Improving MPG / Fuel economy.

chrism

Ive done a few eco-driving courses and you can get your MPG down by loads and the first and best way to do it is just to drive slower! Push the gas as little as possible. Its pretty simple really. My pulsar isnt a daily driver, Ive got a turbo diesel peugeot for that. However, its crap having to fill her up every other time youre going for a run in the pulsar. I usually spend 90+% of my time in the R driving slowly and calmly so it is nice to make the fuel last a bit longer.

There are other bits and bobs you can do to help the mgp. Increase tyre pressure. Keep the windows shut. The level of fuel consumption decreases for every gear you go up. Reverse uses most then 1st then 2nd etc. Reverse into spaces so you can drive straight out when the engines cold. Dont sit on tickover before you drive away. Switch the car off directly when you stop. Change into 2nd as soon as possible when pulling away. Rev up to roughly 3000 before changing gear and dont rev up too slowly either. Use the engine to brake as much as possible and change down to keep the revs up over ca1200 when braking. You´ll use absolutely no fuel when braking this way as long as youre above the ca 1200 revs. Brake in good time when in traffic so you dont have to stop ie roll up to the lights slowly instead of braking hard just before them.

I know it may seem a boring subject to many but its not a bad idea to save some fuel this way. Its just not possible to boot it all the time.

chrism

Obviously dont stop immediately after youve booted it. But during normal driving sitting on tickovers not going to help the turbo much as its still spinning.

pulsarmoley

Obviously dont stop immediately after youve booted it. But during normal driving sitting on tickovers not going to help the turbo much as its still spinning.
I would say that depends on turbo, i have a smaller than standard turbo and i still let it idle briefly even after a casual drive home.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member

Poor car! :(
Mine doesn't like it when I try that; it needs a blast every now and then to keep it running happily. - That probably means it's running a bit rich and things start to foul if I don't get it on boost often enough.

That doesn't mean I don't try to make the fuel last a bit longer, but I accept that it costs me to put my foot down... and generally it's a price I'm willing to pay.

I've got another tip: Stay away from cocks on the road. If you're on a quiet back road without some scooby or audi trying to prove they're better than you, it's a lot easier to keep the speed down and save fuel. :eek:k:

chrism

I drive most of the time in the city or the city ring-roads. Theres getting almost as many police speed controls as in the UK. Its not that often I take it out on some b-roads. I must admit but the roads back home in Fife are much better for some spirited driving.

P

pulsarboby

thing is all big powered cars are juicy not just pulsars which are good in comparison to scoobs etc

they are shaped like a brick, no aerodynamics whatsoever, in many cases badly modded/tuned and people drive them as though they stole them lol

baring all that in mind.....brake less & accelerate less, carry as little weight as possible and get the car serviced regularly to make sure its running efficiently
thats about as good as it gets