i want a quieter exhaust

PulsarTom

i want to keep my exhaust as it is, just want her quieter. was wondering it a silencer will quieten in by a considerable amount? thanks on advance tom

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
i want to keep my exhaust as it is, just want her quieter. was wondering it a silencer will quieten in by a considerable amount? thanks on advance tom
What brand of exhaust is it?

Normally a competent exhaust builder could replace an existing centre section with a larger baffled box to reduce noise.

PulsarTom

I have absoloutely no idea, as ive had the car 2 years and the exhaust was on it when i purchased her. All its got on the can is "RACE USE ONLY" imprinted down the can, lol. Yeah i was thinking that, but just wondering if it might be cheaper getting another cat back system as they dont got for alot of money on here, plus exhaust makers round my way are dead expensive.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I have absoloutely no idea, as ive had the car 2 years and the exhaust was on it when i purchased her. All its got on the can is "RACE USE ONLY" imprinted down the can, lol. Yeah i was thinking that, but just wondering if it might be cheaper getting another cat back system as they dont got for alot of money on here, plus exhaust makers round my way are dead expensive.
You could pick up a second-hand mongoose, but there not on the quiet side. Scorpion exhausts seem to be good for noise, but its not often they come up for sale.

Might be worth looking for that larger baffle box, I know when my mongoose was too loud for track I had a £50 centre section (replacement) fitted and it made a noticeable difference.

davey red.r

if you can? get a magnex,they are the quitest system for the r but as rare as rocking horse shit, i got one few month ago and i love it.after having a goose for 2yr:oops:its a quality exhaust with a silencer after cat and a large back box, so quiet:-D i can now hear the turbo and blow of valve whilst driving:lol:

davey

jjs

i know with the mongoose, you can fit a silencer instead of the decat pipe , and a cherry bomb before the rear axle , makes a difference, have to find out whats on yours, and if the goose parts would be compatible,

PulsarTom

Yeah i duno where to start as my exhaust has nothing written on her or nothing, looks like none ive seen before, but is very annoying not being able to hear engine whilst driving, plus my interior is stripped so even louder now, just going to get a large baffle box and get my mate to weld it in there for me i think, see where that takes me! Thanks for your time people. Tommy

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Just taken off my Mongoose and fitted a Scorpian and the differance is amazing.

Bob says fitting a silenced cat reduced the noise on his car by a few DB's. I'v got one if your interested? (well I'v got 2 but ones staying on the car)

RU55 GTR

You could fit a de-cat silencer (looks similar to the cat, but baffled)? To be honest though, mine was fitted with one of these I don't think it helped much.

You could fit an ECV (Exhaust Control Valve)? The butterfly in-line through the exhaust cuts down the reverb' and hence quitens the note, but you will loose performance. :sad: However, you can get two different types of adjustable ones, manual or electronic. With these you can adjust the angle of the butterfly from with-in the car, so when you need to be quieter, you close it and when you want all your power, open it up!!! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!? All the best!!! :-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I know people say you look like a pimp, but the departure system is quite a good idea - split the pipe and put two mufflers in; double the silencing with the same exhaust flow-through.
I will say that there are some clearance issues with it though... and because of that I haven't managed to get mine fitted.

PulsarTom

Yeah ru55 gtr that does sound quite good, i like the dea of just poodling around have it quieter then when opened up, adjust to have performance plus noise. Ive just bought a cat back scorpion of neil, so hopefully this will help alot! Will check loudness once fitted. cheers guys Tommy

dotalot

Thought id resurrect this thread instead of starting my own. My mongoose is starting to annoy me , I feel a bit like a chav when I overtake, and I know policemen will hear me a country mile away. What im after is a bit of stealth so I can blast about with people taking less notice.
Someone mentioned a magnex being the quietest, but the only one they list is a loud one with no back box.
So whats the best option? Does a scorpion come with a rear box?

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I belive Andys Goose was 98db, which it loud in my books.

I'v got the scorpian and it has a rear box which sits under the boot. Took some getting used to as it is that much better than a goose. Can get apicture if your interested? mine cost me £60 delivered :thumbsup: and sole the goose for about £100 so made money, saved my ears. Only downside is I can now hear the missus when driving lol

P

pulsarboby

scorpion does have a backbox and is a much more subtle sounding system.......and it just happens that i have a very nice one in stock lol.

if you want something quieter than that then i have a 3'' mild steel cat back section with resonator and backbox which is all in good nick also

keastygtir

Kenan is right, down our way our traffic cops have got noise testing kit. I changed my goose to a scorpion and its night and day.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think that's the way to go Bob; enough bore to get the power, but with a backbox to keep the noise down.
Mine is only 2.5" with a twin-exit backbox, and is pretty quiet by GTi-R standards... but it's still too noisy for my wife when I get that sonic boom at about 3000rpm. - I think it sounds quite good from the street; quiet, but you can hear that this isn't just another Sunny, just a little warble.... and of course a backfire on the over-run.

darkyGTI-R

I think that's the way to go Bob; enough bore to get the power, but with a backbox to keep the noise down.
Mine is only 2.5" with a twin-exit backbox, and is pretty quiet by GTi-R standards... but it's still too noisy for my wife when I get that sonic boom at about 3000rpm. - I think it sounds quite good from the street; quiet, but you can hear that this isn't just another Sunny, just a little warble.... and of course a backfire on the over-run.

Don't you just love the back fire noise lol especially when the engine is nice amd warm say if straight off the motorway and into the suburbs lol

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Someone mentioned a magnex being the quietest, but the only one they list is a loud one with no back box.
So whats the best option?
Go down to the local exhaust shop and get them to change the old centre section baffle (the one that replaces the cat) for a new bigger unit installed.

That'll make all the difference and it's much cheaper than getting a whole new system.