high oil temp

nismo-400R

hi,think i might have a problem,my oil temp is goin high on idle like 90 or 95deg,ive just changed the oil temp sender unit as the metal bit was broke on the other one,and now this is happenin it was fine before didnt show over 80deg on idle,water temp gauge is showing ok doesnt overheat the fan is working,its not losing water or oil and the heaters are blowing hot inside,ive got a spec-r rad but had made out of copper not alloy,and a 16row oil cooler,im using siloklene 10w50 oil,car drives fine oil pressure is fine to,any ideas?thanks in advance

NU773R

rob did you use to be a teacher or something or do you have some sort of obsession with peoples spelling?? :lol:

nismo-400R

thanks odin for the spelling corrections,i havnt thrashed it but im worried the oil temp gauge will start showing over the halfway mark which i thought wasnt good?

Jonesy

Not sure on your spec but even when im ragging mine the oil temp doesnt even reach 95 degc, not had it on the track yet though and thats with the standard rad. Also i doubt the standard gauges are that accurate mine could be reading quiet a bit different from yours. Wouldnt worry about it aslong as it doesnt get to high.

nismo-400R

mine never used to reach 95degc either when ragging it,how high should it not go on the stock gauge?i might take it on alittle motorway drive and see what temp it stays at,what does your temp stay at when normal driving odin?

youngsyp

Oil needs to be up to temperature to do it's job properly. Realistically, it should be at a minimum of 70 degrees C before you stress the engine but, 80 to 90 degrees C is probably better.

As Rob pointed out, the Silkolene 10w50 will be just fine up to 140 to 150 degrees C but, will be very thin at that temperature level.

If you're monitoring your oil, the best gauge to look at is the oil pressure gauge. That will tell you a lot more than the oil temp gauge will.

Paul

nismo-400R

oil pressure is fine,i took my forge oil catch tank off and noticed the pipe which is to the left that goes back to the block near the exhaust manifold had some mayo in it,but ive checked other places like under oil cap,dipstick,and coolant bottle tank and theres nothing,i even flushed out the rad and theres nothing,what would cause it in that pipe?

A few months back i was getting oil temps of 100 degrees after only a few mins of driving, yet water temp was fine. Turned out the thermostat wasnt opening, the water and hence the oil were then getting very hot. Apparently its a fairly common problem with the water temp gauge not going over a certain point, and not giving a true reading :shock: Changed my thermostat and all was fine again.

Dan

vss irvine

change your thermostat, it could be 15 years old!

flush the system and put new antifreeze/summer coolant in.

your guages could also be faulty?

bob the breaker had a thread about inaccurate pressure/temp guages a while back.

nismo-400R

yeh that is high,i changed my thermostat and its still the same,could it be my mocal oil cooler sandwich plate not operating right?