator that is 7 years old looks rubbish but has survived track days with no issues. I've seen non standard skinny rads installed on our cars causing problems but if yours is standard it should be fine. Leave it or replace with a second hand unit £50 if needed
Water pump $60 JP contact
Thermostat - £10 from your local motor factors or less from Bobby
Head - You could get a known second hand head for £200 if you're worried. If your HG has failed though then that will be a more likely culprit.

Its a pity you can't do it yourself or know someone who could help you as it will only take a day to get the car running again with the bits available and those will be less than £100 assuming your head is alright. If you lived in the NW we'd have you up and running again in a weekend

Stripping the car will cost you less but it will take a long time to physically do and will be more hassle than fixing the blooming thing. Once its fixed, sell it if you want but at least you are leaving R ownership on a high and with only one thing to sell.

Last edited:

youngsyp

As above mate, it won't cost you as much tho fix as you think. Just to add to the other guy's parts prices:

Water pump from a decent motor factors for £45 (If it's a Blueprint item, it's a Nissan part, with the Nissan logo removed !)
Double thickness, stock fitting, copper cored rad from Absolute Radiator for around £110 delivered, if you did want to uprate it.

Put it back together mate and then decide what you wanna do.

Fazz

Well thanks for the kind words and views/solutions.

I'll have another think.

Also I'm on a 1.8mm gasket so only way I wouldn't need a remap is if i get same on. I'd need a remap if head skimmed or if I changed size of gasket wouldn't I?

Not convinced but you've forced me to have a re-check and maybe confirm prices for definite.

I think chances are at least that the head would be warped. Tends to be pricey round this neck of the woods...

J

jpward

Fazz said:
Well thanks for the kind words and views/solutions.

I'll have another think.

Also I'm on a 1.8mm gasket so only way I wouldn't need a remap is if i get same on. I'd need a remap if head skimmed or if I changed size of gasket wouldn't I?

Not convinced but you've forced me to have a re-check and maybe confirm prices for definite.

I think chances are at least that the head would be warped. Tends to be pricey round this neck of the woods...
Your cam timing changes slightly as the tought side of the chain would lose a few mill do you have adjustable sprokets?

P

pulsarboby

if its just a warped head fazz it will cost you around £40-60
but as jim said it may not be warped or cracked, you will see when head is removed!
and as i said earlier, join the aa or similar then thats that prob solved getting it back.

and you shouldnt need a remap with a 1.2 gasket but if it worries you then just order a thicker one, they have a choice of sizes there.

any other bits you need i will do you at a reduced rate so you can get it running again and make up your mind then if you wanna flog it or not;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fazz said:
I hadn't realised you could get a gasket that thick. Maybe its the problem as its not sealed well?

If you're worried get your advance checked before you remove the head and repeat for after. Retard ignition 2 degress, job done. Alternativley, assuming you've got a commander with your PFC, I can tell you what to check to confirm the knock level is okay.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fazz said:
And you can ignore that cost unless you are going to start breaking it at the side of the road. Surely you have to recover the car no matter what ;-) :lol:

If you want to hear about recovery costs, speak to bobby :shock: :doh:

stumo

If you haven't got the big Y bracket on the back of your engine then doing a head gasket in situ isn't that difficult.

Like Jim said, you could have the head off at the weekend, get it pressure tested and checked for warp etc during the week and have the head back on the weekend after.

If you've got a 1.8 gasket on now, replace it with the same (i assume that's for the lower octane fuel you guys have), don't go for HKS etc, get a Cometic from Erics performance in the states.

If the head has to be skimmed then unless lots has to be taken off the cam timing will only change slightly, if you're that bothered then adjustable sprockets will sort that problem (there's been some on epay for £85 /pair recently....normal SR20 ones fit)

the only thing i will say is find out why the gasket went in the first place....or you might be doing it again soon

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
i told fazz i have a head thats p+p and gas flowed and its skimmed and he can have it 4 fook all 8) 8) 8) oh and i have the aa :doh: so theres a big saving :thumbsup:well ian what do u think of that :-D :-D

P

pulsarboby

hes got no excuse now but to fix what hes damaged:lol: :lol: :lol:
if he breaks it and dissapears from the forum then what irish laddies are left for us to poke fun at!!!
well only have jp and he dont really bite that much:sad:

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
:whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: :yield: :yield: :yield: :fu2: :fu2: :der:
pulsarboby said:
hes got no excuse now but to fix what hes damaged:lol: :lol: :lol:
if he breaks it and dissapears from the forum then what irish laddies are left for us to poke fun at!!!
well only have jp and he dont really bite that much:sad:

Fazz

Jees can't a man curl up in a corner and cry to himself?? :shock: :lol:

How hard is it to take off the head?

Thanks for the comments. I'll have a chat with myself and see.

To answer a couple questions :

1.8mm gasket used mainly as better for boost I heard, and I know a couple running 2.0mm's without problems.

managed to get car home on mates trailer as once off favour - unlikely a spin to dub is option and certainly it'd have to be paid for hence why i say 150 anyway. (120miles)

Yes I have Hand commander with the PFC

@hotsnot - thanks again and nice offer, I;'ll buzz ya later and see

At end of day, I could fix it after the 1-2k cost, but if still sellin it'd only fetch 6-7k tops. Euros.

I'll do up my list and see if its worth it when revised figures to hand.

Cheers guys.