Ignition miss

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
turblio said:
I have the same problem with mine just as it comes on strong boost I get 3 to 4 loud backfires as you go up the rev range although tonight it has been better!? and this is at 1.35bar I have changed Ignition module, cap, plugs, Leads, resistor pack, coil, injectors, and am now considering the next option maybe change fuel pressure reg again just to eliminate it for certain, also have bought a new fuel filter in case there is a bit of muck that keeps getting in the flow and restricting it?... eff knows I dont!
but thats all all stock ignition isn't it

there must be a common factor between all of us

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
there must be a common factor between all of us
We all drive 15 year old Nissans :lol: :lol:

Frank's problem sounds like a straight misfire, maybe down to mapping with a few funny super rich cells? Does it misfire Frank with a hesitation?

turblio

campbellju said:
We all drive 15 year old Nissans :lol: :lol:

Frank's problem sounds like a straight misfire, maybe down to mapping with a few funny super rich cells? Does it misfire Frank with a hesitation?
Well it has had the same missfire with e-manage, and now I have fitted power fc its still there, so I cant see that its the mapping as I have been in the car when it was being mapped and we tried all different afr's but still much the same, to describe my missfire- if you have ever expeienced fuel starvation it is very similar but you can drive through it, I have had the same sort of missfire years back when I fitted a cheap fuel regulator, and yes steve it is all stock ignition, it is worse in 2nd or 3rd if you stamp the throttle but that is possibly just because of the gear ratio's emphasising the miss, hey ho its starting to pee me off a little now!

C

Crazy

I have exactley the same symptoms as you Frank, built and mapped by Hi Teq on stock ignition.

I was planning on upgrading to the MSD ignition to eliminate this problem!!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Crazy said:
I have exactley the same symptoms as you Frank, built and mapped by Hi Teq on stock ignition.

I was planning on upgrading to the MSD ignition to eliminate this problem!!!
Crazy read this

clicky

The MSD stuff doesn't eliminate it, it just moves the goal posts

Steve

C

Crazy

Mine does not do it at 1.2bar, only at 1.8bar but if I feed the power in gradually (not stamp the throttle to floor) it does not happen!!!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
@Frank, it sounds like you are barking up the right trees so I don't know what to suggest.

What plug gaps are you running? Have you tried dropping to 0.5mm?

There is definately something funky happening here for all of us. I don't know if its connected but I might have a go this week with that new distributor to rulle out another thing.

Fusion Ed

reading the signals from the crank/cam output it looks like it will be easy to make a wasted spark system from this. Ill update later.

gtirx2

What do your guys R's do if you hold the rev at 2500-3000rpm on the spot in neteral?Does it splutter about or hold the revs smoothly.

turblio

mine splutters a little up and down almost like fuel atomisation is irregular, although I still think the TPS may play a part in this if its worn or out of scale?...
but first I am going to try a different fuel reg

gtirx2

Mine does the same,make me wonder if its one of the throttle bodies out of adjustment now? as i have tryed most other things.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
with no load on it, mine is a smooth as snake siht right up to the redline, it only misses under load at about 3500 - 4500 on full boost

Last edited:

dave

i had ignition miss few weeks ago, i tooks out the injectors and put ones of DSM Eclipse or Evo 450cc and problem fixed, then i took the old 444cc to the LAB for clean, check and leak and found one injector leaking.

turblio

Right, have just been out in it and it is rapid with no missfire, but the air is cool not like when I was in it this morning in the heat and it missed a few times, the intake temps were 21degrees earlier but this evening they were 13, not sure if trhis makes any difference really...

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Hummm, thats interesting cos mine only does it when fully warmed up.

I might remove the passenger head light (just as an experiment) to drop the under bonnet temps, see if that helps.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just been out doing some tests with the brand new Dizzy Stu lent me. Its not definitive because I'd like to repeat the results but my old dizzy was making "phhut" misfire sounds on lean cruise. A swap as quickly as I could and then it was perfectly smooth. I already know my PFC is more sensitive to the dizzy signal and my current one is the second one I've used. It could be noise in the wiring rather than the Dizzy and a brand new dizzy gives a squarer signal?

I was probably right the first time in that its our cars are just getting on a bit and we're all chasing different problems.

O

Odin

I would think that all of the pulsar dizzys would need a rebuild by now, It's not that expensive to get done, Or bite the bullet and buy a new one from Nissan.

In fact everything in the ignition system should be replaced with new on the cars trying to squeeze over 400 bhp out of the old girls lol.

Rob

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Do you know anyone who does it?

I did find a place in a classic car mag a while ago, I gave them a call and was told it would only cost about £60 8) ;-) , So that's probably what I'll do when I get it all back from Agra.

Rob