How To Direct battery power to fuel pump

M

midnightpurple

and i think I am there aready ;-) not the first time I have managed to do that to myself. Hope the thread doesnt feel jacked..... Should be covered to death unless there is a simple answer LOL

yer I think there is too much of an answer here lol.
Shall i sum it all up?

- Rewiring the fuel pump is better because..... it just is! :)

dotalot

I already have this done, as I aquired a wiring fault somewhere in the loom and rather that trace it, I just ran a new feed from the relay.
But what are you recommending that I do with the earth???

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
yer I think there is too much of an answer here lol.
Shall i sum it all up?

- Rewiring the fuel pump is better because..... it just is! :)
:lol::lol: .........

Funny thing is though Leigh already told me the other day and i quote
I'm not a big fan of the mass debate of niff naff and crap from peeps that know something about nothing
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbsup: so I just surmised from that that he's a quiet chap that like to keep himself to himself, so if that's him being quiet at this rate I'm going to have to ask for more space on the server lol

M

midnightpurple

I couldnt help myself Steve and knew I would get bitten for joining in...... :-0 Anyways buddy, I'm trying to catch up with the 13k+ posts you have made ;-) few more days like this and I should be set..... TaLa

M

midnightpurple

P.S I am glad you had spotted me going on about something and nothing in particular and knowing neither where I was coming from or going to :)

Fusion Ed

I've said "how to" but for the record could you explain technically why it works and makes so much difference over just re earthing the pump.......please :)

Steve
I don't specifically mean earth. The drop is more likely to be on the live side, as that run is longer on the pulsar. Under boost I have had fuel pumps on pulsar drop to 8volts. This causes a pressure drop. this can be hidden if the injectors are large as you just open the duty further but this means the map is not linear - and is how I can tell if there is a problem with the fuel pressure. I.e. x load = x fuel, 2x load = 3x fuel = problem. x load = x fuel, 2x load = 2x fuel = expected, all is ok.

HTH.

Ed

williams

basically, the pump will get a higher voltage wired directly to the pump rather than taking its power from the rest of the wiring loom. higher voltage will make the pump run at a higher pressure, which will hopefully prevent you running lean at any point, giving your injectors the fuel they need.

just to double check, the fuse between battery and pump is 30A?

just to double check, the fuse between battery and pump is 30A?
depends what wire you have? the fuse is there to protect the wire and needs to be rated lower than the cable. Sorry to get technical again :sad:
30A is too much though mate, you need to fit a smaller one. (assuming the pump doesn't draw 30A lol)

yer that will be fine mate if you are using that size cable. I would say go even lower but i don't know what the pump would draw so probably best to stick in a 20A. Bearing in mind that if you fit a 25A fuse, it won't blow at 30A and will still let that current flow for quite a while.

williams

got it all wired up now, is it ok to put a new earth from pump directly to battery? or do i need to keep the original?

PulsarLee

Hiya,
Been having cut out probs with my r for weeks now, can be driving at any speed,and the car just cuts,out totally. usually starts straight away, have noticed that you can tell if its going to start when you turn the ignition on as somtimes you hear a bzzzz from the pump in the back and sometimes, no,noise and the car wont start.:evil:
Have looked at the wiring around the fuel pumpand it looks a mess. even a bare wire:shock:. think the car has a walbro fitted and someones bodged the wiring. anyway, after,fiddling,about,the,car,seemed ok for 20 miles but then back to cut out :cry:.
Also the car now runs crap and sounds flat with, dosent even sound like its boosting correctly even though the gauge shows boost. Did a fault check and showing 34 det sensor. could it be that because of the fuel starvation / cut out this has activated the det sensor and this has retarded the timing.

Any thoughts guys... driving me mad now.

cheers,
Lee