LAtest Problem - overheated - water in cylinders...

Fazz

:doh:

Ok, uprated Radiator and thermostat been on agenda for a little but not done.

Driving home on friday car temp suddenly shoots up. look at commander and see temps of hi 90's... pull in and let cool down. water had boiled out the expansion bottle.
Suspect sticking thermostat or something so refill with water and continue on keeping eye on gauges as always.
No problem for next 20 miles and destination reached.
Up sat morning, top up with water - circa 500ml.
drive for 15mins and overheats. again let cool and top up, drives for 5 mins and overheats and as I pulling in lets out cloud of smoke.

let cool down, pull out plugs and crank over. water shoots up from 2 cylinders anyway...

crank for a bit hoping to get rid of water and get going but plugs probably soaked so no joy. Recovery home then.

Now then, pop quiz.

IS it:

A - thermostat
B -- Radiator
C - Water Pump
D - Other?

Also, the fact that water got into cylinders, has my steel head gasket - Tomei 1.8mm packed in?
Been advised the SR's are known to drop a liner which would have cause this and the head gasket is unlikely to be problem.
Anyone explain this as I've no idea what a liner is or how it would affect...

Anothe repair Job.

Looking like fixing, uprating rad etc and then just flogging it.
Enough is enough.

Worst thing of all, I'm now out for racing at Japfest and my track time and drag sprints are over.

Doh!!! :doh:

Dooie Pop Pop

Fazz said:
and as I pulling in lets out cloud of smoke.
if thats from the exhaust then i hate to say it and i hope im a wrong mongy again but that sounds like the head gasket has gone:(

that might just be a symptom of another problem though so id definately check the other options too lol;)

Last edited:

Fazz

it was from exhaust yes.

to be honest at moment I'm thinking the head gasket failure could be the easiest solution.
Not sure as bores are being mentioned and I'm thinking block failure a possibility. that would be burning time !!

Fusion Ed

I suspect the engine has over heated and warped causing the head gasket to fail. Most likely engine out, with both decks requiring skimming and a rebuild if anything else was damaged. (worse case scenario)

J

jpward

Ahhh Bummer again Fazz

Sounds like head gasket failure alright with cloud of smoke (I assume white) and water in cyclinders happening!

You did replace the water pump in the rebuild did'nt you?

Let us pray it is just the gasket and not the casing/liner in anyway :pray:

Let us know if you find the problem.

P

pulsarboby

yep will be your headgasket blown. you need to remove head and take it in to be leak tested for cracks!
hopefully its just the gasket gone, but you may have possibly cracked the head or at least warped it, you wont know till youve ripped it off and had it checked over fully!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I would say change the water pump for the sake of it if you end up doing the head gasket.

Fazz

I've got a better idea.
I'm gonna break the b`astard.

watch soon for parts.
be startin it in couple weeks.

O

Odin

jpward said:
I think more being at the end of a tether :?
Well it sounds to me like this was a completely self induced failure, If it was over heating or losing water then why drive it with out getting it diagnosed and the problem fixed, You just don't drive a car that will over heat you know it will end in tears.

I am sorry to see another one go to the big pulsar grave yard in the sky though :doh: .

Rob

Fazz

Yep just at end of tether. Too much gone into it in repairs etc and I'm not gonna be one of the €30-40k pulsar owners....

Self induced is a bit harsh as it all happened on the one journey home.
Hindsight should have got uprated rad yonks ago.
Really, everything needs to be uprated on these cars when upping power imo as it is 15 yrs old etc. Anyway, Enough said.

I keep meticulous eyes on gauges etc and any sign of damage and I'm pulled over. Still wasn't enough this time.

Out the door and the end.

Parts list and pics up in 2 weeks.

P

pulsarboby

if you are breaking it fazz, take heed of my words!

the prices on parts have dropped a lot and are getting harder to shift.
look at ross with his quaife, he cant give it away at the moment, and you havent even got a good engine you can sell, which is the bulk money gain of a car being broke for spares.
you end up being stuck with many parts like interior, trim, transfer box, propshaft etc etc.

dont think im trying to put you off the idea, just because i flog parts, im only advising you for your own good, as i think you will lose an awfull lot of money if you do this;-)

you would be far better to walk away from it for a few weeks, and attack the problem again and fix it once youve calmed down a bit!
then if you still hate the thing, flog it as a running car.

as odin said, you cant really pin this one on the car, it may have been just a simple little fault like a sticky stat! but through continuing to drive it you have done serious damage, so i think you should go out in your back garden, and when no ones looking go and give yourself a rigfht good hiding for being a knob and driving it:lol:
then your sin will be repented;-)

O

Odin

Fazz said:
Self induced is a bit harsh as it all happened on the one journey home.

I only said that because you said yourself that it had over heated and you'd refilled and carried on :shock: , Which you just don't do on a car like this :doh: .

But I understand your point of view, If I knew then what I know now then mine would probably rocking back and forth, On top of a pile of other 5hitters down at the local scrappy :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Fazz

That second post a bit crazy there Robbie !

Have you been drinking???

@boby - I take your point, I've crunched the numbers and I'm not repairing it.
It'd be another 1.5-2k by time on road (rad, stat, water pump, recovery/transport, head, gasket, skimmed etc) and I'm not doing it. Even if I repaired it it would be to sell on and they are hard to sell over here at moment. Hell they're worth fook all over there too!
The block could even have problems but won't know till stripped.

I've done a rough list of what I know will sell and what may be hard, there's also a few round here that are in process of modding so may take a few bits at once.
Haven't even included body or panels as they'll just be pot luck.

Decision is made.

O

Odin

Fazz said:
That second post a bit crazy there Robbie !

Have you been drinking???

What post you on about fella ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You're the one on drugs matey ;-)

Rob