i want a quieter exhaust

dotalot

scorpion does have a backbox and is a much more subtle sounding system.......and it just happens that i have a very nice one in stock lol.

if you want something quieter than that then i have a 3'' mild steel cat back section with resonator and backbox which is all in good nick also
Pm sent

R R' us

ive got a decat goose with 3" pipe and mine aint that loud tbh. unless you've got the window open and doin about 3500rpm and then you can hear a nice burble

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I know people say you look like a pimp, but the departure system is quite a good idea - split the pipe and put two mufflers in; double the silencing with the same exhaust flow-through.
I will say that there are some clearance issues with it though... and because of that I haven't managed to get mine fitted.
Is that my old back box George?

The middle box helps but it is ultimately too small. Having a 3" drainpipe connected to the engine still means it will always be loud and you need a decent back box to get the sound down to an acceptable level.

Here is my experience

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44350&highlight=exhaust

In the photos You can see the middle box is tiny compared to the back box.

The other design detail is having a 4" tip in theory acts like a megaphone on the exhuast so I went for a simple 3".

If you want a back box you either do what I have done and get a custom unit fabricated or source a Scorpion/OE style that bends all around the houses to get the exhaust tip on the drivers side.

Jim

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No - that was when I still had the departure system, but that isn't speedbump friendly (and Mr Chan said it looked like a pimp's car).

I've got your old system on now. - Much better power than with the old front pipe (it was only a decat-back system), but it does still give a bit of drone on the motorway... I suspect it's still a lot quieter than some of the systems out there; you certainly don't hear it coming from miles away.

If I could get the noise inside the cabin down, I might actually get my wife in the car more often... I don't want to have to put the old front pipe back on, so I've been looking at inserts etc that could be placed before (or after) the decat to break the standing wave(s).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
George, I know I've said it before but have you gunked all the joints with exhaust sealer. I found that helped a lot from when I first got the exhaust to when I'd finished.

I've still got the stuff around that I used you can have (Though it might be hard now!?!)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I put firegum on the joints. - I didn't do a great job because it failed the MOT on an exhaust leak, but that was mainly because I'd put a 3" gasket it.
I didn't put a ring in that knuckle joint, and I think I probably should have (to stop allow a bit of flex and stop it booming). I was thinking about putting some silicone in the joints instead so that they're all flexible.

It seems to be quieter out of the car than in it which is why I'm thinking about how I can stop it transferring the vibration. - Keeps me off the streets if nothing else.

Here it is....

...and in the car (I need to fix that bumper up):

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I'v had vibration with all 3 of my exhausts when I lift off over 3500 rpm. Very annoying

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I didn't put a ring in that knuckle joint, and I think I probably should have (to stop allow a bit of flex and stop it booming). I was thinking about putting some silicone in the joints instead so that they're all flexible
That's what I'm talking about. The guy who had fit it before me did the same as you. Some high temp exhaust gasket sealant and it was like a different exhaust. :thumbsup: Do all the joints (Basically re-fit it again ;-):doh:)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm just not sure what the right product to use is... I pinched some glassware sealing compound from work (for keeping distillation kit together), so I'll try that. I'm just a little concerned that it might not be up to the heat.

It's not as bad a job as it sounds really; get a jack under the car and do it joint by joint. The decat is really easy, it's only the backbox which will cause a problem.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
How about some.... high temp exhaust gasket sealant? Costs less than £5 from a motor factors. It goes on gunky then cures and seals when hot. Simples

vss irvine

make sure you clean up all the flanges (love that word!) with emery first, get all the rust/loose shit off the faces