Horn don't work :(

A

Az

Just noticed my horn don't work :cry: :lol:

I suppose thats an MOT fail then?

Is this common, easy / expensive to fix? I took the face off the wheel and everything seemed connected. Any idea's?

J

jiw

check the horns by powering the terminal up to the battery with a spare wire.
also have you pulled the centre of the steering wheel off to see if its plugged in?
if its plugged in and the horns work when direct to battery try unplugging it from the button and touching the metal on the plug to the steel part of the steering wheel, jeff

A

Anonymous

Here in france, Horn is too call a girl, if there is a problem we SHOUTTTTTTTTTT !! :shock: :lol:

B

Brett G

Not sure if the ignition switch has to be on or not, so turn it on anyway then get someone to push the horn switch (on the steering wheel) while you listen in the engine bay you should hear a click as the switch is pushed (relay or something), this is what I was getting when mine didn't work. If you hear the clicking then I think its just a bad connection on the power or earth side of the horn itself (or possibly the horn is faulty) the horn is found behind the front grill, attatched to the bonnet release catch.
If your not getting the click sound when the horn button is pushed then maybe the fuse, the relay (if thats what it has??) or the wiring. Time to get the multimeter out! :shock:

J

J-GTi-R

Eric-R said:
Here in france, we are all nutters that drive around shouting at each other:shock: :lol:
That's what I thought you said... :lol: :lol:

A

Az

Thanks for the suggestions.

Having looked at it today in the light there is 3 contact points on the wheel, but only 2 seem to have wires going to them. I presume 1 is missing?

I've only got one wire inside my wheel and the horn still works... :?: :!:

What i was going to suggest was cleaning the terminals which are under the bonnet and click into the noise making jobbie itself. Mine were rusted up a bit -when i first got the car i had no horn either- wire brushing solved it.

J

John Mc

On the reverse of my horn push button there are 2 connections, one wire comes up through the column, which is the live feed and the other I connected to the main nut holding the boss kit on. My horn didn't work either until I connected the earth to the boss kit nut. Hope this helps

John

A

Az

Tried everything and it still won't work :x

Cleaned up both the terminals on the front of the car by the bonnet catch (were quite grubby and crud), reconnected but still nothing. No clicking either.

Tried changing the fuse too, but with no luck. Still no click. Must be a connection issue somewhere I can't see. Maybe a wire has melted or something :?

Pretty annoying as I would think it's an MOT failure and I can't beep the idiots who cut me up or pull out infront of me :shock:

M

Mart

Did u try the relay?

Mine melted, quick trip to the breakers. SORTED

M

Mart

It is in between the batt and the wing, should have a plastic cover telling u which relay is which

A

Az

Mart said:
It is in between the batt and the wing, should have a plastic cover telling u which relay is which
Oh yeh I checked that. It has a red 10 in it. I even tried a different one, still with no luck :(

A

Az

Still can't get the fucker to work :x :x

Took some pics of the front, crap connection I know, but the contact is ok...

Also took some of fuse box, all looks to be there.

:?: